Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 21 of 188 (446 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-12-2012 02:07 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Couple things:

The colors and names are a direct attempt to get users to come back, correct?

-If someone new to the site sees that a user who has been here for 5, 10 or more years is answering their question I think they are more likely to seek advice here in the future. We are a visual beast are we not?

Getting someone to look for the answer will never fully work:

-Few if any will seek an aswer before asking a question. Many a time do we link to other threads that share similar or the same solution to an answer so the OP can find same; or link the Search thread for them. Hopefully the Solution check and Kudos will drive some of the boilerplate questions away. Though it is getting interesting finding new ways to say: Set PICKADD to 1.  Would be nice to not have to do so; but, again - human.

Experience with Autodesk employees answering questions:

-In my estimation this has only occured more recently. I do not think that this is something that will drive long term users and posters away but does further the idea that when someone new comes here they are getting an Autodesk employee answering the question. If t is to be a user Forum maybe that should be instilled in the new user when they get here and for the first ten times they post: This is an Enduser supported Forum. Autodesk hosts this site for Endusers by Endusers.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 22 of 188 (445 Views)

03-12-2012 02:07 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Oh yea - A second to Travis: More Macro space.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 23 of 188 (433 Views)

03-13-2012 06:18 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

As I am sure everyone is aware of, the sticky posts at the top of the forums are often ignored. For instance, there are regular posts for specific products in this forum. Would it be more noticeable to display such notices as crudely illustrated below?

ForumMessage.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 24 of 188 (430 Views)

03-13-2012 06:55 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

That's exactly my thinking, and I love the simplicity of it. Now if we can add a really blatant Welcome/Search message, make search new user friendly, and improve the ability to find accurate and complete user posted solutions I think we will have hit gold, huh?

Sounds like I need to involve users in all my brainstorming... :smileyhappy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 25 of 188 (423 Views)

03-13-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

So I'll go point by point, since you have some great points.

- Colors and Names: Serves a dual purpose. Visually separates out who might be really helpful from who is new to the forums. Behind the scenes it's a gigantic mathematical puzzle for me to use to figure out who you all are.

- Are you suggesting we show an additonal field (maybe do away with the 'Registered:') that says something like

Charles_Shade

7 Year Member

In some ways it would be nice if we could do something a bit more clear, but then we're headed in the direction of flashy graphics and that just isn't going to fly with most of you... or me.

- Getting any search to work perfectly requires perfectly educated, incredibly intelligent, and highly logical humans. They don't exist, so all I'm looking to do is improve on what we have. We know right now that you'll keep seeing questions like 'How do I change the color of my materials?' (just about any product), and there's not only help files on it, but blogs, and forum posts. Some how I need to get browsers to search before leaving, and new users to search before posting. Impossible? No. Insanely difficult? Yep.

- I think we can fix the perception of the forums by just getting a more human side to it. I'm always hearing in the forums and in rants 'Autodesk doesn't care about it's customers'. It sounds kind of crazy, but here I am talking to you, so for once you might not be thinking of Autodesk as a whole entity. You're talking to just me... just one part of Autodesk who does care (really, I do! Promise!). I don't know if I can change the mass perception, but I know that I have managed to change a few folk's perception.

Maybe if we can get our new users to see who they're really talking to as well, they'll start to appreciate the super users and others who answer their questions instead of demanding Autodesk. I know it might sound crazy, but someday I'd really like to do a 'Meet your super users' type of thing. Feature a write up in each forum about the people who help, some pictures, etc. Just an idea, but I want to promote the 'By user, for user' mentality.

Awesome ideas, so thanks for sharing and being honest with me. Glad the users in this forum don't feel the need to sugarcoat everything! :smileywink:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 26 of 188 (410 Views)

03-13-2012 10:58 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

".... Feature a write up in each forum about the people who help, some pictures, etc. Just an idea..."

Great, now I need to get a life and do something interesting to chat about. Oh, and bathe/shave too: the pressure... :smileysad:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 27 of 188 (403 Views)

03-13-2012 12:03 PM in reply to: pendean

...make the basement not look so havel like...

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 28 of 188 (397 Views)

03-13-2012 12:07 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

<<<- Are you suggesting we show an additonal field (maybe do away with the 'Registered:') that says something like

Charles_Shade

7 Year Member >>>

No I wasn't suggesting that just thought that this is why Autodesk has instituted these changes in order to let newbs and others know who might be useful in their response. I suspect my own contribution is 50/50 in terms of what I get right/wrong and maybe should not be highlighted and I know others who are very deserving of the additional notoriety even if they do not want or deem it necessary.

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 29 of 188 (392 Views)

03-13-2012 12:15 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry I misunderstood.

So, yes - changes were made to make it easier for someone to think 'Huh, this guy has been around since '05 and has 5000 posts. Maybe he knows what he's talking about versus the new guy saying the opposite thing.' Is it working? I don't know quite yet.

I know certain forums have a pretty regular showing of super users, so regular users who are here for help know who to trust (seems to be the most apparent in Inventor). But I'm suspecting that it's because they see the name JDMather and go 'Oh, JDMather... he's good!', not 'Tons of posts? Check. Active lots of years? Check.'.

Such a process, huh?

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 30 of 188 (360 Views)

03-15-2012 07:12 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Not to pick on one user of this forum, but he is a great example of how your ratings system does not work:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community