CAD Managers

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 11 of 17 (277 Views)

Re: Client requests

07-03-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: ArmyVet717

I think Whip has been obsolete for some time now.

Something else to consider, is simply letting the client know that  you can't do it (with the research, of course) and they should consider putting a pin in it for later down the road.  "Can't be done" isn't always liked but sometimes it's the only answer.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
ArmyVet717
Message 12 of 17 (276 Views)

07-03-2012 11:39 AM in reply to: dgorsman

I enlisted the help of one of my CAD guys, and have contacted others in my company for assistance. We are all coming up with the same conclusion. It can't be done.

We were then told that they would like to use Google Earth to map out the 800 mile route, and have markers at specific locations that would contain the address and a link to where a file for that area would be. We decided that the most logical way to do this would be to use either dwf or pdf files and load them on the clients ftp site. We can then "link" specific files to markers that would dispay once the link is selected. The downside is that they would most likely have to download the file for viewing. But we beleive that this will be the easiest and most logical way to accomplish the task. One of the client managers told us they had used dwf file previously, but will not disclose how it was done or who did it for him.

Thanks for the input.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 13 of 17 (274 Views)

07-03-2012 11:42 AM in reply to: ArmyVet717

ArmyVet717 wrote:

One of the client managers told us they had used dwf file previously, but will not disclose how it was done or who did it for him.

how do they expect you to help then?

Active Contributor
ArmyVet717
Message 14 of 17 (269 Views)

07-03-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: DarrenP

We think another contractor did it and he does not know how.

Valued Mentor
steven-g
Message 15 of 17 (261 Views)

07-03-2012 08:53 PM in reply to: ArmyVet717

It's that one tiny little sentence that gets me every time (it can't be done). Could you explain in a bit more detail, the sort of  information they are wanting to be presented, what they want to achieve.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
Active Contributor
ArmyVet717
Message 16 of 17 (250 Views)

07-05-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: steven-g

I know what you mean. I hate using those words at all.

Our client has an 800 mile stretch of fiber from Sacramento to San Diego. They want to have their "As-Built" drawings available for review when their engineers are using OSP Insight (MapInfo product) to update fiber counts and usage. They suggested Google Earth and DWF files so that when they select a preset point in Google Earth, it will dispaly an address and a link that would launch the DWF. We have tried a few times unsuccessfully to make this happen unless the DWF file is located on the C-Drive of the computer that created the DWF. Once we move it to a server or FTP site, and use that link, it becomes "broken" and gives us an error dialog box.

We know that using Google Earth will achieve what they want, it is getting the DWF files directed properly that is becoming an issue now. We are going to suggest PDF files, but the main reason they want the DWF is because the file size is much smaller than a PDF.

Valued Mentor
steven-g
Message 17 of 17 (241 Views)

07-05-2012 11:14 AM in reply to: ArmyVet717

Now that makes more sense.

http://thecadgeek.com/blog/2010/03/internet-explorer-dwfx/

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/DWG-TrueView/IE-browser-cannot-open-dwf-quot-file-not-found-quot-on-we...

Both these links make it look as though the problem is with the browser software and the way in which the DWF is created it could be the issue.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube