Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express Tools in Autocad LT

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
316 Views, 6 Replies

Express Tools in Autocad LT

The people over there-----> suggested to ask over here. So I am.

Some cow-orkers are going to a joint-venture office to work on the remainder
of a project. The first half was done here, with full autocad, including
layer state managers. Now the other office only has a couple licenses of
Acad, with the rest being LT. Seems like that's gonna be a big problem.

Is there a way to get LT to have ET operability, especially complete
compatibility with LMAN?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

and with a movebak feature

"JvD" wrote in message
news:5254990@discussion.autodesk.com...
>especially complete
compatibility with LMAN?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

It's the price you pay for using LT. Being lower cost it's only going to
get part of the features and it doesn't have any customization support.

--
Rodney McManamy
President
CADzation
-------------------------
rmcmanamy@cadzation.com
-------------------------
518 South Route 31 Suite 200
McHenry, IL 60050
http://www.cadzation.com
Providing Industrial Strength
PDF & DWF Solutions to the
Global CAD Marketplace.

"JvD" wrote in message
news:5254990@discussion.autodesk.com...
The people over there-----> suggested to ask over here. So I am.

Some cow-orkers are going to a joint-venture office to work on the remainder
of a project. The first half was done here, with full autocad, including
layer state managers. Now the other office only has a couple licenses of
Acad, with the rest being LT. Seems like that's gonna be a big problem.

Is there a way to get LT to have ET operability, especially complete
compatibility with LMAN?
Message 4 of 7
Shinyhead

With LT it is tricky, if your office has VERY good control of its drawing standards, and your creative with macros and scripts files, you can emulate some of the express tools, but your going to have to take care in planning out what you do. LT can be highly tailored and more automation can be done then most people think, it just takes very carefull planning. Having it already started without this in mind may make this project too hard to do that way, but I would strongly consider planning for this in the future if there is a possiblity it may happen agian. In my office, I do my general drafting with almost no tools not available to our LT guys, not to limit myself, but to make sure my drawings are compatible and that if there is a bottleneck in our drafting I will be familier with it and can do something to speed it up, but even though we have 15 or so radically different drafting styles we have to draw in (multiple, widely varying clients), we have one tool palette that will do 90% of your standard functions (lines, dims, text, blocks, hatch) that do so based on which client you are working on (the template holds the blocks, which are named universally) and ensure correct layer insertion, scale etc. It can be done, but not "after the fact"
-General CAD Monkey
-Part Time CAD Instructor
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

>>It can be done, but not "after the fact"

Funny we have none of issues you describe with LT.

Regards Gary. Message was edited by: Discussion Admin
Message 6 of 7
Shinyhead

Gary,
With all due respect, and some around here can probably confirm this, simply buying an add on will not end your cad managment issues. Your product is a very viable tool to aid that, but like anything else it may not be the answer to every situation. For instance, it is of limited use to us, but I am in the unique position of having a decent sized office working to radically different cad standards and styles that have to be correct per the clients desires. Simply having some commands that work like autocad full isn't enough. If every station had full instead of LT, the issues would still be there. If we bought your product and it works fantastically, the cad standards issue would still be there. We needed a system that allows a drafter to hit the ground running on a new project where he may have never drawn for them before, and is thus not familiar with the thousand little specifics of how they do it. I could just make a standard for each client they would need to spend hours reviewing before starting a job, or I could make a simple (looking) set of tools that takes care of *most* of that for them. Your product, and Deans, as well as a few others are great and serve as an example of what can be done. Unfortunatly in my particular situation I would still have to do a LOT of customizing to make this work for us. If I have to spend the time its not that much more to just make it all from scratch and save the time/money.
No software package or add on will manage your cad systems for you, you need to understand the system and its implementation completely if you want to do it right. If you are doing a few in house styles, then you can often get away with simply using some well designed tools to aid you, but when you start mixing software packages and working with VASTLY different drafting styles, that simply wont work as cleanly as all that. Yes I could make a command for making a linear dimension for every client, but I would then have 15 buttons the user has to pick from to use one command, repeat that for all the common commands... well it gets a bit ungainly.
We have specific solutions that a software package simply wont be capable of because of the customization required, but we are not in your normal situation.

My main point, regular LT can be customized, But like anything else, its hard after the fact. Message was edited by: Discussion Admin
-General CAD Monkey
-Part Time CAD Instructor
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Well written.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report