Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I paint scenario paths on Mudbox?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Jogabba
513 Views, 1 Reply

How do I paint scenario paths on Mudbox?

Hi,

I've modelled a video game scenario and I'm trying to paint it on mudbox. I've just started using this program and I've got no clue about a lot of stuff, so I'd like to know if there's some way to paint paths with defined edges. 

What I want to achieve is something like this:

Can you see those paths? They look like they've been painted using a stamp, but the edges only show themselves when they contact grass. 

Do you have any idea of how to get something similar to this? (If I haven't explained myself well, please let me know)

Thanks for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
RobinBall6995
in reply to: Jogabba

Those won't be done in Mudbox at all. The grass will be using a tiling texture and the path will be a strip of geometry with a transparent cutout texture on that tiles in one direction. A decal in other words. Or it could just be cut into the tiling grass surface if the edges are flat colour. It'll be made in a 3d app like Maya or Max.

You could sort of do this in Mudbox by using a huge texture over the whole environment and having a stamp that tiles in one direction and setting it to follow the stroke (wiggly arrow icon), but it's difficult to get the spacing exactly right, and it won't deform around corners.

And the downside of this is you'll be very limited in resolution as the entire piece of geometry will have to fit into the 0-1 UV space. that's not very efficient for games.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report