04-02-2013 10:29 AM

Why no specific AutoCAD 2014 forum?

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 2 of 23 (1,836 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2014 forums

04-02-2013 10:40 AM in reply to: AUGIfr

Hi AUGIfr,

In an effort to ensure that users get quick and accurate answers to their questions, we’re making some minor changes to the forums. One of those changes is to merge some of the product forums so it is easier for new users to find the correct location to post and for contributors (super users, support, etc.) to monitor and answer questions. We're basically just way too spread out right now, and it's often very confusing for users.

The AutoCAD 2014 board is one of these changes as we've decided to merge it with AutoCAD 2013 since the file version is the same.

As always, feedback is more than welcome!

Thank you!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Active Contributor
AUGIfr
Message 3 of 23 (1,829 Views)

04-02-2013 10:53 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Thanks, in that case, why not a single AutoCAD forum with an optional dropdown list for the release that would allow to filter messages related to specific releases functionnalities?

I do not see the file format as a interesting criteria distinguishing a release from another.

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 4 of 23 (1,825 Views)

04-02-2013 10:55 AM in reply to: AUGIfr

We are hoping to eventually end up with a format such as you have described someday, but for now we don't have all that quite set up yet. Separating the boards by file versions at least gives users relative information and a chance to work with compatible files.

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 5 of 23 (1,779 Views)

04-02-2013 07:58 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

A problem with this is that people reporting problems very often won't specify their release (yes, even if you put up a notice asking them to do so). Problems that exist in one release may not in another, or may have a different workaround, so people reproducing the problem will get confused, or the workaround may not work, etc. FIle compatibility is not a particularly relevant issue for the vast majority of content here.

So if this confusion is to be avoided, for at least some topics, helpers will have to ask and then get a reply about what release is being used before a definitive answer can be given. This is not the most efficient way of doing things, nor is it the most friendly introduction to first-time users coming here with a problem.

If you really insist on doing this, will you also combine 2005/06/07, 2007//08/09 and 2010/11/12 for consistency? I'm not suggesting this (I think it would be an equally bad idea), just asking.

As a matter of interest, did anybody bother asking the opinions of the core of people providing the vast majority of support here before making this call?

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
*Expert Elite*
braudpat
Message 6 of 23 (1,771 Views)

04-03-2013 01:22 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

Hello from France

I think it's a error/mistake to have the same forum for 2013 & 2014 ...

<Humour ON>

Everybody knows that the 2014 is a "minor" release and Autodesk decide to use the SAME forum for 2013 & 2014

So Autodesk confirms the fact that 2014 is not a "real" release compared to 2013 (except support for Windows 8)

<Humour OFF>

For me, the main problem is : people writing in this forum, will forget to say "I have a 2013 or a 2014 version ... "

As said AUGIFR = Patrick (an other Frenchie) >>>

I do not see the file format as a interesting criteria distinguishing a release from another

<<<  I agree with Patrick ...

Bye, Pat

Bye, Pat

Active Contributor
AUGIfr
Message 7 of 23 (1,762 Views)

04-03-2013 02:05 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

Hi Steve,

Yes probably most users will not provide their release when necessary, they are humans after all, let's say in most cases, this will be ok, because in most cases either the release does not matter or we assume people are using a reasonably recent AutoCAD.

I am using this technique (specifying optionaly the release) on my own forums (exmateria.com) and I think it's the less bad solution. (can I say "less bad"?)

Alltogether I would prefer having one forum for one release instead of one forum for one AutoCAD file format, which is a really.... bad idea.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 8 of 23 (1,745 Views)

04-03-2013 05:53 AM in reply to: AUGIfr

If the release is important to your answer just ask with the first follow up. This is something I do all the time.

There really are some boiler plate quetions that should be asked:

Version?

OS?

RAM?

Video?

At this point the OP is at least aware that these things may need to be addressed. It is easy to be insulated fromt he overall scope of the issue if the OP does not ask or review these things regulalry like the long time posters here and in other Forums.

From what I have read there does not seem to be a lot of enhancements over the 2013 Release except for user interface.

Except for Win 8 management and the typical issues with new software version may not make much difference here.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 9 of 23 (1,730 Views)

04-03-2013 06:36 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

This is a very bad idea.  The features are not the same and questions on 2014 functionality do not apply to 2013.  The current implementation will create a confusing mess, and if I (as a reasonably knowledgeable person) find it a mess, beginners will be worse off.

On the main page there are at least a dozen items with (1) post but you combined 2013/2014?

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 23 (1,719 Views)

04-03-2013 06:57 AM in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks for the update on features, I was only commenting on the Comparison page:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad/compare/compare-releases

And here is a post where the first questions are related to the System:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/Purchased-AutoCAD-LT-2014-but-cant-download/m-p/3821961/hig...

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community