Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully slow network speeds

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
wilsonm2000
2037 Views, 25 Replies

Painfully slow network speeds

Hi

We are using Civil 3D in our office, only a few of us just now, but that will be expanding, and also people will start using Revit and other BIM software.  But already, we are struggling with our network speeds while using Civil 3D, we were moaning to management that our PC's, which were upgraded, still were not good enough.  But we done a test with one of our models that takes 7 and a half minutes to open on the network.  We moved the model and all its references to the C:, and then opened the drawing, it took just over 2 minutes.  Thats over 70% quicker than opening on the network.  I am just wondering if any other companies have had this issue, and what was done about it.  I work for a massive internatinal company, so its not just some small office.  The IT manager told us there is not much that can be done, as the servers were upgraded 2 years ago, and they are a very good spec.  Its worrying that we are having issues at this point when only a few people are using BIM, what is it going to be like when everyone is using it 😛

Was hoping someone could give feedback on this, or some advice.

Cheers

Martin

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
pendean
in reply to: wilsonm2000

You seem to be mixing up three different topics as one problem.

>>....our PC's, which were upgraded, still were not good enough...<<<

These have nothing to do with accessing speeds on a network, but you provide no info about them: what file sizes are you accessing and what are the CP specs?

>>>... the servers were upgraded 2 years ago...<<<

Again, not sure what these have to do with how fast you access your files: define "... they are a very good spec...." better if you want honest opinions. I suspect they are no the issue at all but you seem to want them to be.

>>>...over 70% quicker than opening on the network...<<<

This is where the problem is, but again, you furnish no details: what speed are you connected to the file server? How many of you?

If you want feedback you've got to provide details my friend: your post is, at best, an example of healthy venting not backed up by any useful information.

Message 3 of 26
wilsonm2000
in reply to: pendean

Not sure if you read my post correctly.  I know from the test we done, that it is not the PC specs that are slowing our drawings down, it is the network.  So I didnt see the need to post the spec of my PC.

I am not an IT expert, so I dont know all the server specs etc, this is what I was hoping I could get some input on here, what to look/ask for etc. 

"what speed are you connected to the file server?"  Ahhhh, something helpful, how do I check this?  And what kind of speeds are good speeds, so I can see if this is an issue?  Can I check the speed through my PC to see what speed I am connected to the file server?

Message 4 of 26
pendean

No one here can realistically give you any advise without knowing your exact setup and understanding where the choke points are, if there is any: most likely you need to be talking with I.T. for the info being sought about the systems.

As for the file sizes question and PC specs, you can answer these yourself.

My first post was loaded with questions.

Message 5 of 26
wilsonm2000
in reply to: pendean

"As for the file sizes question and PC specs, you can answer these yourself."

I was not asking for any advice about the PC specs or file sizes......

I came on here for some advice on what I could ask the IT dept so I can help see where the problem lies, I wouldnt know where to start.  If I had all that information, I would not be on here asking for advice.

Any chance any one else has some constructive feedback?  What things can I ask the IT guys about server speeds etc to see where the problem lies?  Or is there a way I can do a speed check on my PC to see how fast my connection to the server is?

Cheers 🙂

Message 6 of 26
dgorsman

Server problems usually require somebody to actually be at your computer, due to the enormous number of possible conditions and combinations thereof.

And Deans questions were good ones, BTW.  PC specs and file sizes *can* have an effect on your times e.g. unnecessarily large files on slow, RAM-starved computers could be a large part of the problem.  Its always a good starting point.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 26
wilsonm2000

Not sure why the pc thing keeps getting mentioned. In my OP I ruled the pc out as being too slow. The computer opens files fine when opening from the c: drive. That was the first thing i checked. And i thought i made it clear i was looking for advice on things to look for, not for a lecture on how my post was written.

Thanks for the input anyway guys.
Message 8 of 26
DarrenP

you can have your IT measure your bandwidth

how big are the files sizes?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 26
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

is this server a local server or is it a remote server thats located at another office from where you are at?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 26
pendean

The point is your post lacks all the information necessary for an opinion or recommendations: all this time you could have just posted the PC specs and ruled it out, but no, you've got to keep beating it LOL 🙂

Now go find out about your network and setup and connection speeds etc., we are all here asking the same questions over and over: if you can't or won't find out, please close this topic/posting as it is headed no where.

Message 11 of 26
TravisNave

I recommend then that you take the 70% faster approach and work local.  Implement Vault for server data storage and be done with it.  You should be working locally anyway instead of opening files across network latency.  Problem solved.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 12 of 26
wilsonm2000

Never tried using vault with civil 3d, can you keep all your data shortcuts on there and share them? Will look into that tomorow when in the office. Cheers
Message 13 of 26
wilsonm2000

"is this server a local server or is it a remote server thats located at another office from where you are at?"

It is a local server, which makes it so weird that it is going so slow. Wonder if a badly setup network can bottleneck the speed
Message 14 of 26
TravisNave

Message 15 of 26
wilsonm2000

Cheers travis. Not sure how the company stands with regards to vault use. I will enquire tomorow.
Message 16 of 26
DarrenP

vault may or may not solve your problem you still have to download the file to your local computer from the server

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 17 of 26
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

True, but downloading once and working local until you're ready to upload the final details is a lot better than opening and saving across the network constantly.  Plus downloading and opening locally is somewhat faster than opening remotely.  Not to mention the perception factor of the user not really counting the time of downloading the file locally.  Two minutes to open locally vs. seven over a network already seems way faster even if it take a few minutes to download it initially.  Perception is reality... and happier engineers.  Smiley Very Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 18 of 26
wilsonm2000

Yeah, thats what i was thinking darren. Still need to use the server. I'll try and get some figures from it 2moro regarding what speeds we are connected at.
Message 19 of 26
johnq
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi all

This question has been asked elsewhere on the AutoDESK forum.  The average file size of an AutoCAD electrical drawing is relative large plus the .BAK file.

I have had experience with LAN traffic since Thick LAN.   The Compiled operating systems that I understand are quite different to PC operating systems.

A net work card in a Mini / Mainframe could TX&RX at the same time.  I do not know of a PC LAN card that has two Direct Memory Chanels that would enable this process to work.

A larger busy CAD departement should have its own server with two network cadrs.  One to connect to the rest of the office and one to a suitable dedicated HUB/ Switch for the CAD machines.

It is important to be able to cascade HUBS/Switches via their backplane.  NOT cascade via the front ethernet ports. This is usually done by a large multi pin connector mounted at the back.  These SW's cost a lot more than a 6 port HUB for home. 

The hub/SW backplane usually is a very fast BUS.

What I hope I am explaining is that a CAD departement of 6 seats can have more data flow than the rest of the Office of 20 MSoffice users.  In my case I save each electrical drawing before I change to the next drawing in the PROJECT.

Most IT folks lack considerable undersatanding of the needs of CAD.  IT folks are switched on by CPU speed and multi CPU's, we need swags of memory and CAD video cards NOT good gaming cards.

Three years ago a person from an AutoDESK agent admitted that there were not plans by AutoDESK to take advantage of the MULTI Thread processors comming on to the market.

If this has changed then I would like to know.   In my case with Autoelectrical when the memory fills ( the dark blue bar over taking the light blue bar) they ACE slows down and commands time out before they work.

FATAL ERRORS occur often when closing drawings.

A different point of view that I hope adds insight to CAD problems beside drawing

Cheers  john Q

Message 20 of 26
dodgese2

I hope these articles help you , or your IT department.

Are you using a NAS (Network Attached Storage)?  or Linux....or Linux based NAS operating system?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autode...

also, Is your Internet proxy blockig any Autodesk servers??

Read this article.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

If you crash randomly -the same file with many data shortcuts and xrefs keeps crashing----

see if this Autodesk article can help.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Progra...

Also....see if this helps

Copy the file to your local drive.

open Civil3d to a new blank drawing.....go to toolspace >Prospector and under 'Data shortcuts' point to your Desktop. You should have a blank Data shortcuts path.

RECOVER and point to your problematic .dwg drawing in your local drive. Let me know if it's able to load quicker.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report