*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 31 of 52 (1,190 Views)

Re: Social network buttons

11-12-2012 05:10 AM in reply to: pendean

Nice Avatar

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 32 of 52 (1,184 Views)

11-12-2012 08:12 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Since i _still_ can't turn them off....

Valued Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 33 of 52 (1,180 Views)

11-12-2012 09:10 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

These buttons simply make it easier for employees to violate company policies, for those companies who have restrictions on what sites can be used on a company-owned computer.  Would it be possible to stop with the fluff here, and actually introduce things that are useful?  Oh, wait.... nevermind.

Alumni
brian.kling
Message 34 of 52 (1,165 Views)

11-13-2012 05:38 AM in reply to: pendean

Dean, I use Chrome and all the buttons appear for me, are you using latest Chrome version?

Brian Kling
Community Strategist
Customer Service & Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Alumni
brian.kling
Message 35 of 52 (1,166 Views)

11-13-2012 05:44 AM in reply to: JGerth

Hi James, there is no personal information provided in sharing posts, only that information which is already publicly available in posts in this community which anyone can find using Google, Bing or other search engine for example.

Brian Kling
Community Strategist
Customer Service & Support
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 36 of 52 (1,147 Views)

11-13-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: brian.kling

Brian,

The problem is not publishing personal information -- (although Autodesk has on multiple occasions dumped personally identifiable information of their users and posters into the wild - so there's not much faith in their ability to protect user's data).  After repeated incidents, I've come to terms and limit to the extent possible the amount of personal information that I make available to any vendor or forum, whether public or private.

The real problem is that it's not possible for me as a user to limit/eliminate the 'social' crud that you are associating with each and every one of my posts.  The obvious take-away, in looking at any of the posts, is that the poster _approves and endorses_ the links to social diseases, er.... media.

Some people do, and they are most welcome to include links to farcebook or wherever they like.  for those of us who don't, it's offensive and disrespectful to force links to such predatory and fundamentally dishonest sites.

(besides, think of all the poor elctrons being wasted to  push those glaringly obnoxious colors onto millions of computer screens across the world :smileyhappy:  headache inducing they are....

Hence the disclaimer.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 37 of 52 (1,140 Views)

11-13-2012 10:10 AM in reply to: JGerth

I agree completely. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 38 of 52 (1,126 Views)

11-13-2012 05:10 PM in reply to: brian.kling

Yes, but I do have a lot of add-ons, one of them must be blocking it then.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 39 of 52 (924 Views)

11-26-2012 07:59 PM in reply to: pendean

I use social media pretty extensively, but that is of course completely irrelevant as to whether this is a good idea or not. It isn't. I see it as more pointlessly wasted vertical space that just leads to more scrolling and makes this place less efficient.

But... http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2012/11/22/autodesks-social-media-consultant-spills-the-beans/

If it's corporate policy that's pushing this, there's no point in anybody asking for its removal because that won't happen. Best we can hope for is that it gets changed to some sane location, such as the page header (without wasting any more space, please). If we really do need one per post, how about sticking a share button (one, singular) in the midst of that wasted space in the left column? Stick the other stuff there, too (kudos, report, etc.).

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 40 of 52 (865 Views)

11-27-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

Nice pitch to route more traffic to your own social locations :smileywink:

I think that may have invalidated your own point about why it shouldn't be necessary...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community