Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 1 of 23 (479 Views)

A Solution: Once Upon a Time...

479 Views, 22 Replies
04-11-2012 12:44 PM

There's another potential problem with the "Marked as a Solution" system. This simple example shall illustrate:

In this post (Ghost Surface Setting?) that is marked a a Solution, the solution states that such functionality does not exist. However, this exact feature (well, almost exact) has been introduced in Revit 2013.

Now, this archived "Solution" has actually become detrimental due to the obsolete and now incorrect information, entirely because the current version of Revit was not mentioned in that post. This could become a much larger mess for Revit specifically, because tools and features often change drastically between releases.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 2 of 23 (399 Views)

Re: A Solution: Once Upon a Time...

04-13-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

So in a perfect world, or at least perfect forum, saying that "Functionality doesn't exist yet" wouldn't be a solution. It would be an answer. If someone then gave you a workaround for that lack of functionality, you still don't have a solution. You have a workaround. Now, if someone truly gives you a solution to a problem, then you have an accepted solution.

Ugh, my own head is spinning now. Basically, my point is that "accepted solutions" don't totally fit in all scenarios. I've had a large amount of users now ask if we could throw in an "accepted workaround" button and a "this worked for me too" button as well. How do you think that would work? I know one of those is possible and the other isn't (not saying which yet), so feedback anyone?

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 3 of 23 (376 Views)

04-15-2012 04:26 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

I don't mind adding a second solution button for this purpose.  Solutions do change.  A work around might be fixed in a later service pack.  The problem isn't as much selecting the solution, it's actually getting people to at least mark posts as a solution.  How many hundreds do I have that go unmarked?  Perhaps power users should get a different option to mark as 'peer approved' if we see a solution that has gone unmarked?  Regular members here have no problems giving kudos, but most of us are not marking solutions because we're not asking the questions. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 23 (339 Views)

04-20-2012 06:40 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

May I ask if there is an overall or long-term plan behind this Solutions system? Or was it simply implemented under the notion of a new, neat little feature? I like the idea, but without some kind of monitoring, I strongly believe that the information will eventually become a muddled mess. But my thought is that too many of these posts have vague, almost cryptic solutions, are now or eventually will be incorrect, and do not have full information such as Product and Release info. I'm repeating myself, I know, but what's the point of a feature if it doesn't really help or isn't working ideally? I have done many searches here and those Solution marks have been minimally useful so far.

And I now also agree that the Super-Users should definitely be able to mark posts as Solutions, and I don't care if the OP marked his own "Thanks!" as a Solution - as long as it's there somewhere; however, how is a person (mind you - even one who has little or no experience with this forum to know about the "in reply to") who searched for it supposed to know exactly which post the Solution was then? The Super-Users should also possess a limited power to amend posts, for instance being able to add additional information and/or notes.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 5 of 23 (335 Views)

04-20-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

We're constantly working on accepted solutions, and no they weren't a feature we just stuck in here to be cool. In a perfect forum, they would help with a number of things such as helping users find answers, highlighting which users provide the most answers, and how often a solution is viewed later on (means we probably need to have some official documentation on it). Of course, when you throw things in like users marking their own 'Thanks for the help' as the accepted solution, not marking anything at all, or marking the wrong answer altogether - it definitely creates a mess!

So how do we fix this mess? A lot of it is user education. Right now the button says 'Accept as Solution' when it probably should say something like 'Mark this post as the answer'. I've tried to put some amount of enlightenment in any of the user documentation, but chances are people are stopping right after how to post. They're not getting to kudos and accepted solutions. :smileymad:

I keep gravitating towards giving specific users the ability to mark solutions, make notes, or other special powers (kind of like a moderator - but more like an answer moderator). I figure if I was to grant special powers to about 100 of you, it might work out. I'll keep discussing with the rest of the forums team, and let you all know what comes of it.

Thanks for the input... again! So glad to have a group that doesn't hold back. :smileyvery-happy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 23 (323 Views)

04-20-2012 10:48 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

There are times when it would be good to be able to mark an answer as the solution for the OP who does not do so. Would add a bit more opportunity to have good answers out there.

I think we talke about bringing the anser in front of thre of four to bandy about and accept. Maybe with a little reqording as could be needed.

Not to sure about being able to undo marked solutions as this may have been what the OP needed so it was marked as such.

(Being able to unmark Thanks as a solution would be useful)

I am guilty of marking my own solution the other day after a little back and forth with Dean.

Actually marked both his and mine because I thought both answers were needed to clear up the issue.

So in that case the ability as the OP to accept more than one made sense to me.

As far as marking a workaround as opposed to a solution and then having that workaround incorporated into newer releases then having to go back and unmark that workaround even though the workaround still works you just do not need it any more is a bit like this sentence (you never will get to the end if it).

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 7 of 23 (299 Views)

04-25-2012 09:29 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Check out this post. Quite a few people liked the idea and hashed out the benefits and flaws. After I thought about it some more, I would add that for the known issue option, Autodesk could/should later overwrite this if a service pack or hotfix is released.

In a perfect world I would also have there be a series of questions for each new post asking the poster what flavor of AutoCAD they are using. Then having those listed discreetly, perhaps in the left hand User Info Bar. Sometimes I just don't answer questions because there is a total lack of information, and I don't want to sound snarky asking for it!

The product info would also help searchers, especially when the problem is solved with a later release. Very prevalent for users of Revit and Civil3D, where each release brings more improvements (and flaws :smileytongue:).

~ Mary

CADastrophe
Message 8 of 23 (293 Views)

04-25-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: MarySeufert

A common view about "Solution" vs. "Work-Around", and mine as well. This whole argument is based on the definition and term "Solution". I think that it should just be:

Accept as a  RESOLUTION

Then, whether it's a solution or work-around or even a "sorry, no-can-do", it makes it's point without all the controversy. Even if a Solution changes latter on (as per the example at the beginning of this post), it can bee added to and it's still a "Resolution". I really think that two additional letters ("RE") can make a world of difference...

*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 9 of 23 (286 Views)

04-25-2012 10:58 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Resolution would be a much better word to use if they can't have a multiple choice option. I often shake my head at what gets termed a solution, since to me it is not. Even if it is my own reply that gets mislabeled! Words and their meaning make a world of difference.

~ Mary

Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 23 (278 Views)

04-25-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: MarySeufert

That is one of the questions being asked here.

Should other users of the Forums have the ability to override or chang an Accepted Solution.

And it is all semantics. It very well could be that the answer solved or resolved the OP's need therefore marking it as the correct answer regardless of what we may think.

(Except for those that mark their own thanks as a solution of course.)

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community