Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a real hard time with this one :(

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
403 Views, 6 Replies

Having a real hard time with this one :(

I'm basically trying to make something like this:

Example

Now the problem is you can't just forcefully cut them jagged ends into the geometry and making them ends causes un-even topology.

Could somebody please advise me on a good way to go about this?  I've been trying for hours now but nothing seems to work.

I've considered making separate pieces for the jagged areas but once you hit any sort of angle the geometry is harder to keep even.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobinBall6995
in reply to: Anonymous

What are you making the base meshes in? If I was to make them in Max, I'd just make sure that I made sure the geometry was fairly even quads and be really careful around the cuts to stop them deforming too much when subdivided.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Yes I'm doing it in 3DS Max but it just seems kinda blandtopology.jpg

As you can see it looks far too clean, there need to be slight angles in there but angles cause messy topology...

Message 4 of 7
RobinBall6995

I probably wouldn't have started with that much geometry. Subdivide with Smoothing turned off a couple of times and you'll get that kind of result from a simpler starting mesh.

To be honest, zbrush is kind of better for this sort of thing if you have access to it. You could sketch it out and use Dynamesh.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: RobinBall6995

I do have access to it i just find the interface to be needlessly complex.. I'll give it a shot i guess..
Message 6 of 7
RobinBall6995

I agree. 🙂 The mesh creation tools are very useful though. There's not really anything like that in Mudbox.
Message 7 of 7

You could start with just a regular rectangular box subdivided, and start pulling on the edges with the Grab tool using a sharp falloff. Then just run Retopologize.
https://www.artstation.com/kelvintam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report