CAD Managers

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 11 of 19 (867 Views)

Re: Painfully slow network speeds

09-04-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: bigmaz

I recommend then that you take the 70% faster approach and work local.  Implement Vault for server data storage and be done with it.  You should be working locally anyway instead of opening files across network latency.  Problem solved.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Distinguished Contributor
bigmaz
Message 12 of 19 (866 Views)

09-04-2012 01:32 PM in reply to: bigmaz
Never tried using vault with civil 3d, can you keep all your data shortcuts on there and share them? Will look into that tomorow when in the office. Cheers
bigmaz
Message 13 of 19 (863 Views)

09-04-2012 01:38 PM in reply to: bigmaz
"is this server a local server or is it a remote server thats located at another office from where you are at?"

It is a local server, which makes it so weird that it is going so slow. Wonder if a badly setup network can bottleneck the speed
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 14 of 19 (859 Views)

09-04-2012 01:43 PM in reply to: bigmaz
bigmaz
Message 15 of 19 (854 Views)

09-04-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: bigmaz
Cheers travis. Not sure how the company stands with regards to vault use. I will enquire tomorow.
*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 16 of 19 (852 Views)

09-04-2012 01:50 PM in reply to: bigmaz

vault may or may not solve your problem you still have to download the file to your local computer from the server

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 17 of 19 (848 Views)

09-04-2012 01:53 PM in reply to: DarrenP

True, but downloading once and working local until you're ready to upload the final details is a lot better than opening and saving across the network constantly.  Plus downloading and opening locally is somewhat faster than opening remotely.  Not to mention the perception factor of the user not really counting the time of downloading the file locally.  Two minutes to open locally vs. seven over a network already seems way faster even if it take a few minutes to download it initially.  Perception is reality... and happier engineers.  :smileyvery-happy:

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
bigmaz
Message 18 of 19 (846 Views)

09-04-2012 01:54 PM in reply to: bigmaz
Yeah, thats what i was thinking darren. Still need to use the server. I'll try and get some figures from it 2moro regarding what speeds we are connected at.
Mentor
johnq
Message 19 of 19 (473 Views)

03-06-2013 06:50 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Hi all

This question has been asked elsewhere on the AutoDESK forum.  The average file size of an AutoCAD electrical drawing is relative large plus the .BAK file.

I have had experience with LAN traffic since Thick LAN.   The Compiled operating systems that I understand are quite different to PC operating systems.

A net work card in a Mini / Mainframe could TX&RX at the same time.  I do not know of a PC LAN card that has two Direct Memory Chanels that would enable this process to work.

A larger busy CAD departement should have its own server with two network cadrs.  One to connect to the rest of the office and one to a suitable dedicated HUB/ Switch for the CAD machines.

It is important to be able to cascade HUBS/Switches via their backplane.  NOT cascade via the front ethernet ports. This is usually done by a large multi pin connector mounted at the back.  These SW's cost a lot more than a 6 port HUB for home. 

The hub/SW backplane usually is a very fast BUS.

What I hope I am explaining is that a CAD departement of 6 seats can have more data flow than the rest of the Office of 20 MSoffice users.  In my case I save each electrical drawing before I change to the next drawing in the PROJECT.

Most IT folks lack considerable undersatanding of the needs of CAD.  IT folks are switched on by CPU speed and multi CPU's, we need swags of memory and CAD video cards NOT good gaming cards.

Three years ago a person from an AutoDESK agent admitted that there were not plans by AutoDESK to take advantage of the MULTI Thread processors comming on to the market.

If this has changed then I would like to know.   In my case with Autoelectrical when the memory fills ( the dark blue bar over taking the light blue bar) they ACE slows down and commands time out before they work.

FATAL ERRORS occur often when closing drawings.

A different point of view that I hope adds insight to CAD problems beside drawing

Cheers  john Q

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube