Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highpoly mesh invisible(mudbox 2015)

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
cgappreciator
4136 Views, 18 Replies

Highpoly mesh invisible(mudbox 2015)

This bug is very frustrating. Everytime I have a mesh thats at lv 6 or lv 7 it might disappear and reappear randomly on each sculpting session. The only way I can get it to show up is to go to a lower subdvision.

Overall this version of mudbox is very unstable compare to 2014. Just don't get why it is.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mrdeltoid
in reply to: cgappreciator

not likely to be related but I'm getting every mesh invisible on mudbox 2011 with intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. The mesh is there but it's invisible, activating wireframes works and also if I assign a CGfx material and crank up specular with low gloss the mesh is shaded well enough to sculpt. No shadows or paint layers but I was able to quickly subdivide the legacy humanBody to 34 million and the performance was still good..sculpting is smooth and navigating is alright with some stutters...too bad. What card are you using by the way? Have you tried deleting all UVs or assigning different materials? Also when it disappears does wireframe mode work?

Message 3 of 19
cgappreciator
in reply to: mrdeltoid

nvidia GTX 660 ti. wireframe mode doesn't work. but i'll try deleting the uvs. Thanks
Message 4 of 19
Ianucci

I have experienced this too. I just close mud start it again and open the file, if the mesh still doesnt show just repeat till it does. Very annoying.

Message 5 of 19
MrWalrus

I have recently started using Mudbox 2015 and I too am experiencing this exact problem. I've been looking for a solution and this is the first time I've found anyone post anything about this bug. Thank you and I hope it's fixed soon.
Message 6 of 19
Sutrebla01
in reply to: MrWalrus

I am also seeing this from time to time, it also will happen on object imports though im not 100% sure thats related.

Message 7 of 19

I have also experienced this when importing a mesh back into mudbox 2015 from 3ds max 2015.  The sculpt box shows the model is there but I can not find it.  I also tried looking for the grid and it is not there either.  The uvs however are there when I turn to the uv tab.  Turning wireframe on and off made no difference.

Message 8 of 19

Not sure what could be causing this, but please use the Mudbox reporting system to report your issues (Help->Report a Problem). If this is a bug, it needs to get fixed. Reporting it will help ensure it does.

Thanks!

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 9 of 19

same problem, but the mesh remains invisible and i'have to delete highest level.

any solution?

Message 10 of 19
rumiaremos

So I found the solution. At least in my case.

I went through the same and discovered it's a RAM problem...
Sometimes the ram modules move and get half-disconnected, giving graphic card and file saving problems.

I opened my computer, took them out and put them again and now I'm able to see the higher levels. Everything fine again.

Try opening a mud project that you saved when you didn't have this problem. In my case I saved it yesterday, when didn't have this problem. Fixed the RAM issue today and now I can see it.

If you save a mud project with the ram issue, you can still recover it. But you'll find data loss and weird problems.

Message 11 of 19
lupoalberto
in reply to: rumiaremos

tx!

tonight i'll try it.

Message 12 of 19
sub-pixel

I also have this major problem and it's nothing to do with my RAM modules, unfortunatelly...

Closing and reopening Mudbox doesn't fix anything...

So, I sculpted a model with 6 subD levels...

All went well and saved it...

Next day, when reopened the file, i had two issues:

1. the model was invinsible when stepping up to the two highest levels, 5 and 6.

2. or the model was visble when stepping up to the two highest levels, 5 and 6, but also was scaling up two times, every time i step up a level.

Saving as OBJ the highest (invinsible) level, also saves it ...invinsible, but all the polygon data exist there somewhere...

These two issues were happening on two different saved versions of the model, that both had the same subD levels though...

Same thing happening on both Mudbox 2015 and 2016...

Win 8.1, 64GB ram, GTX970...

If this is not a SHOW STOPPER BUG, then i don't know what is...

Greg

Message 13 of 19

And a version 2016 od mudbox. They STILL didnt fix it. I am really considering changing to zBrush. If I have to lose nerves of loading saved file 15 time until it is visible, or acquiring a mage or prophet to cast spell on smoothing tool to get it work. I think the better learn zbrush , might be tough learning new stuff, but I still believe they arent going to fix it in next edition either.

Message 14 of 19
carloslogg

im about to change to Zbrush thanks to this problem..  i have an important project im working in and my main model just turned itself invisible..  i try to activate and deactivate the visibility of the mesh.  but it doesnt work..   what a stupid problem.. and no, it's not about the Ram.  

Tags (3)
Message 15 of 19

I have never seen or heard a good answer to this question. It is very
inconsistent.
Message 16 of 19

I have never seen or heard a good answer to this question. It is very
inconsistent.
Message 17 of 19

Well, been a while since this post. I have switched to zBrush year ago, learned it in 2 months, after 3 got a job. Thats the moral of the whole story

Message 18 of 19

Well, been a while since this post. I have switched to zBrush year ago, learned it in 2 months, after 3 got a job. Thats the moral of the whole story

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 19
kohut.a.m

1. Before exporting from max - select all objects you want to export to Mudbox - center Pivot to center of every object (you can undo this after export).

2. Export to FBX

3. Import to Mudbox, select "invisible" objects in Object list (objects you just imported will be in the end of the list) - (they turn yellow)

4. Right click on selected objects - Flip Mesh - From Y-up to Z-up. And then flip back From Z-up to Y-up.

Thats it! All invisible objects is visible now and you can work with them/

Works for me in 3ds Max 2016 to Mudbox2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report