Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window 7 and New CAD software implimentation Best Practice.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mdhutchinson
482 Views, 2 Replies

Window 7 and New CAD software implimentation Best Practice.

In preparation for Autodesk new software roll-out moving from 2011 to 2012 - AutoCAD MEP, NavisWorks, multiple 3rd part applications, bluebeam, object enablers, etc, etc...

I wonder what the opinion is in regards to doing a Disk Cleanup, cleanout of Windows Temp folder & Defragmentation after several dozen pieces of software are un-installed? I know that Windows 7 does defrag by default behind the scene... and that Windows 7 does nothing with segments 64 MB and larger... but after a mass software un-install, I believe that a defrag Should be ran prior to the new installation. However, I am having a difficult time convincing our IT department that this should be done.

What do you think... Should a defrag be done?

Anyone have any documentation that is in support of doing defrag in this case?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: mdhutchinson

If your IT is not comfortable defragging your drive every time you want it, I would suggest you accept their suggestions: they are after all "in charge" of your equipment, not you. I defrag occasionally, but it's nothing I do regularly or ever did and it honestly makes no real world difference to the aqverage user's PC experience.

I suspect they may already implement a TEMP folder cleanup regularly (most good IT departments do): ask them about their approach and what they do for you. Ask, consult, and work with your IT: seeking outside " I told you so" advise may only alienate your relationship with your IT department.

Message 3 of 3
jggerth1
in reply to: pendean

I'll go along with dean on this one.  current Win7 & NTFS is not DOS & FAT 16, and disk fragmentation is much less of an issue than it was back when.  Unless you have truly tiny disks, and habitually run at 10% or less free space, defragging the drive does not make an observable difference in my personalk experience.  Doing a defrag would not hurt aything, other than IT's schedule, but it won't help either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report