Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using SOFTPLAN versus AUTOCAD advice

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ckrtom
2087 Views, 8 Replies

using SOFTPLAN versus AUTOCAD advice

MY FIRM RECENTLY HIRED SOMEONE WHO IS A GREAT SOFTPLAN DEVOTEE SO MY FIRM BOUGHT THE PROGRAM AND EXPECTS ME TO CHANGE OVER AND LEARN AND INSTITUTE SOFTPLAN. (waaaah) I DON'T LIKE IT AND AM HAPPY WITH AUTOCAD. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST HOW I SAVE FACE? IS IT CRAZY FOR US TO BE USING 2 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS IN A SMALL FIRM? ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS APPRECIATED
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ckrtom

Stop YELLING! "ckrtom" wrote in message news:13459883.1096584510184.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > MY FIRM RECENTLY HIRED SOMEONE WHO IS A GREAT SOFTPLAN DEVOTEE SO MY FIRM BOUGHT THE PROGRAM AND EXPECTS ME TO CHANGE OVER AND LEARN AND INSTITUTE SOFTPLAN. (waaaah) I DON'T LIKE IT AND AM HAPPY WITH AUTOCAD. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST HOW I SAVE FACE? IS IT CRAZY FOR US TO BE USING 2 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS IN A SMALL FIRM? ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS APPRECIATED
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Has there been any discussion on why the implementation of softplan? What would the company/employees hope to gain out of using softplan? Will you pick up additional work, etc? What is the industry standard platform in your area? I could see being bi-cadual if your clients required multiple platforms. Do you have clients that would require AutoCAD, and other clients that would require Softplan? Do you use drawings from other companies, and do they use yours? How many people in your company currently use AutoCAD? Are you using AutoCAD for architectural purposes? Are you using ADT? If just AutoCAD, I would guess softplan may have an advantage. If you are using ADT, how does this compare to Softplan? (you have probably guessed, I have not used Softplan before). There are a number of items to consider when implementing multiple platforms (training, future of development, compatibility with co-companies). Being familiar in multiple platforms is a good thing, but how often would you be using softplan over AutoCAD/adt? The questions go on and on, and should really be discussed in a pros/cons & cost format. Bruce "ckrtom" wrote in message news:13459883.1096584510184.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > MY FIRM RECENTLY HIRED SOMEONE WHO IS A GREAT SOFTPLAN DEVOTEE SO MY FIRM BOUGHT THE PROGRAM AND EXPECTS ME TO CHANGE OVER AND LEARN AND INSTITUTE SOFTPLAN. (waaaah) I DON'T LIKE IT AND AM HAPPY WITH AUTOCAD. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST HOW I SAVE FACE? IS IT CRAZY FOR US TO BE USING 2 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS IN A SMALL FIRM? ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS APPRECIATED
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Assuming you are not talking about the light version of that program, compared to plain AutoCAD, softplan is one heck of an architectural package, fully and tightly integrated etc. Bet the discussion would have never come up if you were on ADT or REVIT: plain autocad just can't compare to these two either. Is it too late to also evaluate REVIT or ADT? Your main argument would be not to lose your dwg investment. Unless the new person is also 'golden-child', then you might as well just bang your head on the table until all autocad knowledge drops off ;) -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Looks like they don't much care what you think. Better learn softplan or take a hike. It's not even close to being a useless piece of software, by the way
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

ckrtom typed the following message: > MY FIRM RECENTLY HIRED SOMEONE WHO IS A GREAT SOFTPLAN DEVOTEE SO MY > FIRM BOUGHT THE PROGRAM AND EXPECTS ME TO CHANGE OVER AND LEARN AND > INSTITUTE SOFTPLAN. (waaaah) I DON'T LIKE IT AND AM HAPPY WITH > AUTOCAD. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST HOW I SAVE FACE? IS IT CRAZY FOR US TO BE > USING 2 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS IN A SMALL FIRM? ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS > APPRECIATED Coming from experience with softplan, can't remember what version, it was a pretty powerful program. like the others are saying, if your using plain cad, Softplan will kick it all over the place. It's much like ADT, your drawings walls, not lines, elevations are done very quickly vs having to draw them by hand, the roof plan is done with ease, where in cad you have to draw it like everything else. DOn't shut your doors on it, just look at all your options. 2 programs are not the answer. You need to deside what program you are going to use and stick with it. -- Keith
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the input--
Yes, they apparently don't care much what I think--
I like Autocad better because I am a "creative" type from architecture school; I LIKE drawing the elevations, roofs, etc; it's like solving a puzzle sometimes, it makes my job more interesting and I feel I have more control (graphic--lineweights,etc.--control, eg.)w/ Autocad. To me, SOFTPLAN, is for CAD monkeys--I am a 'thinking' man and like a 'thinking' man's CAD program...This new guy sold the program to the boss by saying it is so much QUICKER...so now all the background stuff I set up for AUTOCAD was for naught--and I set up some pretty sophisticated stuff (title blocks/blocks/viewports/etc.) We are a small office with just a couple drafters...I feel clumsy working a new program and I wasn't that impressed with their training/textbooks...Any other thoughts? Thank you.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

"markaschuster" wrote in message news:13000938.1097591750127.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks for the input-- > Yes, they apparently don't care much what I think-- > I like Autocad better because I am a "creative" type from architecture school; I LIKE drawing the elevations, roofs, etc; it's like solving a puzzle sometimes, it makes my job more interesting and I feel I have more control (graphic--lineweights,etc.--control, eg.)w/ Autocad. To me, SOFTPLAN, is for CAD monkeys--I am a 'thinking' man and like a 'thinking' man's CAD program...This new guy sold the program to the boss by saying it is so much QUICKER...so now all the background stuff I set up for AUTOCAD was for naught--and I set up some pretty sophisticated stuff (title blocks/blocks/viewports/etc.) We are a small office with just a couple drafters...I feel clumsy working a new program and I wasn't that impressed with their training/textbooks...Any other thoughts? Thank you. I understand how do you feel.... -What is your position there? -Is there one project made already 100% with this new software? -What are saying your consultants, are they accepting this too? -Comparing the time frame for a project before, was your office profitable? -Did you made an analysis on how this new software will do as soon will be implemented 100% It is always hard to accept new technology and become an adept to it... maybe is time to look around, you will always find something. Good luck!
Message 9 of 9
ckrtom

Re: using SOFTPLAN versus AUTOCAD advice
Thanks for the input--
Yes, they apparently don't care much what I think--
I like Autocad better because I am a "creative" type from architecture school; I LIKE drawing the elevations, roofs, etc; it's like solving a puzzle sometimes, it makes my job more interesting and I feel I have more control (graphic--lineweights,etc.--control, eg.)w/ Autocad. To me, SOFTPLAN, is for CAD monkeys--I am a 'thinking' man and like a 'thinking' man's CAD program...This new guy sold the program to the boss by saying it is so much QUICKER...so now all the background stuff I set up for AUTOCAD was for naught--and I set up some pretty sophisticated stuff (title blocks/blocks/viewports/etc.) We are a small office with just a couple drafters...I feel clumsy working a new program and I wasn't that impressed with their training/textbooks...Any other thoughts? Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report