Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
rwinokur
1156 Views, 8 Replies

Plotters

Our HP1050c has finally gone out of calibration.  We use a lot of full size plots for our architectural millowrk shop to build on top of.  Dealer has recommendded the Canon ipf750.  Anyone have experience with this plotter?  Other model suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: rwinokur

How much do you want to spend (provide a maximum $ amount, not just a generalization)?

What is your weekly output in paper? paper size most often used?

Message 3 of 9
rwinokur
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

Dont want to spend over 4K

We plot on 36" wide paper. This will only be used for full size plots. Ouput varies but maybe we go through 1 300' roll per month but can be 1 roll in a week during very busy times.  The crucial thing for us is accuracy.  +/- 1/16" over 20'.  

thanks for your reply

Message 4 of 9
johnq

Hi

I  have somespare ime and I am crusing around the forums.  Normally I am on the AC Electrical.

My answer is a bit late but it may help someone in the future.

It is a while since I fixed the HP1050.  Majic machine.   Your problem can be fixed if HP is still supporting them. 

Dealers that have all brands on the shelf will push the brand they are getting the best discount that month.

Buy 10 get one free.   I could not compete with the big boys.   Many were selling below my buy price. That is why I am now a CAD person.

Cheers  John Q oz

Message 5 of 9
rkmcswain

@rwinokur wrote:

The crucial thing for us is accuracy.  +/- 1/16" over 20'.  

Wow. Were you getting that by accident with the 1050C ?

That is ±0.025% accuracy.

Don't most printers claim accuracy to ±0.1% ?

We like accurate prints, but 0.05" over 36" is OK here. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 9
rwinokur
in reply to: rkmcswain

When we do full size plots to use as templates on the shop floor, we do need the accuracy. For standard shops or arch. Drawings we do not.

Ritch Winokur
Engineering Manager
Mark Richey Woodworking
www.markrichey.com

40 Parker Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
Main Tel: 978.499.3800
Fax: 978.499.3840

P Please consider the environment
before printing this e-mail
Message 7 of 9
rkmcswain

@rwinokur wrote:
When we do full size plots to use as templates on the shop floor, we do need the accuracy. 

For that, yes I could see it. !

We draw virtually nothing larger than 1"=10', and expect contractors to read the printed dimensions, not scale off the paper.  🙂

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 9
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

Shop floors have different requirements: but I agree with you, there was no way that tolerance was achievable with the 1050c inkjet wet ink on dry paper output, I suspect it just never really was an issue /accident and they never noticed a flaw.
Message 9 of 9
rwinokur
in reply to: pendean

We would have to re-calibrate the plotter through AutoCAD periodically.
Update: We ending up buying the HPT7100 which was fast and accurate but a nightmare with problems; jams mostly. We went through 2 of them (first one replaced by HP, second one returned) and had the same trouble with both. Went back to original suggestion and now have a the Cannon ipf765 and just printed a 216" plot that was within a 1/16". Depending on the weather, the plots can grow or shrink a bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report