Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

qsave Unable to transmit selected drawing file.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
pcaruthers
1620 Views, 9 Replies

qsave Unable to transmit selected drawing file.

I've done several searches regarding this with much luck....I find it hard to believe this is an uncommon practice....  Normally I like to store back up files on the users hard drive and not in the project folder on the Server.  I have done this at most companies I've worked for,  but I have never received this msg before.... The files do get save to the new location, but this msg appears.  Admittedly Its been several years that I've been out of the "game", So if this is a redundant question I apologize.

Currently running Architecture 09.

Paul Caruthers

Architectural Concepts

Paul Caruthers
Architectural Concepts, Inc.
Largo, FL
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: pcaruthers

Sounds like something else is going on: test it out by using another AutoCAD or Windows profile first.

Message 3 of 10
AllenJessup

If you're using MoveBak possibly this.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
pcaruthers

I knew I could count on you Dean.  Glad to see you are still around, you have always been very helpful in the past...

Anyway, I have tried this on several workstation and different profiles.  At first I thought it may be the 2009 vs windows 07 issue, but it also happens on my workstation (which is still running XP).  I've checked to ensure the user set up is for full admin rights .... I'm at a loss on

Paul Caruthers
Largo, FL
Message 5 of 10
pcaruthers
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen, you are correct.  I have used the express tool to move the files.....which is how I've done it in the past.  But have never received that msg prior to this...

Paul Caruthers
Largo, FL
Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup

Hi Paul, good to see you back. I don't use MoveBak, I do it differently, so I can't say. But  I found that link and four others that said basically the same thing. So I thought it was a good guess.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
pcaruthers

Thanks Allen, It's good to be back 🙂

My I ask how you do this?

Paul Caruthers
Largo, FL
Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

Well.......  For one thing. I'm not concerned with server space. That's IT. An old fight that I wont go in to. What I want is to make sure I have backups on the hard drives. So I path the temp files to their own directory and deny the "System" rights to erase files. So none of my temp files go away even if the program closed correctly. I use Civil 3D and having multiple backups can save a lot of time in the event of something going sour and not being noticed for a while.

Of course that means more work for me. I have to go in to the temp file every couple of weeks and clean them up manually. After about 6 months I write all the files that are left on to DVD and start fresh.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
pcaruthers

I do that with the Autosave...never considered the temp files, but thats a good idea... so do have you turned of the .bak files completely? or do you still have those in your drawing location?  For better or worse...IT is a a dual hat that I wear... but, storage is not the only concern....but it is one of them.   I just don't like seeing all those files in the project folder. 🙂

Paul Caruthers
Largo, FL
Message 10 of 10
AllenJessup

I send Autosave and temp files to the same folder. BAK files are still created with the DWG files. But they only go one save back. If I've missed something that breakes a Civil 3D object and save over a good file. Without incremental backups it could be bad. For some reason I also get BAK files of the Autosave files. Allen ----------------------------------------------------------------- This email, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email immediately.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report