Community Feedback

Employee
wrighte
Message 1 of 10 (1,448 Views)

Private Messaging Feature Now Available

1448 Views, 9 Replies
08-23-2011 02:53 PM

Many of you have asked for a way to message other forum users privately without relying on email or exposing email addresses.  Now you can!  It functions similar to email, but is maintained within the forum platform and only between forum users.

To send a message, click on the userID of the person you want to message.  On their profile page you’ll see a new module to:

• Send a message to the selected user
  • Add the user to address book of “Friends”
  • Ignore user (blocks any inbound messages form this user)

module2.jpg

You can access your private messaging mailbox by clicking on the   icon_notes_mail.gif   icon.  This icon will change to indicate when you have unread messages.  Here you can:

• View Your inbox and reply to messages received
  • Compose a new message
  • View and manage your address book of “Friends”

inbox.jpg

By default, Private Messenger is turned on for all users.  If you do not want to receive any private messaging you can disable the feature for your account under My Settings, Preferences, Private Messenger. Additional preferences can also be configured, including opting-out of email notifications for any received private messages.

We expect that this feature will complement the public forum activity. Let us know what you think. 

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 10 (1,383 Views)

Re: Private Messaging Feature Now Available

08-26-2011 12:40 PM in reply to: wrighte

Excellent!  Thanks for creating this feature. I suspect it will allow a greater ability to assist fellow users especially for instances where private information should not be discussed on the forums.  I also like the friends list.  It'll give me quick access to those users on here that are a good resource for information.

Keep up the good work -- things keep getting better! 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 3 of 10 (1,193 Views)

09-14-2011 01:59 PM in reply to: wrighte

Perhaps under My Settings » Preferences » Privacy Settings, one of the options for each of the three shared information types could be "Show...to Friends" to compliment this new feature. Just a thought as I have yet to make use of this...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 4 of 10 (1,189 Views)

09-14-2011 02:49 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I've noticed that I do not get an email notification that I have a PM like I do when somebody responds to a thread I am subscribed to.  It'd be nice to know I have a PM and be able to read it when I am not logged into the system.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Employee
wrighte
Message 5 of 10 (1,170 Views)

09-15-2011 11:34 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Good catch Travis.  It's an option we missed.  It's enabled now, but individual users will need to opt in under My Settings-->Preferences-->Private Messenger.

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

george63
Message 6 of 10 (1,091 Views)

09-21-2011 09:41 AM in reply to: wrighte

I am doing some school work and I would like to citation your website if you could help with the citing  i would be very gratefull my email is mcdonaldgeorge29@yahoo.com

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 10 (1,052 Views)

09-23-2011 12:11 PM in reply to: wrighte

I'm not a fan of this feature: so far I've had several users tap me directly for assistance instead of posting for the community at large for help and guidance with their issues. Flattered, but I don't need another mailbox to keep filtering and processing.

Got a fix? If not, come up with one like only admins can contact me for example. Otherwise I must turn it off soon.

Thanks.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Employee
wrighte
Message 8 of 10 (1,036 Views)

09-23-2011 01:55 PM in reply to: pendean

Most viable option is to turn it off, or use "ignore" function.  Admin knows where to find you :smileysurprised:- brooou-ha-ha-ha (sorry, it's Friday).

Eric Wright
Sr. Web Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 9 of 10 (1,032 Views)

09-23-2011 02:44 PM in reply to: wrighte

An "accept" of the invitation to receive private messages by the inviter would limit exposure if there was not another way to insulate the receiver.

BTW - I got you in my list Dean. :smileywink:

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 10 (1,005 Views)

09-26-2011 07:38 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

In turned it off: I don't need to keep track of yet another mailbox in my life :smileyhappy:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community