Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 131 of 188 (551 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-20-2012 07:26 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

I was away from reliable internet all weekend

Welcome to the cloud. :smileywink:

And Steve_Johnson, I assure you I'm working insanely hard to figure out ways to keep folks like Dean, JD Mather, Travis (ok, just about everyone who has posted here it seems) at the top of the ranking list. In my other life, when I'm not posting on this forum, I'm crunching numbers and being a math geek. So, I think I've come up with some pretty effective ways at putting everyone at approriate ranks, but far from perfect.

I think you may have slightly missed the point I was making, which was that a ranking of people who are most active and helpful does not directly correspond to a ranking of who is most knowledgeable.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 132 of 188 (549 Views)

03-20-2012 08:20 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles_Shade wrote:

Search for Help was much better prior to the rollout of the new Forum.

Pretty much everything was better prior to the rollout of first Jive and then Lithium. Search that worked well, threaded views so we could see who was replying to who, decent performance, efficient use of screen real estate, much fewer usability issues, code that displayed properly without being converted to smiley faces, NNTP support, the list goes on. How I yearn for the days before we had a state-of-the-art web experience. The sky was bluer, the water was cleaner, the grass was greener and the bacon was tastier.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 133 of 188 (529 Views)

03-21-2012 06:42 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

I can't believe how big this thread has become! Not complaining at all though. I asked for your help... and I got it. :smileyhappy: I am beyond happy to know that I have a community that will actually do things like this!

Please feel free to keep chucking ideas, comments, complaints (make them constructive please), or whatever you have my way as I start trying to identify every single item you folks have mentioned and what I can do about it. Hopefully some great stuff will come out of this.

Just a side note - if anyone has any comments or complaints they don't want to put out in the public space, please feel free to PM me or e-mail me at Jillian.Bejtlich@Autodesk.com.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :smileyvery-happy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 134 of 188 (517 Views)

03-21-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Edited @ 9:21 AM EST to include more user suggestions!

Alright... so I just went through and re-read every single post in this entire thread and made a nice long list of all the suggestions. Just to re-confirm I heard you all correctly, the list is below. I've added the names of the folks who mentioned the suggestion on to each just so I can come back and ask you more about it if needed. Also, as much as I would like to be able to work miracles and turn water into tastier beverages, I can't make any promises. Having a huge user driven list is a massive first step though!

If you see something you want to elaborate on (even if it isn't your suggestion), just copy and paste the suggestion into a reply and go nuts. :smileylol:

Improvements Users Would Like:

• Ability to turn off colors/avatars by personal profile (Pendean)
  • Improve overall loading speed of forums (Ampster)
  • More macro space to provide helpful links (TravisNave, Charles_Shade)
  • Make search functionality easier to use. Allow users to search just Autodesk.com, or includethe forums, or just search the forums without having to know about the advanced options. (TravisNave, JohnM, Pendean)
  • Make searching the preferred first activity in the forums so that guests will find answers and new members will be inclined to use existing info instead of posting redundant questions (TravisNave)
  • Keep the forums clean, easy to read, professional looking and with lots of whitespace (TravisNave)
  • Give SUs the ability to flag a post for Autodesk’s attention (CADastrophe)
  • Provide some type of training to new users about how to post (clear, well written), participate, and use the features in the forum. (Jeff_M, BrianHailey, CADastrophe)
  • Give SUs a larger attachment limit than regular posters since they’re the ones providing solutions. (SBoon)
  • Fix the timeout issue that occurs when you leave a post or PM up too long. (SBoon, JohnM)
  • Promote the concept of ‘By user, for user’. (Charles_Shade)
  • Display important notices in far more noticeable ways than the muted announcements and stickies. (CADastrophe)
  • Make macros accessible via the mobile website. (TravisNave)
  • Figure out how to merge old accounts. (TravisNave)
  • Find a way to detect engaging and helpful users early on. (Charles_Shade)
  • Improve formatting – quoting and copying/pasting are difficult to use. (RossKirby)
  • Include an in-thread response dialog/”Quick Reply” instead of being taken to a new page. (RossKirby, PaulMunford)
  • Improve browser compatibility. (RossKirby)
  • Give users the option of stacking responses directly beneath the comments being responding to. (RossKirby, BrianHailey, rkmcswain, JohnM)
  • Show the number of accepted solutions with post count in the left pane. (RossKirby, Alfredo_Medina)
  • Let SUs nominate stickies as they know the forum trends best. (RossKirby)
  • Let SUs post videos (Alfredo_Medina)
  • Enable the ability to easily create tables inside posts without having to know HTML. (Alfredo_Medina)
  • Allow users to sort by unreplied/unsolved/etc. messages so they’re able to find which threads need work. (JohnM, rkmcswain)
  • Allow for Subscriptions (e-mail notifications) and Bookmarks (no e-mails, but listed for easy reference like Subscriptions). (rkmcswain)
  • Consider a static navigation pane. (Jason.Piercey)
  • Default open attached images in new tab, not same window. (Alfredo_Medina, CADastrophe)
  • Move the image target field otpions to settings from formatting. This way everyone can open all images the way they want and not how the poster set it. (CADastrophe)
  • Ranking System: Colored symbol, but black user ID (CADastrophe)
  • Darker division lines between posts (CADastrophe)
  • Get rid of registry date and replace with kudos and solutions. (CADastrophe)
  • Above the 'Message # of #' add in 'Replied to Message #' with link to original message. (CADastrophe)
  • Enclose signature in a box with slight indentation so it's obvious that it is a signature. (CADastrophe)
  • Let users save drafts. (TravisNave) - Implemented 4/27/2012

User Engagement Requested:

• Bigger get together at AU (TravisNave, CBenner)
  • Have a ‘Test Your Knowledge’ challenge and forum. Weekly question from a super user, dev, qa, PS that users try to figure out the answer to. Person with the best solution or the correct answer gets their name on the leader board. Change the products up so all get to participate. (CADastrophe, Pendean, SBoon)
  • Bring back the Autodesk Facilitator Program (Jason.Piercey, Alfredo_Medina)
  • Make this more of a “community”. Have things like “Post of the Month”, polls, etc. that keep people interested instead of just asking and answering questions. (RossKirby)
  • Have a CAD free zone for users to talk about other stuff, network, etc. (CBenner, JohnM)
  • Challenge users to help via blogs, Twitter, etc. (PaulMunford)

Company Engagement Requested By Users:

• Get corporate bloggers involved in the forums. This way they'll know the common questions and trends. (PaulMunford)

Thank you everyone for all the ideas!!!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 135 of 188 (500 Views)

03-21-2012 11:19 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

I think you missed the ones I referenced in an earlier post in this thread.

I'll point you to them again: (there are 4 in here)

bookmarking feature

new replies

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but most, if not all, of the technical "wishes" that you listed above would be solved if these forums were vBulletin format. I know it's too late to change now, but I can't help but point out (as others have) the shortsightedness of the original move to http only.

Valued Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 136 of 188 (507 Views)

03-21-2012 11:27 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

Give users the option of stacking responses directly beneath the comments being responding to.  

Just so we are clear.  Lets not confuse a properly threaed view with the "List By Topic" option.

Also a static navigation pane is very helpful.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 137 of 188 (499 Views)

03-21-2012 11:41 AM in reply to: Jason.Piercey

....and, ... this issue was mentioned in one of the previous posts of this thread, but did not make it on the final list:

Can images posted as attachments open in their own separate tab, as in the rest of the Internet, please? :smileyhappy:

I know I can do that by using Control + Click, but I forget that, 90% of the time, and when I close the tab, I unintentionally shut down the forum, too, having to start all over again from scratch. Very annoying... and not very "engaging"...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 138 of 188 (486 Views)

03-21-2012 11:56 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you! I added those suggestions in. I knew I'd miss some unfortunately, so thank you for catching them for me!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 139 of 188 (483 Views)

03-21-2012 12:00 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Can images posted as attachments open in their own separate tab, as in the rest of the Internet, please? :smileyhappy:

Seconded. Could there at least be an override under My Settings to always open them a separate window/tab? And similarly, (I mentioned this early in the thread) can the option illustrated below be removed from there are placed in My Settings as a user default setting? Then everyone opens everything however they please.

InsertEditLink.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 140 of 188 (464 Views)

03-21-2012 01:09 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jill,

Maybe starting a new thread with this "master" list would be a good idea. At the moment, it is buried deep amongst the other posts and one must dig to find it. Or maybe go back to your initial post and add the list to that one, so it's right in the front and easy to find...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community