Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network deploy on replicated servers

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
CADmgrMike
590 Views, 1 Reply

network deploy on replicated servers

We have 5 offices and our CAD resource folders are replicated from the main server to the other 4. All use the same drive letter but different server names. I'm trying to figure out the best way to create network deploys and get it to work for all offices.

Previously I would create the deploy on the main server and let it replicate to the other 4. Then I would create a copy of all the deploy files with the main server name and rename them to the individual office server name. When those file were replicated to each office, I could then install the software using the deploy with the correct name.

that worked pretty well with C3D, but when we went to a Suite, it became more difficult and I've had issues with it working correctly.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: CADmgrMike

It still should work the same way as before, just more difficult, as you have described. 

Just thinking out loud, what if you just created a dummy UNC pathname and then modified the DNS (or more likely the hosts file) at each location to then resolve that dummy servername back to the correct local IP location?  That way one replicated deploy would work locally everywhere.

UNC path the for the deploy:

\\FAKESERVERNAME\SHARE

Individual (4) HOSTS file entries:

192.168.1.100     FAKESERVERNAME  REALSERVERNAME

192.168.2.100     FAKESERVERNAME  REALSERVERNAME

192.168.3.100     FAKESERVERNAME  REALSERVERNAME

192.168.4.100     FAKESERVERNAME  REALSERVERNAME

That way each subnet's individial hosts would resolve the fake UNC to its real local path.  In theory this should work.

Hmm...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report