Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texture consistancy from Mudbox to 3dsMax

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
643 Views, 3 Replies

Texture consistancy from Mudbox to 3dsMax

So I have a quick question. I've begun introducing mudbox into my workflow and for this particular model I using it simply as a texturing tool as the model is too simple to need sculpting. Anyway, when I transfer the textures I've painted into 3ds Max, the display of color is not consistent. Is there some way to set up mudbox lighting so that it reflects what it will look like in 3ds Max? Here are a couple of pics:

Mudbox texture: Looks Good (color how I want in the end result)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7265464018_c334806626_b.jpg

3ds Max Texture: Looks Bad (appears to more accurate to actual color of the texture image. Looks like there are some funky texture seams too.)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8024/7265464128_cee91ed64d_b.jpg

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

have you turned on the linear workflow in max..?
are those seams visible in the render or only in the viewport..?
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 4
RobinBall6995

Yeah I suspect it's gamma. I've had that as well. The textures come in with gamma set to 1 and it should be 2.2 I think. I don't really know too much about it, I never have anything to do with gamma when working on games. But 2.2 seems to be the same.

And I don't think that's a seam as such, I think it's the default lighting second light which gives a really harsh rim light effect. Change the viewport to 1 light instead of 2 and it should go away.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

First, I had it on the default 2 light setting. I changed it 1 and it fixed the weird dark bands. It also properly displayed my normals, as another model I had been working on was actually inside out, but didn't display that way.

Second, it is definitely the gamma. I have been doing some experiments, and believe I had set up the gamma proper as I was reading in the 3ds Max help. By default the input and output gamma was set to 2.2.

According to what I read, I was supposed to set the input gamma to whatever the texture files' gamma was. I have confirmed that the images I have painted in mudbox are saved with a gamma of 1, so I set the input gamma to 1. Then I am to set the output gamma to whatever the working/screen gamma that I want to use is, so I left that at 2.2. Unfortunately, though, the textures are still brighter than in mudbox. I have tried all kinds of numbers but still can't gain consistency. If I turn off gamma correction in the 3ds Max settings, then the color display is identical. This would be fine if all I was working with was Mudbox and 3ds Max, but it's not.

(I have also experimented with cryengine3 a bit, and believe that the engine also probably runs on 2.2 gamma settings, as the textures are a bit bright and pinkish.)

Also I'm not sure how to adjust everything to work with gimp. I couldn't find any gamma settings, and the color seems to be slightly on the orange side.

I tried working with the tone mapper filter in mudbox, as I couldn't find any gamma settings in there either, which seems counter productive. It doesn't seem to effect the color wheel, however, and the gamma seems to dynamically change depending on how close or far away from the model I am.

Any ideas on how to set up a consistent workflow? Are there settings somewhere in mudbox I am missing? I really need to be able to adapt to whatever environment I may end up working in.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report