Community
DWF
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is DWF viewer released. It is pitiful.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
480 Views, 17 Replies

Why is DWF viewer released. It is pitiful.

I am sick of trying to work with DWF files. The format and viewers have changed so often that nothing seems to work anymore. I can't rotate the view to fit landscape sheets. I can't control layer visibility in my DWF's even though I have many layers "thawed" and "on" in my plots. I want black backgrounds in my viewer, not WHITE!. I installed the latest DWF viewer alongside the Expressviewer, and now Expressviewer does not work and I cannot uninstall it. I wanted to show a department manager how DWF files can be useful for finding utilities in the field and when I tried to plot a small sample 400 DPI resolution 8x12 file with an aerial photo, it took so long that he gave up waiting and left. I have uninstalled, downloaded and re-installed DWF Writer and DWF viewer and still can't get layer controls to work. VoloView no longer will view the new format either. I was happy with VoloView, now I can't work with anything!
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The layer problem is DWF Writer. If I use DWF6 ePlot the layer controls are available, but if I use DWF writer, they are not. Also, DWF6 ePlot will plot to landscape orientation, DWF Writer will not. Neil W" wrote in message news:409fdd4b$1_3@newsprd01... > I am sick of trying to work with DWF files. The format and viewers have > changed so often that nothing seems to work anymore. > > I can't rotate the view to fit landscape sheets. I can't control layer > visibility in my DWF's even though I have many layers "thawed" and "on" in > my plots. I want black backgrounds in my viewer, not WHITE!. I installed the > latest DWF viewer alongside the Expressviewer, and now Expressviewer does > not work and I cannot uninstall it. > > I wanted to show a department manager how DWF files can be useful for > finding utilities in the field and when I tried to plot a small sample 400 > DPI resolution 8x12 file with an aerial photo, it took so long that he gave > up waiting and left. > > I have uninstalled, downloaded and re-installed DWF Writer and DWF viewer > and still can't get layer controls to work. VoloView no longer will view the > new format either. > > I was happy with VoloView, now I can't work with anything! > >
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

DWFWriter is just a printer driver. No layers in prints to your Laserjet, not Layers in prints to DWFWriter. You need to use AutoCAD's DWF PC3 files, edit them as needed for Layer controls and backgrounds. Same with orientation. Explore buying DWF Composer if you really want to get into DWF as much as you claim: like PDF with that much control up front, it's not free. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

I saw nothing in the DWF writer settings to control background color or layer controls. "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:409fe19f_1@newsprd01... > DWFWriter is just a printer driver. No layers in prints to your Laserjet, > not Layers in prints to DWFWriter. You need to use AutoCAD's DWF PC3 files, > edit them as needed for Layer controls and backgrounds. > > Same with orientation. > > Explore buying DWF Composer if you really want to get into DWF as much as > you claim: like PDF with that much control up front, it's not free. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

The DWF Writer doesn't have any settings for the background color. DWF Writer is a simple print driver that supports what you might send to a paper printer. We have many of the items you noted as wishlist items that will be considered for the next release. I will add to that list the request to control the background color. If you are using a product that natively supports output of DWF's, without the use of DWF Writer, I would suggest using those drivers. They offer more features than DWF Writer. -- John Schmier Autodesk, Inc. "Neil W" wrote in message news:409feb53_1@newsprd01... > I saw nothing in the DWF writer settings to control background color or > layer controls. > > > > "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message > news:409fe19f_1@newsprd01... > > DWFWriter is just a printer driver. No layers in prints to your Laserjet, > > not Layers in prints to DWFWriter. You need to use AutoCAD's DWF PC3 > files, > > edit them as needed for Layer controls and backgrounds. > > > > Same with orientation. > > > > Explore buying DWF Composer if you really want to get into DWF as much as > > you claim: like PDF with that much control up front, it's not free. > > > > -- > > Dean Saadallah > > Add-on products for LT > > http://www.pendean.com/lt > > -- > > > > > >
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

Not what I said: re-read my post. In AutoCAD, use the appropriate PC3 file for DWF output, make your output changes there. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

I am using the PC3 file. Again, there are no settings to control layers or background. However, I have a better understanding of the purpose of DWFWriter now and will use the DWF6 ePlot driver for output. "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:409ffbc7_1@newsprd01... > Not what I said: re-read my post. > > In AutoCAD, use the appropriate PC3 file for DWF output, make your output > changes there. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Neil, You set it all in the custom properties for the DWF E-Plot, see the attached. I created an new pc3 for each type of DWF you might ever want to plot as. Note the screen shot is from R2005 Murph "Neil W" wrote in message news:40a0d1ec_1@newsprd01... > I am using the PC3 file. Again, there are no settings to control layers or > background. However, I have a better understanding of the purpose of > DWFWriter now and will use the DWF6 ePlot driver for output. > > "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message > news:409ffbc7_1@newsprd01... > > Not what I said: re-read my post. > > > > In AutoCAD, use the appropriate PC3 file for DWF output, make your output > > changes there. > > > > -- > > Dean Saadallah > > Add-on products for LT > > http://www.pendean.com/lt > > -- > > > > > >
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks Murph. I can see that the ePlot driver gives me the control I wanted. The DWF writer is not the ideal driver for Autocad, but only a means to generate DWF's from other applications. "Murph" wrote in message news:40a0e325_2@newsprd01... > Neil, > You set it all in the custom properties for the DWF E-Plot, see the > attached. I created an new pc3 for each type of DWF you might ever want to > plot as. Note the screen shot is from R2005 > > Murph > > "Neil W" wrote in message > news:40a0d1ec_1@newsprd01... > > I am using the PC3 file. Again, there are no settings to control layers or > > background. However, I have a better understanding of the purpose of > > DWFWriter now and will use the DWF6 ePlot driver for output. > > > > "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message > > news:409ffbc7_1@newsprd01... > > > Not what I said: re-read my post. > > > > > > In AutoCAD, use the appropriate PC3 file for DWF output, make your > output > > > changes there. > > > > > > -- > > > Dean Saadallah > > > Add-on products for LT > > > http://www.pendean.com/lt > > > -- > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

You got it. And once you get a handle on it you never want to go PDF again. :) Now if only we can get the Map Book Plot to work with it. Murph "Neil W" wrote in message news:40a0e5ff$1_3@newsprd01... > Thanks Murph. I can see that the ePlot driver gives me the control I wanted. > The DWF writer is not the ideal driver for Autocad, but only a means to > generate DWF's from other applications. >
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

Yes, plot map set needs to be addressed. But even more so we need better performance. If you have tried to plot a drawing that has a photo you will see what I mean. It is horrendous. Also, the simple ability to rotate a drawing in DWF viewer. That is so basic it is hard to comprehend that we can't do it yet. I can't send out DWF's for viewing until that feature is fixed. "Murph" wrote in message news:40a0eaef$1_2@newsprd01... > You got it. And once you get a handle on it you never want to go PDF again. > :) > Now if only we can get the Map Book Plot to work with it. > > Murph > > "Neil W" wrote in message > news:40a0e5ff$1_3@newsprd01... > > Thanks Murph. I can see that the ePlot driver gives me the control I > wanted. > > The DWF writer is not the ideal driver for Autocad, but only a means to > > generate DWF's from other applications. > > > >
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Rotation may be a basic concept, but it's technically a very hard nut to crack. "Neil W" wrote in message news:40a0f34a$1_2@newsprd01... > Yes, plot map set needs to be addressed. But even more so we need better > performance. If you have tried to plot a drawing that has a photo you will > see what I mean. It is horrendous. > > Also, the simple ability to rotate a drawing in DWF viewer. That is so basic > it is hard to comprehend that we can't do it yet. I can't send out DWF's for > viewing until that feature is fixed. > > "Murph" wrote in message > news:40a0eaef$1_2@newsprd01... > > You got it. And once you get a handle on it you never want to go PDF > again. > > :) > > Now if only we can get the Map Book Plot to work with it. > > > > Murph > > > > "Neil W" wrote in message > > news:40a0e5ff$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Thanks Murph. I can see that the ePlot driver gives me the control I > > wanted. > > > The DWF writer is not the ideal driver for Autocad, but only a means to > > > generate DWF's from other applications. > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

I am confident that the programmers are up to the task! "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40a234d0$1_1@newsprd01... > Rotation may be a basic concept, but it's technically a very hard nut to > crack. >
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Now that's more like it. 🙂 A far cry from "Why is DWF viewer released. It is pitiful." ;-> "Neil W" wrote in message news:40a25660$1_2@newsprd01... > I am confident that the programmers are up to the task! > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote > in message news:40a234d0$1_1@newsprd01... > > Rotation may be a basic concept, but it's technically a very hard nut to > > crack. > > > >
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

The viewer in the Oce Client Tools (free download) does rotation. See attached screen shots. Govert "Neil W" schreef in bericht news:40a25660$1_2@newsprd01... > I am confident that the programmers are up to the task! > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote > in message news:40a234d0$1_1@newsprd01... > > Rotation may be a basic concept, but it's technically a very hard nut to > > crack. > > > >
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

There you go Jeff. Pass this on to the programmers! "Govert J. Knopper" wrote in message news:40a35376_1@newsprd01... > The viewer in the Oce Client Tools (free download) does rotation. See > attached screen shots. > > Govert > > "Neil W" schreef in bericht > news:40a25660$1_2@newsprd01... > > I am confident that the programmers are up to the task! > > > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" > wrote > > in message news:40a234d0$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Rotation may be a basic concept, but it's technically a very hard nut to > > > crack. > > > > > > > > > >
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

HHERE CAN I GET THE OCE VIEWER?
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

http://www.oceplancenter.com It is a free download. We make our money on other things like selling Repro Desk and Plan Center subscriptions. We also have that hardware thing. :-) "max_eclipse" wrote in message news:18104126.1084804741349.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > HHERE CAN I GET THE OCE VIEWER?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services