Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 1 of 7 (1,497 Views)

Signature, Part II (Static)

1497 Views, 6 Replies
10-04-2012 06:51 AM

Many users here list their software/hardware Information in their signature line so that it appears automatically in every post. The problem with this is if the information changes (which it most certainly will), all of the previous posts in which the software version (and possibly other info) was relevant becomes incorrect. I've gone back to old posts to find that someone posted a question in 2010 that was relevant to the version, but the signature in the post reported that his current version was 2013. A visitor from the future, perhaps?

The "proper" method to report this information in through the use of macros, but that requires the user to remember to insert it for each and every post. Easy to forget, especially if one is not very used to the software (which is the case with most of the users that are asking the questions).

I would propose that a second "signature" field be created that would be automatically added to the end of the standard signature. This field, however, should be titled "Product/Hardware Info" and the text of this field should remain static, and unchanging once added to a post. Would this even be possible with this forum software?

(I bring this up because I saw it was posted about again recently)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (1,487 Views)

Re: Signature, Part II (Static)

10-04-2012 02:01 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I like it.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 3 of 7 (1,445 Views)

10-10-2012 10:02 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I absolutely agree to this. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 4 of 7 (1,439 Views)

10-10-2012 01:42 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

My issue with hardware in the signature is often there are multiples listed.

Work PC

bla bla lba

Home PC

bla bla bla

Laptop

bla bla bla

Is the person who is answering the question supposed to guess which you are using?

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 7 (1,424 Views)

10-11-2012 04:36 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I am one of the offenders and am considering removing that info but I don't see where it is wholly detrimental.

If the solution is valid for the particular platform then it is valid regardless of the originators or posters updated information at a later date.

And how often does someone disregard a Solution if the signature does not match the OP's current configuration?

Travis asked: More Macro choices would be welcome.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 6 of 7 (1,418 Views)

10-11-2012 05:38 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles_Shade wrote:

"And how often does someone disregard a Solution if the signature does not match the OP's current configuration?"

I'm more wary about product version than computer stats for this, but I image it's actually pretty rare that it matters in either case at the moment. My concern lies particularly with Revit, in which the product changes somewhat significantly in each release. One example that I used in a previous post was the function "Ghost Surfaces", which no longer exists in Revit after the 2012 release. If one searches and find previous posts that include solutions that employ "Ghost Surfaces" and if any of those users have updated their signature, then Revit 2013 may be listed in the thread creating a confusing conflict.

This is more of a desire to preserve the information and accuracy of the past posts. If information is listed in one's signature, then this information may have had an impact on the post, hence, I consider that info part of the original post.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 7 of 7 (1,408 Views)

10-11-2012 12:45 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Hmm. Good ideas. Anything that goes into a signature will continue to change as your signature evolves over time, as you've noticed. Macros have all sorts of funky behavior too.

I'll ask our web guy the next time I have a meeting with him and find out. It would be especially nice to have a way to see what version of software a user is on, so it's a valid request.

Thank you all!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community