Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to maintain cube?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
242 Views, 4 Replies

How to maintain cube?

I would like to be able to design tiles with 3D relief in Mudbox. But, as I add mesh detail the form changes from a cube, which I can scale and use as the basis for the tile, to a spherical mesh.

How do I maintian a basic cube shape while still adding mesh detail?

Or, an even better question.. how would you go about tackling creating a tile with a surface relief. I want to use this to experiment with 3D printing.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you talking about Subdivide Selection "Smooth Positions"
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Are you talking about Subdivide Selection "Smooth Positions"

I have absolutely NO idea WHAT I am talking about in 3D modeling speak. 🙂

I'm newer than a newbie and am just turning my attention to Mudbox in a serious way.

I'm interested in experimenting with designing prototypes of decorative ceramic tiles using a 3D modeling package. Below is a very simple sample created in CB Model Pro that shows the general idea. It was created using several simple moves.

1) Select Cube Mesh
2) Scale to create flat tile shape
3) Pull up the decorative features

The problem is that CB Model Pro is in early beta and doesn't provide the texturing and fine detail of Mudbox. But, in mudbox I don't know how to create enough mesh for that detail without distorting the flat background tile.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/TMeeks/Mudbox3D/CeramicTile.jpg
Message 4 of 5
Testure

Click the little box next to "subdivide" in the mesh menu, then uncheck "smooth positions". That will simply tesselate your mesh instead of average the smoothed geometry out.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Click the little box next to "subdivide" in the mesh menu, then uncheck "smooth positions". That will simply tesselate your mesh instead of average the smoothed geometry out.

Oh... THAT little box! :eek: 😄

I told you I was newer than a newbie!!! Thanks! That's great.

I'd have been 103 before I found that one without your help. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report