Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
chris.mckinzie
2609 Views, 9 Replies

Best Printer

I am looking for a new C sized (18'x24") deskjet printer.  Does anyone have recommendations on a good one?  We had an HP Designjet 90r, but it's seen better days.  Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
namssurt
in reply to: chris.mckinzie

C sized printers are not a particularly popular size and as a result your choices are severely limited. There are numerous choices in 24" printer/plotters and there is no rule saying that you have to load 24" wide paper. You can load 18" wide rolls or single sheets. The fact that it is 24" wide also adds the versatility of loading 24"x36" sheets when necessary. If 12x18 is also necessary, we found that buying a 13x19 printer, of which there are many choices from hp, canon & epson made a sound investment since there are several at less than $300 US

jg
Message 3 of 10
chris.mckinzie
in reply to: namssurt

You've got a good point.  However, I should have mentioned this in my initial post...  We currently have a bunch of boxes of C-sized sheets already.  So it would be nice to find a printer that has a tray for loading up C-sized sheets.  We've also got a lot of drawings that are set up to automatically publish to the C-sized printer which saves us a lot of time in trimming sheets from say a 36" wide roll feed plotter.

Message 4 of 10
pendean

www.google.com and find one: post back what little you find for some opinions if you still need them. Sadly there is no secret stash of hidden C-sized tray printers that you can't find on your own.

Most folks (including us) use a plotter that will accept 24" rolls and do it that way.

Message 5 of 10
namssurt

A 24" roll plotter can handle your automated prints as 24" wide 18" tall and cut accordingly. You can hand load till you use up your inventory of paper. Paper inventory is a short term excuse since you can use it up pretty quickly and find yourself trapped in a poor choice of product that will perpetuate the trap. Why do you mention the 36" roll plotter when the recommendation is a 24" roll? In fact HP doesn't make 36" wide plotters any more.

jg
Message 6 of 10
chris.mckinzie

I mentioned a 36" roll plotter because my company still has one of the HP dinosaurs.  When our designjet 90r went down I was forced to start sending all of my prints to the 36" wide plotter and trimming them down.

Message 7 of 10
pendean

Go buy a 24" roll from your paper-roll supplier, it's the way to go.

Message 8 of 10
namssurt

We have one too and would buy another if we could get one new or at least with driver and parts support. However a 24" roll feed would not require hand trimming of paper, and you can sheet load the 36" plotter with any size down to 8.5 wide (maybe smaller too but why bother, the 8.5" is for setup sheets)

jg
Message 9 of 10
chris.mckinzie

That's a good point about just using the 24" roll.  Or getting a 24" roll feed plotter (we could use a second plotter anyway).  Sheet feeding wouldn't be a good option for us because we routinely send 50 or more plots at a time.

Message 10 of 10
namssurt

Maybe your paper supplier will make you a trade of some rolls for the precuts.

jg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report