Did you mean: 

SS Drawing revisions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
matthew.stuart
194 Views, 4 Replies

SS Drawing revisions

Hey all,
Ongoing debate like to share with you re: Digital copies of drawings from CAD, .plt, .dwf. and .pdf. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We used to keep paper record copies of superceded revisions (a long long time ago!) we then chose, due mainly to space restrictions, plus all that bloody paper was becoming a fire hazard!
We then, (abt 2yrs ago) progressed to using .plt's, using MS-DOS, theory was anyone needing the record copy would just send the .plt to the printer - there you go.
However.....
With the current trend of project extranets appearing relentless, need to investigate other 'record' formats i.e. formats than can be viewed but not edited, but as mentioned, with various different extranets requiring differing formats, we need a universal origin file, if you like.
Currently looking at .dwfs as can create .pdfs from those.
Basically question is..........
PDF vs DWF vs PLTs???

Some info would be appreciated.
Thanx in adv

Matt
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: matthew.stuart

As you have already figured out, PLT files are device dependent. PDF is device independent and everyone already has the viewer; however, in a PDF the geometry has already been reduced to lines, arcs, circles, etc.. What happens if you get the new DWF Composer or some new tool someday that provides snazzy capabilities? If you get one for example that calculates square footage, you may want to go back and calculate square footage on that job we did way back in 2004. If you have DWF files around, you can use your new tools on your old files. Since you can generate a PDF from a DWF but not the other way around, I would think you would want DWF. But I have been saying that in this newsgroup and the Volo newsgroup for two years now. I am biased. "mattstu" wrote in message news:27400779.1082387489422.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hey all, > Ongoing debate like to share with you re: Digital copies of drawings from CAD, .plt, .dwf. and .pdf. . . . . . . . . . . . . . > We used to keep paper record copies of superceded revisions (a long long time ago!) we then chose, due mainly to space restrictions, plus all that bloody paper was becoming a fire hazard! > We then, (abt 2yrs ago) progressed to using .plt's, using MS-DOS, theory was anyone needing the record copy would just send the .plt to the printer - there you go. > However..... > With the current trend of project extranets appearing relentless, need to investigate other 'record' formats i.e. formats than can be viewed but not edited, but as mentioned, with various different extranets requiring differing formats, we need a universal origin file, if you like. > Currently looking at .dwfs as can create .pdfs from those. > Basically question is.......... > PDF vs DWF vs PLTs??? > > Some info would be appreciated. > Thanx in adv > > > > Matt
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I work with both PDF and DWF daily and both have their ups and downs. PDF is more common, DWF is more compact when it comes to AutoCAD. To me DWF is best for downstream design. If you want to measure, turn layers on and off, and such then the DWF is the way to go. PDF is a document format for basic viewing and printing. DWF is going to have some really cool things coming out in the long term that will make it far more intelligent than your basic PDF. But not everyone needs it, some people need just basic view and print. I have a little more in depth view on our website of which is better for certain things but it needs to be updated one of these days. http://www.cadzation.com/dwfvspdf.htm You may find out that you use both. I know many of our customers want to use both or will be required to use 1 or the other based on their clients requirements. Much like you're not going to use a Corvette to pickup that 4x8 sheet of plywood at Home Depot. Even if it does get you there faster and is more fun to drive. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "mattstu" wrote in message news:27400779.1082387489422.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hey all, > Ongoing debate like to share with you re: Digital copies of drawings from CAD, .plt, .dwf. and .pdf. . . . . . . . . . . . . . > We used to keep paper record copies of superceded revisions (a long long time ago!) we then chose, due mainly to space restrictions, plus all that bloody paper was becoming a fire hazard! > We then, (abt 2yrs ago) progressed to using .plt's, using MS-DOS, theory was anyone needing the record copy would just send the .plt to the printer - there you go. > However..... > With the current trend of project extranets appearing relentless, need to investigate other 'record' formats i.e. formats than can be viewed but not edited, but as mentioned, with various different extranets requiring differing formats, we need a universal origin file, if you like. > Currently looking at .dwfs as can create .pdfs from those. > Basically question is.......... > PDF vs DWF vs PLTs??? > > Some info would be appreciated. > Thanx in adv > > > > Matt
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

You can also create a DWF from a PDF using the Autodesk DWFWriter but you loose the main benefit of the DWF and that is the smaller filesize because in the DWF the shx text is treated as text and not graphics. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:40840e62_3@newsprd01... > As you have already figured out, PLT files are device dependent. PDF is > device independent and everyone already has the viewer; however, in a PDF > the geometry has already been reduced to lines, arcs, circles, etc.. What > happens if you get the new DWF Composer or some new tool someday that > provides snazzy capabilities? If you get one for example that calculates > square footage, you may want to go back and calculate square footage on that > job we did way back in 2004. If you have DWF files around, you can use your > new tools on your old files. Since you can generate a PDF from a DWF but not > the other way around, I would think you would want DWF. But I have been > saying that in this newsgroup and the Volo newsgroup for two years now. I am > biased. > > "mattstu" wrote in message > news:27400779.1082387489422.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Hey all, > > Ongoing debate like to share with you re: Digital copies of drawings from > CAD, .plt, .dwf. and .pdf. . . . . . . . . . . . . . > > We used to keep paper record copies of superceded revisions (a long long > time ago!) we then chose, due mainly to space restrictions, plus all that > bloody paper was becoming a fire hazard! > > We then, (abt 2yrs ago) progressed to using .plt's, using MS-DOS, theory > was anyone needing the record copy would just send the .plt to the printer - > there you go. > > However..... > > With the current trend of project extranets appearing relentless, need to > investigate other 'record' formats i.e. formats than can be viewed but not > edited, but as mentioned, with various different extranets requiring > differing formats, we need a universal origin file, if you like. > > Currently looking at .dwfs as can create .pdfs from those. > > Basically question is.......... > > PDF vs DWF vs PLTs??? > > > > Some info would be appreciated. > > Thanx in adv > > > > > > > > Matt > >
Message 5 of 5

cheers scott, this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services