Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 51 of 64 (823 Views)

Re: What's up with the Orange Name Labels

03-22-2012 07:11 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Autodesk staff ability to tag an item as a solution is the best limit to add IMHO

Brian, your group does not get involved in AutoCAD Exchange linking to posts here, correct? Or do you, and how does it work?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 52 of 64 (816 Views)

03-22-2012 12:08 PM in reply to: pendean

There definitely needs to be a better way to mark posts as solutions.  Too many go unmarked or incorrectly marked.  That'll screw up the whole system calculation.  Maybe power users should get a button to recommend as solution?  If that could be accomplished without abuse as well, btw. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 53 of 64 (807 Views)

03-22-2012 01:04 PM in reply to: TravisNave

The problem is, or could be, the solution needs to be reviewed for accuracy: unless it's clear the OP was happy with the fix and acknowledges if was the cure for them, I would rather it went untagged then get tagged by others who may wish it to be the answer.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 54 of 64 (802 Views)

03-22-2012 01:20 PM in reply to: pendean

Do this either thru several prticipants chosen (and willing) to take the task from the Forum or by Autodesk Employees but it would enhance Exchange over time with Solutions authored.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 55 of 64 (819 Views)

03-22-2012 01:33 PM in reply to: pendean

I think the Accepted Solutions may end up a jumbled mess without knowledgeable people supervising the process.

1. Many solutions are very unclear and vague, as the poster assumed the OP knew a thing or two, and explained things in a way that are over the heads of many. A minor issue, I guess.

2. Some of these Solutions may be flat out wrong now, such as ancient work-arounds and other posts for old versions of the programs. Few posts contain actual information regarding the software version. Maybe it should be a mandatory thing prior to posting, that a user much choose from a list of programs and version he is using.

3. Work-Arounds: I would typically not mark a work-around as a solution. I agree that it should be made easier to find (provided that it works), but in most cases, I don't see it as a true solution and I don't want to indicate that it is. I want it known that it is still a problem.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 56 of 64 (811 Views)

03-22-2012 04:04 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

One person's solution is another's work-around.  Some would consider the program not doing what they want a bug, whereas others may just consider it the way things are.  Some things are problems but simply not solvable at the user or CAD admin level so the only advice can be that work-around.

For example, somebody may ask how they can adjust the end-points of a dashed line in AutoCAD.  After some back and forth, it becomes clear they are asking how to adjust each segment to be a specific length.  We know that doesn't happen in AutoCAD, so somebody marks a post indicating "This isn't a feature of AutoCAD" as the solution.  But is it?  Or is it a bug?  A work-around?  A valid solution?  Who decides?

Not sure if its a feature of Lithium, but the way around this would be votes towards a solution post weighted by contributor ranking  (say, "AutoDesk employee" or OP selection as solution counts as 10, down through "Newb" selection ranking as 1) with a threshold needed for a post to be considered "Solution".  But that still requires voting/marking solved/some other input, as well as a valid ranking system.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 57 of 64 (806 Views)

03-23-2012 04:50 AM in reply to: pendean

I had started a post about this when the Accept as Solution was added to the site. At first I was very hard nosed about what was actually a Solution. I had the same questions about bugs and workarounds.

What others finally convinced me is the Accept as Solution should be marked if the information was useful in resolving the issue and more importantly if the OP felt that it would be useful to anyone searching for help on the same or similar problem. So that's what I do.

I do think that maybe there should be more levels of Solutions available. So you could mark it as Solution-Workaround, Solution-Bug or Solution-Wish. Not necessarily those but some way to differentiate the Solutions.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 58 of 64 (804 Views)

03-23-2012 04:57 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Another thing. I hate to mark my own responses as the solution. But if I've found the answer outside of the groups and then post it. I fee I should so that others can find it.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 59 of 64 (761 Views)

04-05-2012 01:08 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

This is yet another sketchy thought assembled as I wait for Revit 2013 to convert a project...........

The current reputation system is quite flawed, as everyone knows. I'm sure that the team that set it up worked hard and mulled over several approaches before establishing this system, but there is simply not enough data to base the system on. Functions that a user controls (i.e., posts, tagging, etc.) should not be used when calculating this reputation, as it has been mentioned many times already, and one's reputation should be entirely controlled by other users. Currently, the only valid variable are Kudos and Authored Solutions, which are flawed for reasons already mentioned as well.

The image below depicts four alternate buttons designed to build a users reputation and personality by recognizing valuable traits. These function almost exactly like Kudos do, but they convey more about the user in general. This would also allow for a variety of user titles.

Reputation.JPG

So for instance I'm in trouble and need an answer quick and someone answers right away, I would mark him for Responsiveness. If his post was extremely detailed and it already answered my next three follow-up questions, I would mark him for Thoroughness.

And then I get back to Revit and see "Unknown Errors, Load Cancelled".........yay!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 60 of 64 (749 Views)

04-05-2012 02:38 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

It would be nice to see what other users gave Kudos.  Some forums do this.  It might help if Kudos is shown marked not only by the OP but by an Autodesk member or a fellow power-user. 

As for the suggestions in the post above me... I love it. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community