Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 21 of 41 (163 Views)

Re: spam messages

12-03-2013 06:06 AM in reply to: Nik-D
Like I wrote, give usable a break with these pointless solutions: this is not the first thread to rehash useless solutions that these autodesk folks already have noted are counter to their intended open-environment intent for these forums.

They, Autodesk, need to find the solution: we the users need to keep our disappointments loud and frequent. And repeat often.
They don't need lame solutions barked at them.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Mentor
steven-g
Message 22 of 41 (161 Views)

12-03-2013 06:22 AM in reply to: pendean

One way to politely, keep these issues in the public eye, is by commenting on useless solutions, another would be shout and swear, so I'll do my best and keep it light hearted and polite, but as you say I won't keep quiet about it.

Have you noticed Autodesk are trying very hard to keep negative comments out of the public eye, they move any comments about spam to this forum, and any new posts are then not reflected in the 'latest posts' window on the landing page. Maybe if users could see new posts as they were posted we would have more people shouting in the chorus.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
Community Manager
camilo.lemos
Message 23 of 41 (153 Views)

12-03-2013 06:54 AM in reply to: steven-g

Hi Steven, Dean and all involved in this thread.

Let me start off by saying that the spam issue bothers us as much as it bothers all of you. Trust me, it's not our idea of fun to be banning spammers and deleting posts on a daily basis:smileyhappy:

I know how passionate you are about our Community Forums and I understand your frustration - I really do - when you see it not working the way you expect it to, especially if this comes with a flood of unwanted messages.

At the moment what I can tell you is that we are working daily to resolve the issues you have helped us identify on our new community forums and the spam situation is definitely at the top of our list. You may not have noticed a lot of these fixed being applied yet but I can assure you we are working on a number of them and we expect to deliver good results to you soon. With AU starting today, we've had to divide our attention between the community part of the forums and the community side of the event.

I unfortunately cannot disclose what steps we are taking to stop the spam as it would arm the spammers with information which we don't want them to know - for obvious reasons. But please, rest assured that we are reading all feedback on this forum and taking all your comments very seriously.

We thank you for your patience while we work to make the forums an even better place for all of us to exchange our ideas and comments.

Thank you,

Camilo Lemos
*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 24 of 41 (145 Views)

12-03-2013 07:26 AM in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:
Like I wrote, give usable a break with these pointless solutions: this is not the first thread to rehash useless solutions that these autodesk folks already have noted are counter to their intended open-environment intent for these forums.

They, Autodesk, need to find the solution: we the users need to keep our disappointments loud and frequent. And repeat often.
They don't need lame solutions barked at them.

I don't understand your distain for suggestions.   Many of the ideas are not "lame", they're tried and tested methods currently in use by other forums.  IMO, you're giving too much credit to whoever is "designing" the spam/flood control.  Whether insufficiently motivated, or just unqualified for the task, clearly they have not yet offered any meaningful solution.  Certainly a few less dismissive comments, and a little more attention to suggestions, isn't going to make the spam problem any worse.

I readily concede that it's difficult, if not impossible, to prevent all spam all the time, but it is not at all difficult to prevent the type of high volume flooding that occurs in these forums on a daily basis, and doing so doesn't affect legitimate users in any manner.

Valued Mentor
steven-g
Message 25 of 41 (138 Views)

12-03-2013 08:07 AM in reply to: camilo.lemos

camilo.lemos wrote:

I unfortunately cannot disclose what steps we are taking to stop the spam as it would arm the spammers with information which we don't want them to know - for obvious reasons. But please, rest assured that we are reading all feedback on this forum and taking all your comments very seriously.

We thank you for your patience while we work to make the forums an even better place for all of us to exchange our ideas and comments.

Thank you,

I think it has gone beyond patience, maybe you could explain what has been done in the last 7 months, the spammers obviously worked their way around that without much trouble, or didn't they need to try. Freedom of access is fine and it would be a shame to put any form of restriction on the thousands of new users that need to make a couple of hundred posts after first signing up to the forums. Indeed why even bother new users with the registration process at all

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 26 of 41 (134 Views)

12-03-2013 08:36 AM in reply to: steven-g

Threads about spam and the board have nothing to do with Civil3D.  Having to wade through pages of discussion on spam is nearly as bad as the spam itself.  Lets keep the technical boards for the technical discussions about the actual product.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 27 of 41 (132 Views)

12-03-2013 08:40 AM in reply to: steven-g
Sometimes a couple of days go by with no spam. Then it starts up again just as bad as ever. This suggests to me that maybe something was done to stop them getting in, and it held for a couple of days until they figured it out.
Or possibly they just took a couple of days off, or I just happened to randomly miss the spam. Who knows?

I'll add my voice to the chorus: we need effective prevention.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 28 of 41 (131 Views)

12-03-2013 08:50 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I'm not certain its based on volume of posts.  The Inventor board, for example, is very active but sees virtually none of the spam.  It does help bolster my opinion on the reasons for the attacks being to PO and drive away posters in a feeble attempt to "punish" AutoDesk and the experienced posters for some perceived slight.  There does seem to be much more harsh feelings on the Civil3D board than elsewhere, and the spam counts roughly follow that pattern.

Mods, is it possible to post relative counts of spam removed by board for comparison purposes?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 29 of 41 (126 Views)

12-03-2013 09:02 AM in reply to: troma

troma wrote:
Sometimes a couple of days go by with no spam. Then it starts up again just as bad as ever. This suggests to me that maybe something was done to stop them getting in, and it held for a couple of days until they figured it out.
Or possibly they just took a couple of days off, or I just happened to randomly miss the spam. Who knows?

I'll add my voice to the chorus: we need effective prevention.

I'm pretty sure you just missed them.  I'm very confident that there have been fewer than 10 days in the last 6 months that I haven't reported multiple users posting dubai / esc0rt spam, and probably half of those were days were I didn't access the forums at all.  The spammers aren't high-tech or even clever, anyone can do what they're doing.  When a word or number sequence gets blocked, they just alter the spelling, and/or use unicode characters.  

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 30 of 41 (125 Views)

12-03-2013 09:04 AM in reply to: nestly2
"..I don't understand your distain for suggestions..."
It's not your job to offer suggestions: if you want it to be, grab a jobs application at Autodesk and make it your job :smileyhappy:

Be a customer, act like a customer (on this site, we are all customers): complain often and loudly, and repeat every chance you get. I do it, you're doing it, everyone should do it. Just skip the "I know best" approach.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community