Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Width of a polyline

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
laceysname
172651 Views, 26 Replies

Global Width of a polyline

I am very much a beginner with AutoCAD and the majority of what I'm doing at the moment is tracing rubbersheeted paper maps with polylines. My problem is that my polyline tool has somehow gotten set to a global width of 1.9 (approx.) and is so wide that I can't see what I'm tracing. I have to change it back to 0 in the properties box, but by then I can't continue drawing the same polyline. Polyline is the only tool set to such a thick global width, lines and arcs seem fine.

So, I want to figure out how to set the global width for polylines back to 0 as a default.

Many thanks,

Lacey
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
markdoel
in reply to: laceysname

pline
place your first data point
then type W
then set the default width to 0

all future polylines will now use 0
Message 3 of 27
laceysname

Thank you! You have solved my problem! Thank you so much for being generous with someone who obviously is rather ignorant as well. I do nearly all of my work in Illustrator, and AutoCAD is very different.

I have a secondary problem, caused by the first one that maybe you might be able to help with too? I'd be so appreciative. I drew several lines, instead of polylines, because I couldn't see what I was tracing. But, I really need those lines to be joined into polylines. Is there a way to join them together and turn them into a polyline?
Message 4 of 27
morrissette

PEDIT
select a line
convert it to a PLINE
JOIN all the lines together using PEDIT command
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

markdoel wrote:
> pline
> place your first data point
> then type W
> then set the default width to 0
>
> all future polylines will now use 0

or do it the easy way and set PLINEWID to 0
Dave
DDP
Message 6 of 27
omc-usnr

If you have trouble joining line segments, it means the end points are not at the same x,y,z in space. Sometimes its not very obvious, so make sure your end points are at the same point.

Reid
Message 7 of 27

Hey guys!

1. I have a problem with the global width of a polyline. At first, when I set global width, the polyline became with the width I wanted it to be, but a day after when I opened my .dwg, the width itself was gone - there were only the contours of the polyline with the global width, but the polyline wasn't thick, it was empty. How can I fix this problem? I want to see the polyline with its global width the normal way.. Here is a screenshot of the situation.. 

Message 8 of 27

Is your FILLMODE set to 1?

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 9 of 27

Hi! I don´t know how to make the polylines to appear fill. I paste an image of what I´m saying... Miy fillmode is in 1.

Could anybody help me?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 27

If I'm not wrong, I think I handled the problem with deleting unnessessary things in the drawing. The .dwg file was too heavy and because of that, the global width has gone, and there were only the contours of it. If you haven't anything to delete, try with PURGE command and then PURGE ALL. I hope this can help you!

Message 11 of 27

Thanks for your answer, but it wasn?t that what?s wrong... I?m still trying to figure it out each time that I use that file...
Message 12 of 27
jaknanow
in reply to: LuciaRosarina

Have you found any solution to the problem? 

I also use polyline with global width and have the same thing as mentioned before - there are only contours of the pline, so it looks like rectangles in a row. 

Thanks

Message 13 of 27
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jaknanow

Set FILLMODE to 1 and REGEN

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 14 of 27
crees

try "flatten" command.hope this helpSmiley Wink

Message 15 of 27
gingerbach
Message 16 of 27
dany_rochefort
in reply to: gingerbach

After trying all of these variable changes, i figured out that the problem was the drawing file itself, not the variables. 

Solution : Open a new drawing, paste your stuff into it & save as. 

Message 17 of 27
C_William_Lee

Did yo try the plinewid system varible?

Message 18 of 27
muzammilrayyan
in reply to: markdoel

thank you

Message 19 of 27
diepkhoi90

Pline comand > pick first point > W > 0 > 0 > Pick second point
PS: every > is space

Message 20 of 27
vikrant.v7
in reply to: diepkhoi90

Thankyou mate..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report