Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

normal map problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
257 Views, 5 Replies

normal map problem

I posted this in the maya forum but thought I would get more help here.

So here is may problem, I did a normal map in mudbox 2009 and in maya there are seams at some UV intersections. The normal map is seamless and was edited in photoshop to be sure, it was then renormalise withe the Nvidia plugIn.

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So you baked the normal map in Mudbox 2009 using the Maya preset?

Then without any edits display the map inside Maya and you see a seam?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Yes that's it. But in another scene I don't understand why, there is no seam. Could it be my lighting that creates that problem?

thanks

Message 4 of 6
MasonDoran

Its just the reality of normal maps. In your case you chose a bad spot for the seam. The work around is to choose the default blue and paint over the seams.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

There is an old trick where you can pait over just the green and red channels of your normal map in photoshop to get rid of any seams. 99 times out of 100 it works perfectly for problem map seams.

Wayne...
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your help. Wayne, I tried the photoshop tip and it didn't work but I changed my lights placements and there is no apparent seam now. So can someone explain me why this happened and how to avoid it?

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report