Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced CADD Operator

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
staub21
1123 Views, 7 Replies

Experienced CADD Operator

Looking to start a business from my home or work for someone from my home. I am experienced in MicrStation and AutoCAD all Civil. Can do just about anything with a CAD system. Been in the drafting arena for over 30 years and started using Micrstation CADD when it started.

Not sure if this would be a good business to get into or if there is work out there.

Thank you,

Tim

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Tim,

One of the first issues you'll need to address is, do you have or how quickly can you get a license of the CAD programs you'll be using? Do you have a computer capable of running the software? How or where do you stand as far as contacts and references in the field? And lastly, how are you at sales?

All of these you will have to address, not to mention the typical things like having a business license and whatever other requirements your state and local gov't require you to file. On top of that, one of the biggest hurdles you'll encounter is getting a company to allow you to work from home. For whatever reason, most will not agree to this at least until you can prove to them it can be done effectively. I've been "telecommuting" since 1999 and it's more productive than being in their office most of the time, mainly due to far less interruptions or distractions. The key is to get your foot in the door first, prove to them you are capable and then see if you can show them it can be done at home. The cost savings for both is huge but some places don't see that yet, so you'll have to show them.

I started out running the business in the corner of my bedroom, then was able to move to a small office building and eventually hired on a staff. I'm always looking for work and it's been very tough of late, I'm still looking for a decent, long term contract for myself.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 8

Good question. How does someone know the demand for a service like the one you could provide. If you aren't working it's a no-brainer... do it!.... If you are working, with anything there is risk, if you don't already have relationships and contacts who need the services you can provide, don't risk your job, and burden yourself more. Focus on doing well where you are at.

Just my thoughts.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 4 of 8

I branched out on my own once I realized I could 1.) Give myself a nice increase and 2. ) Save my clients a ton of money at the same time. I've always been a contractor, since 1984 to be exact. It wasn't long until I relaized the "job shop" was making a killing on my services along with most other contractors. At one point it got to be such a burden to the client, they couldn't afford to keep the contractors and were shopping around for less costly options. I talked to the manager at my exit meeting and he was torn up that he was losing my talents (along with the other contractors talents) and he explained in full detail what was going on. The contract house we were all there thru was charging the client almost 4 times the rate I was grossing. That's when it dawned on me that I could give myself about a $10 an hour increase, put aside another 35-40% for taxes, workman's comp, etc. and still save the client about $20 an hour on the billing rate.

I don't need to make a million overnight and I sure don't have anywhere near the overhead these large contract houses do. I pay all my employees on 1099's since they all have their own business licenses already (I actually work within a network of area small to medium contract houses. We all have our specific strengths and we draw from those as needed. Basically we are businesses that help support our other businesses as opposed to competing against them).

A typical contract house with a decent amount of overhead will charge into the 100's per hour for my abilities, I charge no where near that and I don't need to. I've even cut my rates by 25% three years ago due to the poor economy and they have stayed at that rate since and it's still tough to find the work these days.

I'm finding a ton of places that are offering salaries that were common back in the late 80's, early 90's. The positions have been on the market now for almost a year and unless they find someone desperate, I feel it'll stay that way. And even if they did find someone to take that rate, what do you think will happen when the economy picks up and the person finds a decent salary....he'll be gone in a heartbeat. You get what you pay for, plain and simple.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 5 of 8

@CelticDesignServices wrote:

I'm finding a ton of places that are offering salaries that were common back in the late 80's, early 90's. The positions have been on the market now for almost a year and unless they find someone desperate, I feel it'll stay that way. And even if they did find someone to take that rate, what do you think will happen when the economy picks up and the person finds a decent salary....he'll be gone in a heartbeat. You get what you pay for, plain and simple.

Indeed! One of the AUGI polls last year noted that, of the 51% of people looking for work, only 17% of them are doing it because they're unemployed, the rest are looking to escape their current employer.

44% of those employed people looking for work say that being underpaid is a factor (the single biggest reason, though closely followed by lack of opportunity for advacement).

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 6 of 8

So true Melanie,

2 yrs ago I applied for a CAD Management job in MA, an area for which I am very familiar with as far as cost of living, etc. They were looking for a manager of the CAD Design dept of about 15 people, at the same time the person had to be the CAD Admin as well. Now, that's nothing new, I was already doing just that. But a lot of the work and responsibilities the job also entailed were things that my boss was doing as his job. So this would have been a promotion of sorts as far as responsibilties and duties.

I was on the west coast at that time, but like I said, I know MA and the general New England area very well. MA is not a cheap place to live by any stretch.

I got the interview and was told the going rate (less than 1/2 of what I was currently making). Let me just say, a single person would have a tough time making ends meet up there on the salary. Now, here we are 2 yrs later and guess what? That job is still being posted on Monster.com. I followed up and pointed out they needed to up the rate for me to consider itas they are still very interested in hiring me. But being a single father of 2, there's just no way I can afford it. I would be going back in salary by some 20+ yrs.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 7 of 8

That's the story of my life, Jim (or at least, the story of my professional career). A few companies have expressed keen interest in my unique experience. Then we talk about pay... I just have to incredulously point out that they're never going to get someone with all of the skills they want at the price they're offering.

The sad thing is, how few people know their value instead of just accepting their company's value.

That's why I take the time to do the Salary Survey every year. Every time I tell someone with 5 years of experience that they're being paid less than most recent graduates, they've managed to find better opportunities. And, believe me, every high school and college intern that sits with me also gets a copy.

Of course, that said, I do know that, in recent years, people have had to be much less picky due to the dearth of jobs, but, I hope that's turning around. My husband had to become the stay at home parent because he couldn't find designer work around here to justify the cost of daycare and another car. He's been doing html and probably won't go back into the AEC industry when our littlest gets to preschool, as it just doesn't make sense financially.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 8 of 8

Company I work for in Vegas is seeking a CAD manager but experience in the civil engineering industry is required. Know of anyone please let me know.

Thanks!

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report