Area :: Header
Interested in making Indie games?

Register for a Meet the Experts webinar with Digital-Tutors today!
Discussion Groups

Community Help

stevey2shoes

another projection problem

115 Views, 13 Replies
04-06-2012 08:50 AM
Hi
I'm still very new to this stuff.
I've modelled a head in 3ds MAX, struggled for days to UV map it,
Its importing into mudbox saying there are t shapes, and non manifold and an interior valance problems, none of which I completely understand, but thought may have been caused by the symmetry modifier in MAX, and I htought i solved once.
I only want to use mudbox to paint a texture map, nothing else.
Mudbox ISN'T complaining about UV tiles, but whenever I try to paint/project a stencil over the mesh, the stencil doesn't show up clearly, its as if I've used a dirty brush.
any ideas what's going on and or how to solve this please.
Steve

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
Brock_Lafond

Re: another projection problem

04-06-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
There definitely appears to be some symmetry issues, and probably some UV issues as well. On your Symmetry modifier check to make sure that your weld threshold isn't too high, but just high enough.

In Max throw a STL Check modifier on top of the stack. It will point out problems.

Can you upload the scene or obj of the model? If not, can you give us a screen-grab of the wireframe?
Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Please use plain text.
stevey2shoes

04-06-2012 11:18 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Ive put STL check on, I didnt see any change (just checking what it does) heres a wire frame.
The colours seem to come out REALLY dark when I use mudbox aswell, any ideas why is it a gamma problem?
steve

Please use plain text.
stevey2shoes

04-06-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
sorry I have since changed this, The mudbox screen cap you saw there was made by uv mapping one side of the face and then re using symmetry to uv map the other side, that's why its showing faint lines along down the middle.
I've since uv mapped the head as one piece and the ears as 2 separate pieces (3 in total).
Its not showing the lines now but still insists on NOT projecting the image im using, instead, it looks like I've been painted with chocolate by a toothbrush.
Steve

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
RobinBall6995

04-06-2012 02:17 PM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Firstly, make sure you're using the projection brush and that the paint colour is white. It's probably the case that your projection brush is set to a brown colour. The stencil colour is multiplied by the brush colour.

Secondly, you didn't show the UV layout in Max there. Just the geometry. If you've just mapped it from the side you'll get a lot of stretching. You'll need to unfold it better than that to get a good result. Look into the Pelt and Peel UVunwrap tools.
Please use plain text.
stevey2shoes

04-06-2012 03:18 PM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Sorry, now I've looked into STL check its only highlighting the open edges, like the eyes and the neck.
Ive tried to attach a uv screen shot if this helps.
steve

Please use plain text.
stevey2shoes

04-07-2012 02:49 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Sorry
I realised I had the image as a stamp and a stencil, so it was trying to do both, once I switched the stencil off, it looked better.
Steve
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
RobinBall6995

04-07-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Although it could do with being relaxed, the UVs for the face look ok. A bit lopsided and uneven, but not an overlapping mess like it might have been.

There's a lot of messy unwelded edges around the back though and overlapping UVs. You get those from cylindrical mapping. You want to get rid of those as the same bit of texture will end up being visible on both polys.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mrAFK

04-07-2012 06:39 AM in reply to: RobinBall6995
totally right
3D & Animation Teacher
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MSI X79A-GD65, i7, 32gb RAM, Quadro 2000D, SSD-disks.
http://www.linkedin...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mrAFK

04-07-2012 06:41 AM in reply to: stevey2shoes
Sorry about that above...posted reply at wrong place.

I'm not a max user but generally try cutting it up a bit more but where it won't be as visable; like behind the ears to the back of the head, and where the hair begins to reside on the sides of the forehead to the back of the head, and cut it up on the sides of the throat up to where the jaw begins. Then relax it and you'll have a great UV-map.
3D & Animation Teacher
MSI X79A-GD65, i7, 32gb RAM, Quadro 2000D, SSD-disks.
http://www.linkedin...
Please use plain text.