Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 133
sbsaint
16795 Views, 132 Replies

I hate Revit

Ive been required to learn Revit, Ive been at it for 6 months now, I started on a trial version of 2009 then my company purchased 2010 and they changed so much in the two releases that I had to learn where everything was all over again, many for the worst. I find myself using other programs to model components in order to avoid the labourious and impractical procedures in Revit.

Using Revit to draft and model is like driving a car using a boatload of of push buttons rather than a steering wheel.

Ive been using 3D programs since 1995, starting with FormZ and have been using AutoCad since 2000. I think that Revit is a terrible modeler and a mediocre drafting tool. I admit that it does alot, but I have to jump through the hoops and mindset of a team of programmers who think this is the practical approach of what creating architecture should be, If this is a program that screams design, then Id rather go back to a leadholder and a Mayline. The program is NOT intuitive, and instead of me VISUALLY creating a building component with numerical parameters, Revit seems to operate in the reverse manner. Im constantly battling the Revit Gustapo dialog box that says something to the effect that my model is an illegal operation. Ever try to do a 2 path sweep? FormZ had this nailed 15 years ago, and I could easily draw any profile and the computer would do the calculations for me. Revit seems to make you work harder and not the other way around.

The interface sucks, edit parameter controls buried deep within two to three dialogue boxes. The steering wheel is a joke. Why would you make a virtual controller to replace something that your mouse already does? Its like going back to the time before they invented the joystick, and Im using the keyboard to play pac-man.

My bottom line, Revit is a chore to use, It doesnt think for you, it makes you do all the thinking. Its not fun to use at all, and it takes the wind out of your sails when trying to come up with concept designs, and has me scrambling to find a pencil. Edited by: sbsaint on Mar 24, 2010 10:53 PM
Tags (1)
132 REPLIES 132
Message 121 of 133
RobDraw
in reply to: dannett2B232

@dannett2B232 wrote:
I am not comparing these short comings to any other program. They exist in Revit alone.

How can they be shortcomings if there isn't something to compare to?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 122 of 133
dannett2B232
in reply to: RobDraw

RobDraw wrote:

If the task requires me to perform more steps than necessary, like the pdf naming conventions, then that is a shortcoming. The program has the capability to do it better, but doesn't.

In the case of editing schedules, at any other time I could hit CTRL+S and expect the program to save my work progress to the file. If the program does something else, which isn't even desirable, that is a shortcoming.

If a simple user request to add an equivalent of reference lines that won't plot o ta drafting view has been ignored for multiple releases despite the functionality already existing in the program in other workspace environments. That is a shortcoming.

It would not be the end of the world to permit a particular class of view, to be used on multiple sheets. I have a project that will be released to different sub contractors at different times. The standard details will remain the same over the project. What's more, if it does change in one place, it would also change in the other places. To not be able to have an identical detail on multiple sheets is a shortcoming (I will concede that Duplicate Dependent Views somewhat handle this task).

There is no user feedback during the undo process, I get a warning about every time I hold my tongue to the left when I should be going right, but zero feedback about step that was undone. That is a short coming.

No comparisons are needed. But if you would like to do so, I am sure you will find many programs that have many of these tasks covered without needing to mention the A word.

Message 123 of 133
dannett2B232

And you know what? If I could TAB select in AutoCAD, wouldn't that be a nice new feature!

Message 124 of 133
RobDraw

@dannett2B232 wrote:

@RobDraw wrote:

No comparisons are needed.

You really don't get it. You can't say something is inadequate if you don't have anything to compare it to.

BTW, your PDF "issue" is not a Revit problem. Revit, by itself cannot even make PDFs.

Rob

Message 125 of 133
dannett2B232

@RobDraw wrote:

@dannett2B232 wrote:

@RobDraw wrote:

No comparisons are needed.

You really don't get it. You can't say something is inadequate if you don't have anything to compare it to.

BTW, your PDF "issue" is not a Revit problem. Revit, by itself cannot even make PDFs.

Rob,

I have provided specific examples to flaws in the program, that I and others have experienced. All you have replied is that I must compare the program to something to validate that it is a flaw. You, sir, are missing the point.

With regards to pdfs, the very fact that Revit can't do pdfs by itself is part of the problem. Now despite having paid for a pdf writer (Bluebeam) I still need to instal Microsoft Visual Studio (or an equivalent), learn how to use that program and learn C+ in order to write an application that will enable me to write pdfs with a file name comprising of parameter values in the model.

Super simple stuff really. I guess in Revit 2019 I will be required to write the code that enables families that I create to be loaded into the model so that Autodesk doesn't need to concern itself with licensing issues that might arise from vendor supplied family?

Regards,

Dan

Message 126 of 133
RobDraw

No, really, how can you know if something has shortcomings, if there isn't something that doesn't have them? If there was no comparison, how would you know it is coming up short?

By definition, you are making a comparison whether you admit it or not. Saying you aren't is an inane as this thread. 99% of these complaints are from users who don't know how to get what they want out of Revit or just like to complain instead of finding a solution. For every one of these complainants, there are thousands who are putting out successful projects with Revit on a daily basis.

Rob

Message 127 of 133
MarryTookMyCoffe

rob with all respect

most of the time solving problem in Revit mean ' avoid problem'. You repeat the same thing over and over like broken record.

We don't need to compare it to anything else to know that it had many flaw(translate to: "it should it be called bug").
I could bring many examples but with you rob, there is just no point.

So I'm gonna end it with jpeg that perfectly show what I think about UI in Revit

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------|\/\/|------------------------
do not worry it only gonna take Autodesk 5 years to fix bug
Message 128 of 133
RobDraw
in reply to: MarryTookMyCoffe

saying the same thing as all the others.

Starting from the subject, this thread was a broken record. Sure, Revit has it's flaws but so does every software program. Why else would we need updates and new versions? Most of us find ways to make it do what we want instead of giving up and complaining.

If you don't like Revit, try to find something better. Do it, find a single program that does it better. I dare you. When you do and then find out it's also not perfect, go to their forums and complain.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Rob

Message 129 of 133
MarryTookMyCoffe

I see that you are person who just need to have last word.. not this time rob

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------|\/\/|------------------------
do not worry it only gonna take Autodesk 5 years to fix bug
Message 130 of 133

Everyone,

Please remember these are professional forums and as such deserve a professional decorum when participating.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 131 of 133
TerriHuffMHS-VDC
in reply to: sbsaint

It gets better! Smiley Wink

Message 132 of 133

Please remember these are professionals describing an extreme distrust and dislike of a less than professional software. Personally I'm very tired  of hearing the statement "revit cant do that".

Please spend more time working on a more time effective product than worrying about forum decorum.

maybe even consider a better word processing tools, links with excel and a revit lite software.

DOD

Message 133 of 133

@Jdaniel9999 wrote:

Please remember these are professionals describing an extreme distrust and dislike of a less than professional software. Personally I'm very tired  of hearing the statement "revit cant do that".

Please spend more time working on a more time effective product than worrying about forum decorum.

maybe even consider a better word processing tools, links with excel and a revit lite software.

DOD

Well......

Since I am the moderator the tone of these statements are  kind of my priority\job

The following are a few ways to help improve the product.

Join Revit beta here

Send feedback to the team here

Suggest a Idea to improve the product here

All of that being said this is a seven year old post that topic wise is all over the place now so I am closing it to additional replies.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report