Constructware Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Constructware Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Constructware topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submittal Packages

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
782 Views, 4 Replies

Submittal Packages

I'm curious to know how others are using submittal packages. Currently we are set up that we created a single package for each prime contractor to add their items to for review. Are others set up this way or are contractors creating new packages for each submission? I'd like to hear how you're working with this and why~

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeffmarsh
in reply to: Anonymous

That's perfect if the prime contractor is going to submit all their submittal items at the same time. In reality their subcontractors are going to submit their items to the prime contractor and then the prime contractor will forward those to get the items "off their desk".

For example, I have seen when the HVAC contractor would send in 1/2 of his submittals on day and then 3 weeks later send in the "stragglers". Guess what, the engineer on the project "Rejected" the first package, so the GC had to go through the whole process again.

I think the better way to set it up is to consider the following:
1) Who is reviewing the submittal items which is usually the Architect / Engineer / Consultant? What items do they need in a "Package" in order to determine if the items meet the specifications.
-- Lesson learned: Get the project team together before the first submittal is sent in to determine what "best practices" are going to be used on the project. Don't expect everyone will do it the same way because they won't.
2) Another idea is to utilize a "Communication Specification" to tell everyone on the project how they are expected to do things such as submittals.
3) Packages based on the "Bid Package".
4) Packages based on the CSI Code such as:
034100 - Precast Structural
034500 - Precast Architectural Concrete
034700 - Site-Cast Concrete
etc.

I also attached a submittal overview that one of the Autodesk Constructware Consultants put together to might help you understand submittals and ideas for structuring it for your project.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Marsh
Jeff Marsh
Technical Product Manager, Construction Business Line
AEC Solutions Group

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Are there more of these articles posted somewhere??? Thanks for the article, it really breaks down the process and puts into "real" scenarios that make sense. I've come across a few other articles from time to time but had to search through the sites to find them. You are such a great help (and I'm so happy you read these boards!!!).
Message 4 of 5
jeffmarsh

Nothing yet. The goal is to start posting this information on the "Knowledge Base" area. The support group is responsible for working on what is going to be housed there. I'll ping the manager and see if there is any update.
Jeff Marsh
Technical Product Manager, Construction Business Line
AEC Solutions Group

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Jeff -
Do you have any more of these great papers on Budgets in Constructware?? The submittals paper was very helpful! I can't wait for the Knowledge Base release!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report