Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17
ArmyVet717
591 Views, 16 Replies

Client requests

Hello,

I work for a telecommunications engineering company, and one of our clients has given us a task to come up with a way to utlize DWG or DWF files to assist in searching and locating features quickly.

What they want to be able to do is have the ability to create search perameters to find addresses, streets, cities, and counties in several states quickly. They brought up DXF files as a way to do so as they do not utilize AutoCAD. I have been researching DWF and DWFx creation, and the ability to utilize them as HTML files.

I have worked with AutoCAD for over 7 years, and never utilized DWF files, and do not know if that would be a benefit for them. My manager though of possibly using a spreadsheet to place the hyperlinks on, but that would require the DWF files to be loaded on a web page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: ArmyVet717

i don't see an easy way of doing this

you would have to have some webpage design programming

i don't believe dwfx or dwf can do this

i would have to check

you may consider looking at GIS software like Autocad Map or Infrastructure map server

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
ArmyVet717
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank you for the response.

We do have one machine running Map 3D. Even still, I am not sure how to accomplish the task of making the locating of the information quick. Using the "Find" command is useful, but if they are not running the software, it is a mood point. And with the DWF, it seems we would have to create a dwg of every intersection in order to make a site specific map that could be utlized, which judging by the size of the file I was told about could be enormous, creating even more issues.

Message 4 of 17
DarrenP

have you looked at Autodesk Infrastructure Map Server aka Mapguide?

this may be the way to go

unless someone else has an idea

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
ArmyVet717

I just looked at Autodesk Infrastructure Map Server. Although it seems useful, I am not certain the company wants to spend the money to purchase additional software in order to satiafy only one client. I will do some more research on however and at least bring it up.

Message 6 of 17
DarrenP

if its just for 1 client probably won't be a good idea to justify spending that amount of money on it

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
DarrenP

you can see what you can do with this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5801732

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
ArmyVet717

Thanks, I will look into this. I am really at a loss as to how to accomplish this task fully without looking at other types of software or hiring someone to write a program to do exactly what they want.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 17
steven-g

Sounds interesting. Try a search for the 'Whip' plugin on the programming forums here in the discussion groups. And good luck sounds like an interesting project.

Message 10 of 17
ArmyVet717
in reply to: steven-g

I looked into "Whip", but since we are all running 64 bit systems, it looks like I am out of luck with that. I am waiting for my manager to come and see what he was able to find out from the client as far as what they really want, but when we last talked, it looks like we may have to go to a outside contractor for assistance.

Message 11 of 17
dgorsman

I think Whip has been obsolete for some time now.

Something else to consider, is simply letting the client know that  you can't do it (with the research, of course) and they should consider putting a pin in it for later down the road.  "Can't be done" isn't always liked but sometimes it's the only answer.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 17
ArmyVet717
in reply to: dgorsman

I enlisted the help of one of my CAD guys, and have contacted others in my company for assistance. We are all coming up with the same conclusion. It can't be done.

We were then told that they would like to use Google Earth to map out the 800 mile route, and have markers at specific locations that would contain the address and a link to where a file for that area would be. We decided that the most logical way to do this would be to use either dwf or pdf files and load them on the clients ftp site. We can then "link" specific files to markers that would dispay once the link is selected. The downside is that they would most likely have to download the file for viewing. But we beleive that this will be the easiest and most logical way to accomplish the task. One of the client managers told us they had used dwf file previously, but will not disclose how it was done or who did it for him.

Thanks for the input.

Message 13 of 17
DarrenP

ArmyVet717 wrote:

One of the client managers told us they had used dwf file previously, but will not disclose how it was done or who did it for him.

how do they expect you to help then?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
ArmyVet717

We think another contractor did it and he does not know how.

Message 15 of 17
steven-g

It's that one tiny little sentence that gets me every time (it can't be done). Could you explain in a bit more detail, the sort of  information they are wanting to be presented, what they want to achieve.

Message 16 of 17
ArmyVet717
in reply to: steven-g

I know what you mean. I hate using those words at all.

Our client has an 800 mile stretch of fiber from Sacramento to San Diego. They want to have their "As-Built" drawings available for review when their engineers are using OSP Insight (MapInfo product) to update fiber counts and usage. They suggested Google Earth and DWF files so that when they select a preset point in Google Earth, it will dispaly an address and a link that would launch the DWF. We have tried a few times unsuccessfully to make this happen unless the DWF file is located on the C-Drive of the computer that created the DWF. Once we move it to a server or FTP site, and use that link, it becomes "broken" and gives us an error dialog box.

We know that using Google Earth will achieve what they want, it is getting the DWF files directed properly that is becoming an issue now. We are going to suggest PDF files, but the main reason they want the DWF is because the file size is much smaller than a PDF.

Message 17 of 17
steven-g

Now that makes more sense.

http://thecadgeek.com/blog/2010/03/internet-explorer-dwfx/

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/DWG-TrueView/IE-browser-cannot-open-dwf-quot-file-not-found-quot-on-we...

Both these links make it look as though the problem is with the browser software and the way in which the DWF is created it could be the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report