Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing AutoCAD profiles/support paths in the Cloud

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
ChrisMackayOpticad
437 Views, 0 Replies

Managing AutoCAD profiles/support paths in the Cloud

Ok,

Thought this might be a good forum to pick some peoples brains and start a discussion re. AutoCAD profile management in the cloud.  By profile management I basically mean setting common company file paths for support paths, customisation files, tool palette location, printer support files etc etc.  If you have any AutoCAD management experience at all you will know exactly what I am talking about.

I have recently worked with a couple a clients on a AutoCAD systems/standards overhaul.  As part of this I migrated all there common support paths to a cloud storage solution.  Namely dropbox and skydrive (one drive).  Bar working through a couple of cloud related nuances and occasional minor issues relating to file/folder paths to local (ie non cloud) windows app skydrive/dropbox folder, the whole process has been a huge success.

Both companies can very easily manage there standard content, tool palettes, printing configurations etc for all user regardless of the location of their office.  They can also very easily work remotely from the office on any laptop/pc and have all AutoCAD setting maintained.  And an added benefit is that it is very easy for me to externally manage their CAD systems.  I can even update a fair amount of there setup on my mobile phone when I am out for a mid-day stroll!  All great stuff as far as I am concerned!!!!

It certainly seem like a far more elegant way to achieve that goal than was required before such cloud solutions.

So my question is;  has anyone else been doing this sort of thing?  I have mentioned dropbox and skydrive, two very very simple solutions that, by and large work well for this.  I must admit I am a little put off (possibly wrongly) the Autodesk 360 because there just seems to features in there that complicate the process.  Being a minimalist this doesn't appeal to me.  And the Autodesk cloud stuff seems more geared around single users rather than enterprise/multi-user environments.  I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.  And what solutions might people see as viable for not just a companies AutoCAD support files etc, but everything else too..... ie migrating their entire server HD contents into the cloud.....

Chris

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report