Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox Ambient Occlusion / Cavity map problem

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Mishka2468
840 Views, 0 Replies

Mudbox Ambient Occlusion / Cavity map problem

Hey,

I have been following a tutorial on creating a landscape in Mudbox for later use inside UDK or CryEngine. The current step is to create Ambient Occlusion and Cavity maps. This is where I’m running into problems and was hoping someone would be able to help me out.

The Ambient Occlusion I am getting from Mudbox is correct but the Cavity map is not being generated correctly. When I decrease the filter in the Ambient Occlusion output to create the Cavity map it creates large chunks of black areas rather than only on actual cavities. I can remove these chunks by increasing the filter value but this pretty much creates a regular Ambient Occlusion map instead of a cavity map.

This is what my current Cavity Map looks like:

This is the result when I import the texture as a paint layer with blending mode set to multiply:
Problem displayed inside Mudbox

This is the largest black area in the north-west section of the cavity map. Obviously the result is not desirable.
It's not visible in this image but there is no stretching or anything like that happening in the mesh.
The model is 2048 by 2048 so 4,194,304 polys if that makes any difference.

I'm using Mudbox 2014 on Windows 8.1.
I have a 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000 on board.

Just ask if I have left out any relevant information.

Thanks,
Mishka1

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report