Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
douglasjmeyer
494 Views, 7 Replies

Save Dialog Box

OK, this is most likely a simple one and I have looked in the so called search engine but did not find anything.
Anyway i have a user on this end that has somehow managed (between Him and the "IT" guys) to lose the dialog box on all save command no matter where they are launched from. The same holds true for the open command. The only thing he gets is the command line text.
Now the other part of this is that when he first launches AutoCAD he gets the first open dialog box when it asks what drawing to open with, but anything other then that and no joy.
We are using ADT 2006 by the way.
Anyway I have no idea what the problem is and he and the IT guy claim they did nothing to cause this, and as far as I have been informed nothing has changed on the pc as far as software goes but I can promise this.
Any ideas would be a big help, right now it is almost as if he can not use cad as opening the drawings and saving them is a pain.
Doug M
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: douglasjmeyer

DouglasJMeyer wrote:
> OK, this is most likely a simple one and I have looked in the so called search engine but did not find anything.
> Anyway i have a user on this end that has somehow managed (between Him and the "IT" guys) to lose the dialog box on all save command no matter where they are launched from. The same holds true for the open command. The only thing he gets is the command line text.
> Now the other part of this is that when he first launches AutoCAD he gets the first open dialog box when it asks what drawing to open with, but anything other then that and no joy.
> We are using ADT 2006 by the way.
> Anyway I have no idea what the problem is and he and the IT guy claim they did nothing to cause this, and as far as I have been informed nothing has changed on the pc as far as software goes but I can promise this.
> Any ideas would be a big help, right now it is almost as if he can not use cad as opening the drawings and saving them is a pain.
> Doug M
FILEDIA = 1
ALSO CHECK CMDDIA = 1
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Type FILEDIA at the command line and set it to 1.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

as the other guys have given the solution (while this might be hard to
find from the Help file, a google search for something like 'missing
open dialog in autocad' would give plenty of returns), you're likely
curious about the cause?

In my experience, this behaviour is caused by one of two things...

1. a crash.
2. an improperly written routine (if you're scripting something to
open/run on dozens of files, the open dialog is suppressed so that it
can be used programmatically instead of requiring user input... the
improper part is that they don't reset the variable at the end of the
routine)

Cheers.

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

DouglasJMeyer wrote:
> OK, this is most likely a simple one and I have looked in the so called search engine but did not find anything.
> Anyway i have a user on this end that has somehow managed (between Him and the "IT" guys) to lose the dialog box on all save command no matter where they are launched from. The same holds true for the open command. The only thing he gets is the command line text.
> Now the other part of this is that when he first launches AutoCAD he gets the first open dialog box when it asks what drawing to open with, but anything other then that and no joy.
> We are using ADT 2006 by the way.
> Anyway I have no idea what the problem is and he and the IT guy claim they did nothing to cause this, and as far as I have been informed nothing has changed on the pc as far as software goes but I can promise this.
> Any ideas would be a big help, right now it is almost as if he can not use cad as opening the drawings and saving them is a pain.
> Doug M
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:38:11 +0000, DouglasJMeyer <> wrote:

>Any ideas would be a big help, right now it is almost as if he can not use cad as opening the drawings and saving them is a pain.

Besides the other possible solutions, are you working on a dual-monitor display?

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 6 of 8

Yes yes he is, but then again, so am I.
I take it this means something?
I have not had a chance yet to try the other ideas, but I will do that first think in the morning.
Thanks for all the ideas and I will let you know how it turns out.
Doug
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:39:16 +0000, DouglasJMeyer <> wrote:

>Yes yes he is, but then again, so am I.
>I take it this means something?
>I have not had a chance yet to try the other ideas, but I will do that first think in the morning.
>Thanks for all the ideas and I will let you know how it turns out.

The issue that I've seen is that, on dual monitor displays, AutoCAD cannot
always handle window coordinates effectively, particularly if they are
"negative" comared to the main window - e.g., you have AutoCAD on the right
monitor and the Open/Save dialog on the left.

ACAD holds the coordinates of the windows in the Registry (specifically, under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\
\\Profiles\\Dialogs). For each dialog, there is
an X and Y value whose data specifies where onscreen the dialog box is, where
the upper left hand corner of the ACAD window is 0,0.

When ACAD gets confused about where a dialog box is, it will insert wacky
positive huge numbers for X/Y which will put your Open Save dialog roughly 5
states over.

With ACAD closerd, use REGEDIT to scan these Dialog entries (the Open/Save
dialog is named "Save Drawing As") and see if you see any X/Y values that are
WAY off the charts, and change them to 0/0. When you start ACAD, the dialog will
be at the top left corner of the AutoCAD window.

To keep yourself out of trouble, you need to follow some good multimonitor
habits. In the video driver, identify the displays and put Monitor #1 on the
left, and monitor #2 on the right. Keep AutoCAD's window on the left and put any
UI elements on the right monitor. Some video drivers allow you to specify not to
open subwindows on displays other than the primary application window.

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 8 of 8
sgoodmansen

Ther is an easier way to fix this. After initiating the dialog box press alt spacebar, then press m. this will move it back into view with the arrow keys or mouse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report