DWG TrueView

devcrowley
Message 11 of 16 (2,461 Views)

Re: DWG TrueView 2013 - Convert DWG to older formats with AEC Object Exploded

08-08-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: pendean

I don't see any way to open a drawing in Trueview in any special way, so I'm assuming that only works for Autocad itself.  We don't have access to Autocad 2013 (yet) -- only Trueview 2013, so it looks like I'm just out of luck.

I don't like to ask our clients to send saved down versions of drawings as it reflects poorly on us.  However, it doesn't look like I have any other option.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 12 of 16 (2,457 Views)

08-08-2012 11:26 AM in reply to: devcrowley

You can always download the trial and use it for 30-days... .

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mike.Whitfield
Message 13 of 16 (2,338 Views)

09-18-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: devcrowley

Nice to see Autodesk is expanding its policy of every version working better than the next to TrueView.  Oh wait, that's the opposite of nice . . .

So is Autodesk coming out with some stand-alone pay product to explode the AEC objects, or a super premium package combining all Autodesk programs, or what?  There must be some scheme to squeeze out some more cash; surely Autodesk didn't just break TrueView by accidental negligence.  Downloading each vertical application's trial version can't possibly be the official solution here.  

As MEP consultants we get drawings from a variety of architects and civil engineers using a variety of applications, most Autodesk, many of which have embedded AEC objects.  Right now my only solutions to a 2013 format file with AEC objects are to ask the sender to strip them out and resend, to purchase all AutoCad vertical applications (calm down, not gonna happen), or to save down with TrueView 2013 on one computer, then strip out the AEC objects on a different computer with an older version of TrueView.  Gotta be a better way.  Can anyone recommend a non-Autodesk product to handle this?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 14 of 16 (2,334 Views)

09-18-2012 10:34 AM in reply to: Mike.Whitfield

"... ask the sender to strip them out and resend..."

IMHO, this is the best option as the file creator, not you the recipient, is allowed to review the file for content accuracy (as in nothing disappeared) before sending it on. Verticals remain an issue, the best way to deal with AEC content is in the program that created them, everywhere else and anything else remains half-baked since this all became a reality back in R2002-R2004.

"...So is Autodesk coming out with..."

"...be the official solution here..."

Yeah, a whole suite fo them, called 2013 versions of AutoCAD. Did I really need to point it out? :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Contributor
randyspear6624
Message 15 of 16 (616 Views)

02-17-2014 03:35 AM in reply to: pendean

We still need a solution to this for 2014. It's usually the same situation as the others but occasionally it's MY file and the dwg is just to large to run the export command from inside C3D. The other problem is that some of our users will get newer versions before others (this is dictated by client standards) so to prevent people using older versions to constantly be bugging the users with newer versions, I've always told them to use trueview to do it themselves. (teach a man to fish...)

The bottom line is the functionality was there and now it's not. IMO, this is just another tactic to force people to upgrade sooner.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 16 of 16 (610 Views)

02-17-2014 10:59 AM in reply to: bakerrl2
There are two free batch-processing tools at the Autidesk Exchange Apps website that can be used to to help convert batches of files in the background or foreground in C3D if you need a solution now.

There is no cure for DTV2013 or DTV2014 and if there will be a DTV2015 it's a couple of months away I presume, assuming it will reverse the limitation.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community