Community Feedback

Valued Contributor
PRSS
Message 1 of 6 (732 Views)

Autodesk new Policy - spate of India

732 Views, 5 Replies
12-30-2012 09:42 AM

Hello every body

I do not know if this is the correct place for this post. I do not find any sub forum for

qestions like this. I am just sharing my thoughts (rather worries) here.

Recently Autodesk has announced new pricing policy from the 1st of February 2013. From that

date any upgrade - even from the previous version-  would be 70 percent of the cost of the

software. Autodesk is forcing to go for subscription. In India (where Autodesk products are

unimaginably expensive - even at the special Indian price), I do not know how many like me

- who runs a SOHO private practice with only 5 staff - and who is bent on using legal,

licensed softwares only - would continuously be able to afford the recurring expenditure on

subscriptions every year.

So many of us have made hue & cry regarding the prices of Autodesk products here in India -

only in vain.

If the Autodesk products became affordable enough to Indian conditions, even though the

money made by Autodesk would be smaller (than from other countries), but it will have a

great many number of buyers, thereby enormously bringing down the unauthorised use of

software. Or probably it would be making much more money in selling to great many numbers

at a much lower cost than selling a few at high prices.

This "take it or leave it - we command our prices" policy makes us (in India) to think

about aleternative CAD software. (Of course there are other lower priced alternatives like

Vectorworks, etc.) The trouble is,  it has to be a sort of a clone to AutoCAD. Otherwise it

becomes impractical to get used to totally new software and it becomes literally impossible

to train each new staff with a totally different CAD software. Of course there are a number

of clones available which are quite affordable - but sadly none are as stable as AutoCAD -

even for 2D drafting one has to take quite some effort with these clones to finish a

project successfully. No AutoCAD clone can come even near to even AutoCAD LT. So the lowest

priced CAD here has to be inevitably AutoCAD LT.

I sort of overheard that in China, Autodesk is selling its products at a very, very, low

price. So why not in India also?

It is no secret that India has one of the highest unauthorized users of Autodesk products -

it is said.

So why is not Autodesk encouraging small users (SOHO) like me who are bent in using

Licensed Softwares by giving us their product at affordable prices which should be in

context with Indian affordability.

For instance, 3ds Max is about 3500 USD . A professional visualizer in U.S. charges about

3000 USD to 7000 USD per project. So he is able plough back the investment in almost one

project.

Here in India, this price means about Rupees 200000 (two hundred thousand rupees). A

professional visualizer here charges about Rupees 6000 per project. So it takes about 33

projects for him get back the cost of software itself.

So in what way even the special pricing for some Autodesk products really help us Indians

here? It is still unaffordable.

Will Autodesk really care for small people in India? If not is there an alternative? (It

seems only huge Multi National companies here can afford this - or very huge AEC firms can

afford this).

During a recent Autodesk Survey in which I participated, it is evident that Autodesk is on

its way not to sell licenses perpetually and instead start renting the software. Actually,

in India, this will have a chain reaction of expenses - like upgrading the OS every

frequently and also replacing computers frequently (because one will be forced to use the

latest version - which is not so in India. I still use AutoCAD LT 2009 4 copies plus one

copy LT 2013 Plus one BDS Premium 2013. I gave up upgrading 4 copies of LT 2009 because I

could not afford it)

So with these kind of situation, I wonder what would be the status of Indian Autodesk

users.

Again, even  the existing situation has lead to this here. Even though Autodesk products

are very expensive and affordable only by the MNCs and the like or Giant AEC companies here

who reap in dollars, however, usage of the products by most of the others is not uncommon -

it is said they simply use unauthorized software. Now here comes the bitter part of it in

that for such of those small people who do pay for the licensed software, they stand to

lose lot of money because his /her competitor uses unauthorized software and the amount not

spent is a huge profit (because of the very huge price of the product - and of course

multiple copies have to be had to run an office - so savings from expensive software

amounts to extra earnings). So these people could quote lower fees than us legitimate

users. And we really stand to lose. The clients themselves are not bothered whether

somebody is using legitimate software or not. If they could get the services at a lower

price they only go for it. They wouldn't pay higher just because somebody is paying for the

software.

Whatever I have said here is not a sudden outbreak from something just happened. This has

come out from  years of my observations here in India. Some people seem to even think and

claim that it is their birth right to use unauthorized software.

I do have some friends of mine who exactly have the same mindset and attitude that I have.

Always use legitimate software. But since recently we are pushed to a conclusion that we,

the legitimate users would wither away to dust and the illegitimate users would be shining,

thriving and would have high standards of life (instead of buying software, they simply buy

more hardware and increase staff and increase their turnover - and whereas we legitimate

people get forced to stick to older hardware and spend the money on software upgrading, and

then not have enough money to add computers & staff with additional licenses for software.

Unless Autodesk takes a lenient view on their prices in India, we, the legitimate users are

going to disappear from their respective fields!!

If this is not the forum to discuss this, then let the moderators please transfer this to

an appropriate sub-forum. My humble request is, make this known to others and to Autodesk.

With best regards
PRSS

LiseGarner2808
Message 2 of 6 (658 Views)

Re: Autodesk new Policy - spate of India

01-02-2013 09:07 AM in reply to: PRSS

Ditto for all of us that are sole proprietors that rely on Autodesk products to make a living.  You said it well.

Valued Contributor
PRSS
Message 3 of 6 (616 Views)

01-02-2013 05:46 PM in reply to: LiseGarner2808

I have been waiting for someone from Autodesk to reply me on this post. It is obvious that this forum is moderated by Autodesk personnel and they would just not have missed this. Remaining silent, it means they are sticking to the policy of "take it or leave it - this is our price".

If this is going to be their attitude, then here in India, Autodesk would have popularity with only two categories:

1) Multi National Companies (offices in India run by companies outside India - say, U.S. etc. and huge Indian Corporates who make money in U.S.Dollars  and  a few huge AEC firms.

2) All those who use unauthorised softwares.

I think it is really high time here in India to find out some sort of solution to an alternative to Autodesk. In fact, Indian Institute of Architects, Tamilnadu Chapter - the state where I am - did take it up very seriouslyon this matter some time back and really worked on this sometime and somehow the vigour has gone now. May be I shoud take the initiative to talk to the Chairman or some enthusiastic office bearer in IIA now and re-kindle the search for an alternative. I cannot be a lone fighter and a lone fellow to do a massive research for an alternative.

With best regards

PRSS

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (570 Views)

01-03-2013 06:03 AM in reply to: PRSS

My guess is with a worldwide 70% of List cost charges, they can overlook some regional software infractions: reality though, unless they are trying to gain market share in a region, we are all getting stung by the price hike. ALL of us: while I feel your pain, I don't think you should deserve a discount over the rest of us.

Autodesk is a business, not a charity or an NGO with private funding: they respond to major sales drops, not posts on newsgroups. Try that approach. But keep in mind that the middle-class is vanishing everywhere and doing business has never been cheap or easy or gauranteed and "tools" costs has always been the hardest part of a business to own.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
PRSS
Message 5 of 6 (500 Views)

01-06-2013 08:59 PM in reply to: pendean

I do understand that Autodesk is not a charity business. I am not blaming them about their prices. I am only making a plea.  Why India deserves a lower price?

Please see my quote:

"For instance, 3ds Max is about 3500 USD . A professional visualizer in U.S. charges about

3000 USD to 7000 USD per project. So he is able plough back the investment in almost one

project.

Here in India, this price means about Rupees 200000 (two hundred thousand rupees). A

professional visualizer here charges about Rupees 6000 per project. So it takes about 33

projects for him get back the cost of software itself.

So in what way even the special pricing for some Autodesk products really help us Indians

here? It is still unaffordable."

This is why I think India should get a lower price - in context with Indian economy and cost of living.

With best regards

PRSS

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 6 (482 Views)

01-07-2013 11:58 AM in reply to: PRSS

There are many associated local factors which are not readily thought of, such as increases in costs of labor, engery, or even government taxes/fees intented to promote internal businesses over external sources.

Historically, lower wages have been used to create lower project costs to entice work from other areas.  As operating costs increase, those project costs will have to increase as well to cover that increase.  Can't keep costs unnaturally low, isolated from all factors, without creating some economic problems.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community