ActiveX / Security settings

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
671 Views, 18 Replies

ActiveX / Security settings

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with NT, but it's worth a try since I think it's an Internet Explorer issue rather than being specific to NT. In the DWF viewer folder, edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line with "". Then add www.autodesk.com to your trusted sites within Internet Explorer. See my post dated 26/10 for some explanation of this and my rant at Autodesk - I'm not impressed that I've had to fix this myself when so many other people are experiencing the same problem I'd be very interested to hear whether this fixes your particular problem, can you please reply to this post with your results. thanks, Ross Smith Network Manager Robinson Construction "Aceralice" wrote in message news:230_f197d27.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb... I am using IE 5.5 and have just installed AEV 4.0 on a NT4 PC. I am getting security messages re ActiveX controls and don't know which setting to adjust to get AEV to work. AEV 3.1 didn't give me these messages, so I am confused. Any advice for me ? Thanks.
Message 3 of 19

That's just a comment line and only displays information to the person editing the file. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line > with ""
Message 4 of 19

Yes it is just a comment, but if you read Microsoft's articles on this, you will find that this is how they are getting around the problem of executing locally stored code since their recent security updates: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883866 and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx While the HTML specs say this is just a comment, Microsoft have obviously added some more non-standard functionality into IE to work around the security problems. It's a bit of a bodge, but it does work. Ross "Wm.J.Townsend" wrote in message news:41805257.77879D27@gte.net... That's just a comment line and only displays information to the person editing the file. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line > with "" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wm.J.Townsend · October 2004©
Message 5 of 19

Great. Something else to aid the dark side. I'll need to read up on (any) XP SP2 goodies to learn more, but wouldn't simply adding to exploitive pages circumvent this non-standard "security" device? Thanks for the update. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > While the HTML specs say this is just a comment, Microsoft have > obviously added some more non-standard functionality into IE to work > around the security problems. It's a bit of a bodge, but it does > work.
Message 6 of 19

Just tried it here on my NT Kip Powerprint workstation. Works just fine... Finally. Thank you for your research, I can get back to work now.
Message 7 of 19

Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps. Jason Bull Senior QA Autodesk Viewers Group "Ross Smith" wrote in message news:417fa7a6$1_1@newsprd01... Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with NT, but it's worth a try since I think it's an Internet Explorer issue rather than being specific to NT. In the DWF viewer folder, edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line with "". Then add www.autodesk.com to your trusted sites within Internet Explorer. See my post dated 26/10 for some explanation of this and my rant at Autodesk - I'm not impressed that I've had to fix this myself when so many other people are experiencing the same problem I'd be very interested to hear whether this fixes your particular problem, can you please reply to this post with your results. thanks, Ross Smith Network Manager Robinson Construction "Aceralice" wrote in message news:230_f197d27.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb... I am using IE 5.5 and have just installed AEV 4.0 on a NT4 PC. I am getting security messages re ActiveX controls and don't know which setting to adjust to get AEV to work. AEV 3.1 didn't give me these messages, so I am confused. Any advice for me ? Thanks.
Message 8 of 19

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought the original post was something like "Why doesn't Autodesk put a line in its own HTML files that says trust ActiveX Controls from Autodesk instead of a line that says trust generic ActiveX Controls?" So I think he was referring to HTML files on the Autodesk site - not his own HTML files. Maybe I am not recalling the original post correctly? "Jason Bull" wrote in message news:41afb61d_3@newsprd01... Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps.
Message 9 of 19

Can either of you tell me why I am getting the "iexplore.exe has encountered a problem" then crashes here - http://www.washington.edu/admin/ada/acc.htm ?

Thanks in advance.
Message 10 of 19

Sorry but it worked for me on Windows XP SP2. "psmith" wrote in message news:29252475.1102098036729.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Can either of you tell me why I am getting the "iexplore.exe has > encountered a problem" then crashes here - > http://www.washington.edu/admin/ada/acc.htm ? > > Thanks in advance.
Message 11 of 19

Scott - I keep getting emails from people who are trying to use the site like this one:

When I check the site with IE it prompted me to download the viewer, which I did, it installed fine and the first map displayed fine. After that every time I went to another building IE would crash as soon as the map loaded. Looks to me like the problem is with the Autodesk viewer, not with any BHOs or other Active X controls. Maybe their fix for SP2 doesn't really fix it.

Any suggestions?
Message 12 of 19

Sorry but I has able to go to any building without a crash, Allen Hall, the Music Hall, etc. "psmith" wrote in message news:22103378.1102099725119.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Scott - I keep getting emails from people who are trying to use the site > like this one: > > When I check the site with IE it prompted me to download the viewer, which > I did, it installed fine and the first map displayed fine. After that > every time I went to another building IE would crash as soon as the map > loaded. Looks to me like the problem is with the Autodesk viewer, not with > any BHOs or other Active X controls. Maybe their fix for SP2 doesn't > really fix it. > > Any suggestions?
Message 13 of 19

I'm seeing the crash with XP Pro SP1. Could you do me a favor and zip up a couple of the html and css pages with the DWF and send them to me? john dot schmer at autodesk dot com -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 14 of 19

Well, it appears I can't spell my last name. The email address is john dot schmier at autodesk dot com -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 15 of 19

You got it and thanks!
Message 16 of 19

S, Ack. I didn't actually have the start of the thread; must have scrolled off the server before I read it. Oh well. Good to see that you are as busy as ever, young man! :-) J. "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:41b0aa01$1_2@newsprd01... Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought the original post was something like "Why doesn't Autodesk put a line in its own HTML files that says trust ActiveX Controls from Autodesk instead of a line that says trust generic ActiveX Controls?" So I think he was referring to HTML files on the Autodesk site - not his own HTML files. Maybe I am not recalling the original post correctly? "Jason Bull" wrote in message news:41afb61d_3@newsprd01... Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps.
Message 17 of 19

Ok, a couple of corrections. Firstly, this fix does not just affect SP2 systems. We don't run SP2 here, we just have the Internet Zone secured to prevent viruses & ad-ware from installing on our company's computers. Secondly, I can confirm that I am talking about the standard Autodesk release of the DWF viewer, not home grown code. The code you have added to the viewer is a partical fix, and addresses the main issue created with SP2 - that of a more secure Local Computer zone. It does not help when your viewer is running on a computer that also has a secure Internet zone. The code you added means that your viewer executes the included pages as if they were running from the Internet zone. Since we have secured the Internet Zone to protect our computers from viruses, we still have issues running the software. If you modify your code as I suggested, your code will run as if it were being launched from the autodesk.com website. This is far more specific than just running your code from 'Internet', and allows us to add autodesk.com to the 'Trusted Sites' zone where permissions are already set to allow the program to run. I have manually made these corrections to your program myself, as have several other people on these boards and I can confirm that it does work as I have explained. The Microsoft articles on the 'Mark of the Web' feature describe this function in more detail. I really do need Autodesk to fix this so that I can get on with deploying the new version of the viewer across our company. Ross Smith MCP, MCSA Network Manager Robinson Construction "Jason Bull" wrote in message news:41afb61d_3@newsprd01... Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps. Jason Bull Senior QA Autodesk Viewers Group "Ross Smith" wrote in message news:417fa7a6$1_1@newsprd01... Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with NT, but it's worth a try since I think it's an Internet Explorer issue rather than being specific to NT. In the DWF viewer folder, edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line with "". Then add www.autodesk.com to your trusted sites within Internet Explorer. See my post dated 26/10 for some explanation of this and my rant at Autodesk - I'm not impressed that I've had to fix this myself when so many other people are experiencing the same problem I'd be very interested to hear whether this fixes your particular problem, can you please reply to this post with your results. thanks, Ross Smith Network Manager Robinson Construction "Aceralice" wrote in message news:230_f197d27.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb... I am using IE 5.5 and have just installed AEV 4.0 on a NT4 PC. I am getting security messages re ActiveX controls and don't know which setting to adjust to get AEV to work. AEV 3.1 didn't give me these messages, so I am confused. Any advice for me ? Thanks.
Message 18 of 19

For those of you keeping track, the problem with psmith is not SP2 related, it's related to the DWF being created. We are still investigating. -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 19 of 19

I have experienced the same issue as psmith. If I set the source path to a file on my local machine the file will load without issue. But if the dwf is called from a "http://l" location and there are many links involved (+10k links) then IE will crashes every time. I tried building the DWF using ACAD 2000i, 2004 with same results. The same file without any links will load without a problem. The problem is associated to the number of hyperlinks and http pathing.

I have designed my current project around this functionality and now find myself needing a paddle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report