Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting an object paints another in a random place

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1423 Views, 5 Replies

Painting an object paints another in a random place

Hey, ive come across a weird thing thats going on whenever i paint part of my object.

as shown in the pictures, if i paint one part of an object, 'artefacts' appear on another. this might be to do with UV mapping or something, so i've tried re-uv'ing, but to no avail. 

Also, when i looked at these pictures it seems that the edges of the UV's can also be seen in the scene (maybe because i used mudbox's UV system?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has got me stumped!

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobinBall6995
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like you have multiple objects with the same material on. That works ok, but only if none of them overlap in UV space. You'll need to make sure the UVs are all spread out in your 3d app.

Or you can assign a different material to each object.
Message 3 of 6

Or you used the same (default) material on both, so painting on one will paint on the other - it's the same material.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

So you're saying that my objects should be assigned separate materials if I want to paint them individually? Is that due to the materials themselves or the UV's?
To avoid this in the future should I make sure my objects are pre-uv'ed in maya (for instance) and don't overlap?
And finally, can I use mudbox's auto UV as long as I assign separate materials to each object? Or is it better practice to make the UV's myself?
Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
Steve_Curley

MB assigns the same material to both models, so yes - you need to create and assign new materials to them. Might be better to do this before starting to paint. The UVs are not the cause of the problem, the material is. If you're importing models then it's probably a good idea to create the basic UVs before exporting from Maya (or whichever 3D app you're using), though MB does do a pretty good job of it. Learning how to do it manually is a good idea though 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 6

If you lay out the UVs in Maya so that all the objects are laid out on the same sheet with nothing from any object overlapping, then you can use one material for everything, if you prefer. That's how we'd normally do it for a game object where fewer materials are better for performance reasons.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report