Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
316 Views, 15 Replies

tool palette update

When I update a shared tool palette, in the content browser, I usually put it in the order I want them to show up at. But when I refresh palettes, they just go to the bottom.

How do I save the orders. so that when I add tools the palette refreshes to the location order I set it at?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In the past I have resorted to editing the xml files (AcTpCatalog.atc) for
the tool palettes to keep them in the correct order.

Lhudson <> wrote in news:5816065@discussion.autodesk.com:

> When I update a shared tool palette, in the content browser, I usually
> put it in the order I want them to show up at. But when I refresh
> palettes, they just go to the bottom.
>
> How do I save the orders. so that when I add tools the palette
> refreshes to the location order I set it at?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

what program to you edit that file with
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Probably "XML notepad 2007" search for it on the internet.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

I downlaoded that, and it does not seem like u can move things around with that program
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

actually it looks like the tools are in the right order on the server in the file when opening up the xml..
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

I use regular notepad to edit xml files, but there are programs that are
easier to use. I can't tell you much more if your palette items are
organized correctly already in the atc file.

Lhudson <> wrote in news:5816220@discussion.autodesk.com:

> actually it looks like the tools are in the right order on the server
> in the file when opening up the xml..
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

if the file is a atc file, how are you editing xml files for the catalog?
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

atc is just the extension used, it is actually based on the xml file
format.

Lhudson <> wrote in news:5816443@discussion.autodesk.com:

> if the file is a atc file, how are you editing xml files for the catalog?
>
Message 10 of 16
cordination

Tool palettes. My nightmare.
Great tool, but to path and show them neatly in a network environment, it's labour-intensive.

The ATC XML files keep what's in the palettes; can be local, can be on the network.That file has only the entries, not the order. The order is in the AWS profile file that is stored locally. (C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\Profiles\). There's a different AWS file for each profile. Hope your company only uses one;-) Check the ATC for the item names, and then put the entries in the AWS file in the right order. I think that's the concept that I would need to do to show them in the right order.
Another keypoint: If the tool palettes are imported from the network to a local user; they are always assigned different XML code names.
I am still playing with it, but for now I came to the conclusion that the next thing I try is re-building the tool palettes from scratch - in exactly the right order, top to bottom. It doesn't sound very smart. Though, I estimate, it's the easiest for me now. And then I hope, I never need to modify the certain palette ever again;-)
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Sounds like alot of work, how can I tell if my company only uses one, AWS... I mean I created the catalog on the server.

I thought I solved this issue by removing everything from each palette on the content browser, and deleting all the images out of that directory. then just re adding everything.

I did that and refreshed my tool palette set on my drive, and everything came back in the correct order, but then I went to another workstation and tried it, but the new things just defaulted to the bottom of hers, I don;t know how, it would seem that that should not have been possible. but ACA works in funny ways.
Message 12 of 16
cordination

How many profiles do you have in AutoCAD > Options> Profile tab? Do people create their own, or is your company very organized and has only one?

Under Options > File, under Tool Palette File Path, you can specify network or local resources.
If you have your tool palette on the network, everyone has the same catalog (ATC), but the local AWS needs to be modified to reflect the right order.
I improted them from the network so they have the right order, but it's hard to update them. Fo rnow, I need to run from computer to computer and delete the old one, reimport the updated network one.
Now everyone has different ATC files so modifying the AWS is way beyond scope.
There are many ways, hopefully better ones, around to deal with palettes. They even work different in AutoCAD Architecture. Key is to understand where the order settings are defined, and then to figure out what's best for you.
Is this is all confusing to you, it's too me too. ...still looking for the best , easiest amd least time-consuming way to maintain them. Or it's me explaining it badly....
Message 13 of 16
rdswords

So far as I know, tools will display in the order that you add them to a palette, end of story.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

yes order as in when you placed it, not where you placed it
Message 15 of 16
rdswords

Yes, that is what I meant. I didn't realize how unclear my statement was at the time.
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Yea that sucks, though cuz it should be the other way around, if we place it in the content broswer... cuz when you section things off on one palette, it needs to be in with its groups, esp if you divide them with separators.

I guess Autodesk is looking at all these things and plan on fixing it in '09. Hopefully 09 is not a major change from 08 so its easy to upgrade users

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report