Constructware Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Constructware Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Constructware topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Submittal Packages

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
boilerron
728 Views, 8 Replies

Importing Submittal Packages

We have the ability to import submittal items right now in Constructware.

But we do not have the ability to import submittal packages.

Even if we create the submittal packages ahead of time, we cannot import the submittals into an existing submittal package.

Oddly enough the XML template from constructware has this field but does not import any data put in that field.

This means that when we import 3000-5000 submittal items we still must touch every single one of them to put them into a manually created submittal package?!?!

Any thoughts? Where is this on the radar screen?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mdebinder
in reply to: boilerron

This should work properly if you first create the Submittal Packages. You must be sure to enter both the correct Submittal Package No. and Rev. No. in order for the system to find the correct package.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I have an issue with importing submittals with revisions. I've been through this with tech support, with unfortunately not a satisfactory response (very unusual for them). When importing submittals with revisions, it does not allow to check the revision number for duplicates - only based on the item number. no matter what option is chosen, i can't get it to check on the revision number - and neither could they. my "best" suggestion was "change the numbers on the excel sheet then import, then go into constructware and change the numbers back"!! I found this to be completely ridiculous considering we're having enough trouble trying to get our users to do this one step. why use the module at all if it's going to take that much more time to do something??
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Could you help us understand why you are importing submittal revisions?

The way I understand how the import functionality is designed is it allows a user to upload the submittal items in bulk into CW at the very beginning of the submittal process. All the revisions would then be handled within CW and not in an Excel spreadsheet.

Example, I work through the specs and build / import my item list in the excel template. I then handle any revisions using the revise feature in CW. By continuing to utilize the spreadsheet to handle revisions/updates/etc, no one on the project team can see the revisions until you upload the information into CW. I know I'm not disciplined enough to upload the spreadsheet everytime I make a change vs. handling the revisions/changes in CW so everyone can see the changes in realtime.

I know its tough moving away from Excel as I used to manage all my projects with these huge elaborate excel spreadsheets. The problem is no one else had access to the most up-to-date version as it was "locked" away on my computer. By utilizing CW, everyone on the project team (including Architects, Subcontractors, CM's, GC's, Owner's, etc.) has visibility to see what the latest status is of the submittals or real-time collaboration.

I would love to hear any thoughts you have. Many thanks. Jeff Marsh
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Could you help us understand why you are importing submittal revisions?

The way I understand how the import functionality is designed is it allows a user to upload the submittal items in bulk into CW at the very beginning of the submittal process. All the revisions would then be handled within CW and not in an Excel spreadsheet.

Example, I work through the specs and build / import my item list in the excel template. I then handle any revisions using the revise feature in CW. By continuing to utilize the spreadsheet to handle revisions/updates/etc, no one on the project team can see the revisions until you upload the information into CW. I know I'm not disciplined enough to upload the spreadsheet everytime I make a change vs. handling the revisions/changes in CW so everyone can see the changes in realtime.

I know its tough moving away from Excel as I used to manage all my projects with these huge elaborate excel spreadsheets. The problem is no one else had access to the most up-to-date version as it was "locked" away on my computer. By utilizing CW, everyone on the project team (including Architects, Subcontractors, CM's, GC's, Owner's, etc.) has visibility to see what the latest status is of the submittals or real-time collaboration.

I would love to hear any thoughts you have. Many thanks. Jeff Marsh
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

We haven't made the move into working with submittals in Constructware yet (too little time, too many questions) but we have our submittal log that we can convert to match with Constructware. What I was trying to do was move the whole thing into the system to try to at least get a log in. Our contractors aren't even onboard yet.

My main question is - why is it an option if you can't use it?? The other check boxes are pointless on the import log.

I want to make sure that the CAs have options to upload their information, we're working on it but it's a slow, laborous project.
Message 7 of 9
boilerron

mdebinder:

The problem with your answer is that we need to be able to create the "packages" on the upload of the submittals.

Or have a "submittal packages" upload that creates the submittals.

With the way we use submittal packages (large number = number of spec sections) creating the packages is still a huge manual chore....

BoilerROn
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I am sorry but I don't have an answer as to why it is working that way. I would have hoped that the support person you worked with turned your feedback into a "suggestion" that goes to our product development team.

I'll create a Constructware feedback that documents your request.

Best,

Jeff Marsh
Message 9 of 9
SSeeger

It is true that you cannot import the Submittal packages, but we actively use the Submittal module and have no problems uploading hundreds of submittal items directly into the previously created Submittal packages.
The import is very picky about reading your data, but once you understand what has to be included you should not have any problems.
I can assist you if you like?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report