Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud computing for CAD / BIM... within 2 years perhaps?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mdhutchinson
3095 Views, 7 Replies

Cloud computing for CAD / BIM... within 2 years perhaps?

I just recently heard of Cloud Computing... is it on the horizon for CAD / BIM?

Just what it 'Cloud Computing'... multiple user's accessing a single installation of software on a network computer?

Multiple users accessing and editing a single Model file?

Internal users, outside users?

Can you even buy CAD or BIM software in a version that will run in a cloud invironment?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: mdhutchinson

It's everywhere now, do you use a service like Dropbox, Microsoft's ASkydrive or Google Docs?

Autodesk's offering to date is here now:

http://butterfly.autodesk.com/

Message 3 of 8
dgorsman

Cloud computing takes the application and most of the data and moves it to a server, usually remotely located.  The user typically doesn't need to install anything on their own PC, the application runs kind of like a browser-application hybrid.  This comes with a number of advantages and disadvantages, such as: no software is required on the computer; you can access the program and data from anywhere you have an internet location; concerns regarding data security as the storage is *not* in your control; getting access to backups in case of a major systems crash at their end (I think Google had this happen a while back); what do you do if internet connection is not working properly on your end; and so on.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 8
Backnblack
in reply to: dgorsman

How would you use a 3rd party add-on with this type of cloud based technology? 

Message 5 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Backnblack

Right-now, today, you don't, since you are not hosting the app (or the drawing file in some cases). But the technology is still under development for such questions, things will change as it matures.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

My company makes cloud-based civil engineering software for conceptual site design. It's called SITEOPS. You cannot use it for final design, but for preliminary site layout and grading plans, it is INCREDIBLY powerful. It's compatible with LandDesktop and Civil 3D as well as other DWG-based civil engineering apps.

The cloud-based model enables our applications to use sophisticated algorithms to run through thousands of complex design alternatives for your site - essentially, it's modeling thousands of combinations of conceptual layout, grading, and piping plans for a site, and helping you identify the ones that meet all of your design specs with lower cost. This just would not be possible with even the fastest computers in your office. The design work is done by you on your local machine, on a locally running piece of the software - only the "heavy lifting" processing such as optimization and storage is done in the cloud.

Also, since the project data is stored (securely) in the cloud, you can have team members collaborating on a project - just create logins and permissions, and they can view or work on a project.

It's really amazing stuff. If you do any work that involves moving dirt or laying out buildings, parking, etc. you should certainly check out SITEOPS. And if you're using Autodesk products, it'll fit right into your existing workflow.

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Interesting.  Might be useful to someone.  Just keep in mind "secure" and "cloud" (read as "Internet") are different.  While some clients are ok with this others are very explicit about control of their intellectual property.  Since your clients do not have direct control over your storage system that is not considered secure.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Anonymous

very nice that you mentioned it not meant for final design.

I'm so tired of overmarketing, but realistic statements catch my attention.

SiteOps does get the credit for the first real BIM tool in Civil site design. The fact that it can optimize designs is a sign everyone should look for in something that claims to be BIM.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report