Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first CAD test: Was I too tough?

255 REPLIES 255
Message 1 of 256
Anonymous
3796 Views, 255 Replies

My first CAD test: Was I too tough?

all,

I've never given any prospective employee a "CAD Test," but I was asked to do so
today. I quickly came up with 20 questions which I figured any knowledgable
person who knows the program would be able to hit it out the park.

Instead, I got a serious case of deer-in-the-headlights-itis.

I didn't want to make it version specific, but I understand some questions would
not be answerable for someone running an older release, and gave the person a
pass in those cases.

I also didn't care if the questions were "useful" on a day to day basis; the
idea was to get an idea of how well the user knows AutoCAD.

So, I'll ask you guys: Was this a decent CAD questionnaire?

1. What are the names of the first 7 AutoCAD ACI colors?
1 =
2 =
3 =
4 =
5 =
6 =
7 =

2. What are System Variables? How are they used?

3. When dimensioning in Model space, what DIMSCALE value would you use for
dimensioning for a 3/16"=1'-0" plot?

4. When working with External References (Xrefs) what is the difference between
Overlay and Attach?

5. How would you specify a Viewport scale of 1/4"=1'-0" in a Paper Space
Viewport, using the Command Line?

6. What is a CUI file?

7. What is a fast method for selecting MText objects with a Style of "MEDIUM"?

8. What does the FROM osnap do?

9. What does Zoom Dynamic do?

10. What are the special rules concerning layers and colors in Blocks?

11. If you dimension two parallel walls and get a dimension of 14'-5 13/256",
what do you do?

12. What is one way of dimensioning something along an angle?

13. Explain the difference between the DIVIDE and MEASURE commands.

14. What does PSLTSCALE do?

15. What is an easy way to open an Xref from a parent file?

16. What is an easy way to close a Polyline?

17. What support file do you modify to create custom command aliases?

18. What is the command-line sequence you would use to change all Xref layer
colors to color #8 (gray)?

19. What does BATTMAN do?

20. What command do you use to change your default Plotter?

Extra Credit / Trick Questions:

1. During the MOVE command, what happens if you hit in response to the
"Specify second point or :" prompt?

2. What generally happens when you do a PERPendicular Osnap on a Spline curve?

I had some more trick questions, but since the first 20 didn't go so well, we
just called it a day at that point 😞

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
255 REPLIES 255
Message 241 of 256
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Very interesting!
Thanks I will look into it.
Thanks JerryL

"Gregory S. Lyons" wrote in message
news:5577939@discussion.autodesk.com...
Look into the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speedpad. It's made for gaming, but
I've just purchased on to replace my digitizer's 16-button puck (a long
story in another group). It may be what you're looking for.

~g

Jerry L wrote:
> First let me apologies for stepping into the middle of a conversation but
> this has sparked my interest.
>
> I have always used tool bars mainly because I can not type worth a crap
> and
> never will be able too. My question is if you use your mouse hand to key
> in
> commands isn't moving your hand from the mouse to the key board about the
> same amount of time it takes to just move the mouse to a tool?
>
> To be perfectly honest I don't think speed is all that important unless
> you
> are doing very repetitious tasks. I think that speed in cad drafting
> comes
> from doing things in the right order.
>
> If I could find a programmable key pad so I could program a couple of keys
> for feet and inches for my left hand, that would save me allot of time.
> Now
> I have to enter in distances using the numbers at the top then hit the
> feet
> or inches key.
> JerryL
Message 242 of 256
pcaruthers

Question 1. your are partially correct.
Move & Copy do not "Require" a base point, the command asks for a base point or displacement. Scale & Rotate DO require a base point. Fillet as you know does not, which is the answer I was looking for.

Questions 6. You are correct, Box is not. Crossing is.

direct from the help file:
"Window selection. Drag your cursor from left to right to select only objects that are entirely enclosed by the rectangular area.
Crossing selection. Drag your cursor from right to left to select objects that the rectangular window encloses or
crosses. "

"MT" is the default alias for Multiline text straight out of the box.

for questions 9 & 13: agian, great points. I'll fix that.

You are wrong however, I do seek out Constructive Criticism, and I do value the input of my peers. Although when it is simple bashing, I like many others, take it with a grain of salt. Your comments however this time around are much more defined and specific. As for some of your other comments, I've made some adjustments for several of them. However I do not agree with your array suggestion I believe that question is a perfect example.

I do thank you for your input. This time, it was constructive. Even if it did have a little attitude.

Thanks again.

Paul Caruthers Message was edited by: Paul Caruthers
Message 243 of 256
longleyje

At 241 replies, I did not read them all (some though). As well as some other Threads on similar subject matter.
If there is one caution, it is design a test that is based on "your" background. I am sure I would fail, yet I consider myself to be a fairly good CAD operated (<- note the generic reference)
My first experience was with VersaCAD 386, a single-letter, menu drivern system - NOT command line. I learning this I was taught such things as: Draw or extend a line, not multiple short line segments; look for oportunities to draw once, then mirror/copy about centerlines (for example); adhear to CAD standards.
After all, I was was using a 386, 20Mz, 4 HUGE meg of RAM - and eficencey of the database was as important as good drafting practices (CAD or Pencil-paper).
My first exposure to AutoCAD was R13. Quickly adopted and customixed the pgp file to, in many instances, to give one to two keystroke to frequently used command (often, where possible, to be similar to good loe VersaCAD). And, for me, from that background) menus and toolbars were 'access of choice'
I have learned many commands since, use them, but also fell 'fluid' with toolbars and menus. Can't tell you a long (maybe even a short) list of DIM varibles, but CAN create dimstyles as required - both for Standards and to suit one-off situations.
If I have to fweak a sysvar, often I do NOT know the name, but DO know what I need and am not long if finding such utilizing the System Varible Editor.

Somewhere, then there must be a balance between a top notch "AutoCAD" operator and (logical AND) a top notch CAD operator.

JimL
Message 244 of 256
Anonymous

Matt Stachoni wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:43:31 +0000, Tom Smith <> wrote:
>
>> My guess would be, fix the darn walls so they're the correct distance apart.
>
> DING DING DING DING DING!
>
> The person's answer was "I would change my dimension style's precision setting."
> Which sent the hair on the back of my neck curling.
>
> Matt
> mstachoni@comcast.net
> mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 245 of 256
Anonymous

These are all good questions but it depends on what you are looking for. An in depth knowledge of AutoCAD is certainly helpful... but what of speed and accuracy. I have taken a CAD test and I have given a CAD test. I think it is better to give a drawn and written test preferable than to ask some of the questions you asked your perspective employee. AutoCAD is a very big program and has lots of nuances. But speed and accuracy, should be tested as well as CAD knowledge. Interesting questions... the only one that stumped me was #8 and the FROM osnap... but then again... I use object tracking.
Message 246 of 256
dloughnane

Hi Everybody,

Well to head off on a complete tangent.
I've recently changed jobs, again!!
I've never been asked to complete a CAD test in my career. However in one of the interviews i did recently i was asked if i had brought a portfolio of my work!!
I just told the guy that apart from the fact that all the work i do is either copyright of the client or my employer there's no way to prove that i actually produced any of the drawings!!
In my last job all the attributes on the drawing sheets were filled in from a spreadsheet, my name appears on drawings i never even opened!!
So i think a practical test rather than a theory one may in some cases be more suitable. I'll admit that there are some of your questions i don't know the answer to and so far i survived without those answers!!

Just my two Euro cents!!

Damo.
Message 247 of 256
Anonymous

I think that this is altogether the wrong type of test for a cad person. I know what you're after but some things just seem confusing without the visual input. I have only ever had one cad test and I don't remember the questions but a lot of them were diagrammatic.
Message 248 of 256
michelette

I don't think it is a good test! I have been in Cad since 78, starting on mainframes - and since I had always used a tablet until the last few releases - I am not a big typer - I totally use the menus, etc. I have been a Cad Manager for 10 years- I have attached my test which I think is way more relative to the work at hand. If you want the answers let me know and I will send them.
Regards
Message 249 of 256
Anonymous

Although I am not a big fan of testing, this was a pretty good test. It is
general enough to be used thru several disiplines. (plus I knew all the
answers to this one!!!)

--
Larry

wrote in message news:5610785@discussion.autodesk.com...
I don't think it is a good test! I have been in Cad since 78, starting on
mainframes - and since I had always used a tablet until the last few
releases - I am not a big typer - I totally use the menus, etc. I have been
a Cad Manager for 10 years- I have attached my test which I think is way
more relative to the work at hand. If you want the answers let me know and
I will send them.
Regards
Message 250 of 256
BIMaster

could you send the answers to clark.morgan@macmiller.com ? I think you have a complete and thourough test. THanks!
Message 251 of 256
cadMeister

Lots of firms have spent years wondering what the 'best test', and many are moving away from administering an in-house CAD test and are using software called CADsmart (http://www.cadsmart.net) to test new hires - it's pretty neat in terms of testing the fundamental skills, and it's all automated.

It can be used to identify training needs in your current team too, rather than taking an expensive 'scatter-gun' approach.
Message 252 of 256
Anonymous

will it be possible to get your answers to this fab cad test. and do you
have a practical test I can nick of you too.
many thanks in advance.

Olu
please send reply to oaa7@tribalps.co.uk

wrote in message news:5610785@discussion.autodesk.com...
I don't think it is a good test! I have been in Cad since 78, starting on
mainframes - and since I had always used a tablet until the last few
releases - I am not a big typer - I totally use the menus, etc. I have been
a Cad Manager for 10 years- I have attached my test which I think is way
more relative to the work at hand. If you want the answers let me know and
I will send them.
Regards
Message 253 of 256
janetkissho

not bad at first 🙂

What is an easy way to open an Xref from a parent file?
What is an easy way to close a Polyline?
What support file do you modify to create custom command aliases?

these questions I liked the most here are also some more interesting ones

Message 254 of 256
Hammer.john.j

regarding autosaves:

they only delete if you have the permissions set on the folder they are created in set to permit them to be deleted 🙂

after i needed a few autosaves that autodesk decided i didn't need because cad closed as expected, i said ok, well we'll just change the permissions on that folder and solve that problem.

Smiley Surprised

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 255 of 256
tedwardspg
in reply to: jackshield

Why dont you sit them down at a CAD station with a DWG adn tell them they have 20 min to xref the ttbl.dwg and the back ground. then thell them you want them to insert a few blocks and do some drawing. If they get 1/2 to 3/4 done with what you want them to do and do it correctly have them come back for a secont interview. Being CAD smart and being able to answer some stupid questions that you want them to answer to see if they know enough to take your job is kinda backward if you ask me.

ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 256 of 256
evinne
in reply to: joeself

yes it is, it is too much...i worked on complex things ...but i tell you you must be really a knowledgeable freak to know all this... they are mostly not necessary to memorize for even complex projects with iLogic Parts... 

if you have a comfortable base when facing a specific problem you check for solution on a forum or in the help.. if you have a good understanding of the explanation how to do it (use of specific technical language,software language understanding)you must be able to solve most of the problems. 

I suggest recruiters, try a version of explaining the candidate how to do the test drawing( not necessary he has to do it the way you hint them but in case he has a blockage because of nervousness you can overcome it by giving them a way out ,in case of a draftsman interview) if they can grasp what you hint them then you see immediately that they know what you mean, or they might come up with an other solution meanwhile...  and knowledge is not lost in the air just because the candidate being too nervous about performing good in an interview. 

Example: create a part :a cylindrical part with certain diameter, 4 holes in it... create another part with d1, d2, d3 dimensions with a hole in it for the first cylindrical part created before.. arrange them in certain assembly . Explain a way how they could create the two sketches and how to assemble them in an assembly , using what way of constraining.

Ask them to create a drawing of the assembly , the 3 main views, a section and an isometric view... Adding a part list ( for intermediate candidate using the given dimensions in the sketch) they should be able to annotate the drawing too. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report