CAD Managers

*Dave Lewis
Message 1 of 32 (243 Views)

Old versions of AutoCAD

243 Views, 31 Replies
02-19-2004 10:13 AM
Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of autocad when you own current licenses? -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
*Andy Rollins
Message 2 of 32 (243 Views)

Re: Old versions of AutoCAD

02-19-2004 10:27 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
I *believe* that we're supposed to uninstall older versions if we install an 'upgrade' version. -- Andy Rollins CAD Manager Jones & Beach Engineers, Inc.
*R.K. McSwain
Message 3 of 32 (243 Views)

02-19-2004 11:33 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
An excerpt from the 2002 EULA: ------------------------------------ If this Software is labeled as an upgrade ("New Version") to software previously licensed to you ("Previous Version"), you must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies resident on your hard disk drive, and return the hardware lock, if any, which accompanied the software previously licensed to you (unless Autodesk explicitly notifies you that the hardware lock is to be used with the upgrade), within sixty (60) days of acquiring the New Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require you to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. ------------------------------------ So you have 60 days to destroy the version from which you upgraded. "Dave Lewis" wrote... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses?
*Allen Jessup
Message 4 of 32 (243 Views)

02-19-2004 12:10 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
About the Legalities of having an older version installed; check with your reseller. I believe autodesk recently revised it'd EULA to allow older version to be installed on the same machine as a newer one. As long as only one version is being used at a time. As far a getting older versions; I know of no legal way to purchase an obsolete version. Question: Why would you need an older version? 2004 will open any previous version's drawing. You can save back to 2000, use batch conversion to go back to 14 or save as a R12 DXF. If your dealing with anyone using something older than 12 leave them in the dust. I've never needed a previous version once we've fully committed to the next. Allen "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:t0v930hna9p1kudgac18ido00a6lc9nkdv@4ax.com... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses? > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!
*Dave Lewis
Message 5 of 32 (243 Views)

02-19-2004 06:23 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs to use it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the next 10 years :smileyhappy: I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we could buy the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly ever use it and it is not worth the money to upgrade. Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down $4000 to run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know what the previous sys admin did with them. "Allen Jessup" |>About the Legalities of having an older version installed; check with your |>reseller. I believe autodesk recently revised it'd EULA to allow older |>version to be installed on the same machine as a newer one. As long as only |>one version is being used at a time. |> |>As far a getting older versions; I know of no legal way to purchase an |>obsolete version. |> |>Question: Why would you need an older version? 2004 will open any previous |>version's drawing. You can save back to 2000, use batch conversion to go |>back to 14 or save as a R12 DXF. If your dealing with anyone using something |>older than 12 leave them in the dust. |> |>I've never needed a previous version once we've fully committed to the next. |> |>Allen |> |>"Dave Lewis" wrote in message |>news:t0v930hna9p1kudgac18ido00a6lc9nkdv@4ax.com... |>> Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 |>versions of autocad |>> sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the |>install disc so is there |>> a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal |>to have the old versions of |>> autocad when you own current licenses? |>> -------------------------- |>> Dave Lewis |>> CAD Manager |>> http://www.cadthinking.com |>> |>> Just say no to HTML Posts! |> -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
*Jason
Message 6 of 32 (243 Views)

02-20-2004 06:21 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
I love that part, "show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed." What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's being used as targets for skeet shooting. "R.K. McSwain" wrote in message news:40350ee0$1_3@newsprd01... An excerpt from the 2002 EULA: ------------------------------------ If this Software is labeled as an upgrade ("New Version") to software previously licensed to you ("Previous Version"), you must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies resident on your hard disk drive, and return the hardware lock, if any, which accompanied the software previously licensed to you (unless Autodesk explicitly notifies you that the hardware lock is to be used with the upgrade), within sixty (60) days of acquiring the New Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require you to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. ------------------------------------ So you have 60 days to destroy the version from which you upgraded. "Dave Lewis" wrote... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses?
Distinguished Contributor
old-cadaver
Message 7 of 32 (243 Views)

02-20-2004 09:12 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
>>What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's
being used as targets for skeet shooting. <<

Nope, the CD's with an extra hole or two will suffice.
*Ian A. White
Message 8 of 32 (243 Views)

02-20-2004 10:01 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:21:28 -0500, "Jason" wrote: >I love that part, "show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has >been destroyed." What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's >being used as targets for skeet shooting. In the days of the personalisation floppy, we had to send in a photocopy of a cut through original floppy with the upgrade order otherwise nothing would be sent out.
*Allen Jessup
Message 9 of 32 (243 Views)

02-20-2004 10:28 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
ww just cut the photocopy in half. "Ian A. White" wrote in message news:boic30tgu1rst8fajd1hjonij4fqaa10to@4ax.com... > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:21:28 -0500, "Jason" wrote: > In the days of the personalisation floppy, we had to send in a photocopy > of a cut through original floppy with the upgrade order otherwise > nothing would be sent out. >
*Allen Jessup
Message 10 of 32 (243 Views)

02-20-2004 10:34 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
I understand your problem. However, to my knowledge, there is no legal way to obtain replacements. Are you running Vanilla Autocad of LDT. If your on LDT 2004 trying to get it back to R14 in a usable state is going to be another issue even if you find your disks. Your Engineer will just have to break out his Slide Rule and check his drawing the old fashioned way. Or maybe if your on LDT it can be done in the newer version and he just doesn't know about it. Allen "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:nnra30tsdqqk0t1s0v2l12ulo8tqmdfumb@4ax.com... > An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs to use > it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the next 10 years :smileyhappy: > I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we could buy > the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly ever use it > and it is not worth the money to upgrade. > > Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down $4000 to > run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. > > My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know what the > previous sys admin did with them. >

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube