Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

height map for a terrain?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
c-boogie
1981 Views, 3 Replies

height map for a terrain?

Hi - I'm somewhat new to Mudbox so I appologize is this is a simple question. I'm trying to use Mudbox as a way of "sculpting" a landscape. Nothing out of control, but some basic shape generations - slopes, terraces, driveways, etc. I would like to start my model with a height map I built for an earlier project. Is there a way to create a plane in mudbox and then using a greyscale heightmap, set the low and high elevations (for example black is 0' and white is maybe 100')? I've googled around and found that you can add a height map to add shape and definition, but haven't found a way to make it drive the entire shape. Then to be able to determine the high and low elevations is a whole different story - i can't find much on that at all.

Any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jabberwockxeno
in reply to: c-boogie

Wondering this also.

Going to Sculpt > Sculpt using maps KINDA works...

Message 3 of 4

In what way Kinda? That's what that feature does. Displaces the mesh based on a texture mapped to the existing Uvs. You need enough resolution in the plane. You can set the multiplier in the Advanced rollout to make it more or less intense or just set the strength of the new layer it makes after.
Message 4 of 4

Kinda in the sense that it seems the way mudbox reads the contrast of the values of neighboring pixels and how it changes the mesh based on that just seems to be very different compared to how many other pograms I have been using does it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report