DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break .dwg file association from TrueView?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hbohm
1727 Views, 4 Replies

Break .dwg file association from TrueView?

This is more of an annoyance than a problem. I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2012 with Vault 2012 (free-version) & DWG TrueView 2012 on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

My annoyance is this: when I double-click on a .dwg from Windows Explorer, sometimes TrueView opens the file, instead of ACADE. That being said, I do know how the DWG Launcher is supposed to work, but I'm hoping there is a way to "break" the association of .dwg files with TrueView altogether.

I do not use TrueView at ALL, so I'm not concerned about the program's functionality. I would just uninstall it, however, the only reason it is on my system is because Vault uses TrueView to create DWF files for itself. ACADE on the otherhand, uses it's own separate driver to do this.

Does anyone know of a way to "break" this file association inside the registry? I'm willing to try any suggestions...if I haven't tried them already that is. Thanks!

-hbohm

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: hbohm

I was under the impression that like ADR, Vault will use an installed AutoCAD version instead of Trueview when available.

Are you sure about it?

Windows resorts to the last app to assign itself the DWG extension: try it with most PDF viewers and apps and see it happen there too. Search the AutoCAD forums, not here, for the many tips and options you have to do what you seek.

Message 3 of 5
hbohm
in reply to: pendean

If TrueView is not installed, when I click the "Update" button in the preview pane in Vault, it comes back with an error dialog that says the dwf cannot be created. When TrueView is installed, everything works as expected.

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Then I would recommend the second part of my reply, searching the AutoCAD forums, not here, for tips.

Message 5 of 5
GTVic

The aclauncher is always associated with DWG files so it does not help to adjust the file association. ACLauncher registers the last used AutoCAD application and opens that one when you launch a DWG from Explorer.

On our computers this could be AutoCAD 2009 or AutoCAD 2011 or DWG TrueView 2011 since we have all three installed.

After creating a DWF file, manually launch AutoCAD and then you should get the correct behaviour until the next time you use DWG TrueView.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report