CAD Managers

Reply
*Christou, Joseph
Message 1 of 11 (619 Views)

Autolisp Job Opportunities

619 Views, 10 Replies
12-19-2002 02:56 AM
Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate post, but I'm a CAD Designer
trying to get into a CAD Manager or Autolisp Programmer position.

I'm just curious how the CAD Manager and Autolisp gurus came into their
positions, other than the normal searching of the classified.

Are there websites strictly for the CAD Manager applicants, or autolisp
related careers?

It just seems like all the employers love the idea of autolisp during the
interview process, but after a few months, autolisp takes a major backseat
to everything else.

Any suggestions as to what direction I need to pursue.

I'm currently working in Baltimore, MD and I'm not "totally" against
relocating.

Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is inappropriate for this
group.

Joe C.
Distinguished Contributor
Posts: 4,707
Registered: ‎12-12-2003
Message 2 of 11 (619 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

12-19-2002 03:36 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
You're right this is an inappropriate place to post this.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the way I see it you have to get a job drawing in AutoCAD at a company that's big enough to have more that a one Seat of AutoCAD, then before work and during your lunch and breaks and after work at home you write lisp and teach your fellow employees how to use it and after a long while they will see the value of it and want more and more things done and still nobody will be able to convince managment that you need to do this full time so you keep doing your job and writing lisp when you can and eventually the company will be prosperous enough and large enough to work you into being the unofficial CAD manager/programmer that still has to do other things on demand too.
Seriously i saw some job postings at www.mcneel.com, mostly in Washington state.

Billl
Distinguished Contributor
Posts: 1,285
Registered: ‎12-11-2003
Message 3 of 11 (619 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

12-19-2002 03:43 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
in the Discussion Groups Index under "General Discussion Groups" is a Community newsgroup, you might try posting/searching there (there's a Classifieds section.)
*Esquivel, Luis
Message 4 of 11 (619 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

12-19-2002 06:19 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
> I'm just curious how the CAD Manager and Autolisp gurus came into their
> positions, other than the normal searching of the classified.

For autolisp programmer is not common.

> Are there websites strictly for the CAD Manager applicants, or autolisp
> related careers?

Take a look at the pn.cadmanager ng.

>
> It just seems like all the employers love the idea of autolisp during the
> interview process, but after a few months, autolisp takes a major backseat
> to everything else.

They don't care, if you are good in customization it will be better to probe
your self that with end results, show'em what can you do fast, deliver is
what they want.

I play that role before, now I work as a project architect, and on the side
I provide customization as a consultant, but not just autolisp, you need to
now some other languages like: c++, vb, objectarx, activex, visual lisp,
vba.

For what I have seen as cad manager they are more realated to standards and
to be between an IT person, (sorry no offense at all to anyone, that is for
my own experience)

> Any suggestions as to what direction I need to pursue.
>
> I'm currently working in Baltimore, MD and I'm not "totally" against
> relocating.
>
> Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is inappropriate for this
> group.
>
> Joe C.
>
>
Valued Contributor
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎07-01-2003
Message 5 of 11 (619 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

12-19-2002 10:04 PM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
Why don't you just do what my employeers did and hire a cheap college intern for a summer who has never seen AutoCAD before, give them no reference material, a slow computer to work on, and ask them to re-write all their menu macros, add a toolbar and dropdown menu for all custom functionality, and come up with a new layout for a digitizing board? And when they finish this big task...ask them to do even more... I here Georgia Tech is a good place to find such people. -Intern-
*Spangler, Timothy
Message 6 of 11 (619 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

12-19-2002 11:28 PM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
I feel your pain. I was also looking for the same sort of position in the
Towson, N. Baltimore Area and found that everyone was interested but didn't
want to pay for it. The answers were the same start in as a drafter and
MAYBE they could work me into a position that I was looking for. So they
wanted to bring me on as a drafter and pay nothing. I have 5+ years
experience in AutoCAD but the pay wasn't there.

If you find something E-mail me :smileysurprised:)

--
=================================
Timothy Spangler

"Live for Today"
WinXP Pro
=================================
"Joseph Christou" wrote in message
news:54A41C089B9E2FC57FBC1D0286524754@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate post, but I'm a CAD Designer
> trying to get into a CAD Manager or Autolisp Programmer position.
>
> I'm just curious how the CAD Manager and Autolisp gurus came into their
> positions, other than the normal searching of the classified.
>
> Are there websites strictly for the CAD Manager applicants, or autolisp
> related careers?
>
> It just seems like all the employers love the idea of autolisp during the
> interview process, but after a few months, autolisp takes a major backseat
> to everything else.
>
> Any suggestions as to what direction I need to pursue.
>
> I'm currently working in Baltimore, MD and I'm not "totally" against
> relocating.
>
> Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is inappropriate for this
> group.
>
> Joe C.
>
>
*Terry, Kevin
Message 7 of 11 (619 Views)

Re:

12-20-2002 12:19 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
In my opinion, you need to offer just a little more than customizing menus
and automating simple tasks. I was in the market some time ago, and got
picked up by this company because I could program in vba, access, and
autocad. They were looking for someone to create in-house custom
applications. Streamlining the cad department is a side function to the job,
and even here takes the back burner to day-to-day activities (getting the
work out the door). My main function is product design now, but what got me
in the door was my programming abilities and some management experience (in
manufacturing). You don't have to necessarily be a cad manager now, just
have some experience managing. Maybe you could manage a 7-11 on the side? :smileywink:
Just kidding, but I do seriously think windows (excel, office, etc.)
programming is good to have on the resume.

--
Kevin


"Timothy Spangler" wrote in message
news:4C88C0853E69019960637A3AD4EC908A@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I feel your pain. I was also looking for the same sort of position in the
> Towson, N. Baltimore Area and found that everyone was interested but
didn't
> want to pay for it. The answers were the same start in as a drafter and
> MAYBE they could work me into a position that I was looking for. So they
> wanted to bring me on as a drafter and pay nothing. I have 5+ years
> experience in AutoCAD but the pay wasn't there.
>
> If you find something E-mail me :smileysurprised:)
>
> --
> =================================
> Timothy Spangler
>
> "Live for Today"
> WinXP Pro
> =================================
> "Joseph Christou" wrote in message
> news:54A41C089B9E2FC57FBC1D0286524754@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate post, but I'm a CAD
Designer
> > trying to get into a CAD Manager or Autolisp Programmer position.
> >
> > I'm just curious how the CAD Manager and Autolisp gurus came into their
> > positions, other than the normal searching of the classified.
> >
> > Are there websites strictly for the CAD Manager applicants, or autolisp
> > related careers?
> >
> > It just seems like all the employers love the idea of autolisp during
the
> > interview process, but after a few months, autolisp takes a major
backseat
> > to everything else.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what direction I need to pursue.
> >
> > I'm currently working in Baltimore, MD and I'm not "totally" against
> > relocating.
> >
> > Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is inappropriate for
this
> > group.
> >
> > Joe C.
> >
> >
>
>
*Spangler, Timothy
Message 8 of 11 (619 Views)

Re:

12-20-2002 12:52 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
I agree with you on that point but I also think that it goes a little
further than that in today's market. Businesses are asking for turn key
software so all they have to do is load it and they are up and running. And
that software does everything they need it to do. no customizing needed. So
if you can use Lisp or VBA.VB then you will have to show them beyond the
shadow of a doubt that you can save them money. I have only seen people who
just program LISP and such in large companies. 200+. Maybe they have more
of a need ? Just a thought

--
=================================
Timothy Spangler

"Live for Today"
WinXP Pro
=================================
"Kevin Terry" wrote in message
news:E35EDC21EAFCB5F2AF29ECF8AA76EF77@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> In my opinion, you need to offer just a little more than customizing menus
> and automating simple tasks. I was in the market some time ago, and got
> picked up by this company because I could program in vba, access, and
> autocad. They were looking for someone to create in-house custom
> applications. Streamlining the cad department is a side function to the
job,
> and even here takes the back burner to day-to-day activities (getting the
> work out the door). My main function is product design now, but what got
me
> in the door was my programming abilities and some management experience
(in
> manufacturing). You don't have to necessarily be a cad manager now, just
> have some experience managing. Maybe you could manage a 7-11 on the side?
:smileywink:
> Just kidding, but I do seriously think windows (excel, office, etc.)
> programming is good to have on the resume.
>
> --
> Kevin
>
>
> "Timothy Spangler" wrote in message
> news:4C88C0853E69019960637A3AD4EC908A@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I feel your pain. I was also looking for the same sort of position in
the
> > Towson, N. Baltimore Area and found that everyone was interested but
> didn't
> > want to pay for it. The answers were the same start in as a drafter and
> > MAYBE they could work me into a position that I was looking for. So
they
> > wanted to bring me on as a drafter and pay nothing. I have 5+ years
> > experience in AutoCAD but the pay wasn't there.
> >
> > If you find something E-mail me :smileysurprised:)
> >
> > --
> > =================================
> > Timothy Spangler
> >
> > "Live for Today"
> > WinXP Pro
> > =================================
> > "Joseph Christou" wrote in message
> > news:54A41C089B9E2FC57FBC1D0286524754@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate post, but I'm a CAD
> Designer
> > > trying to get into a CAD Manager or Autolisp Programmer position.
> > >
> > > I'm just curious how the CAD Manager and Autolisp gurus came into
their
> > > positions, other than the normal searching of the classified.
> > >
> > > Are there websites strictly for the CAD Manager applicants, or
autolisp
> > > related careers?
> > >
> > > It just seems like all the employers love the idea of autolisp during
> the
> > > interview process, but after a few months, autolisp takes a major
> backseat
> > > to everything else.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions as to what direction I need to pursue.
> > >
> > > I'm currently working in Baltimore, MD and I'm not "totally" against
> > > relocating.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance and again I apologize if this is inappropriate for
> this
> > > group.
> > >
> > > Joe C.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*Esquivel, Luis
Message 9 of 11 (619 Views)

Re:

12-20-2002 02:04 AM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph
Most of the new software tends to be in-capsulated like Revit, there is no
need for customization (for what I know of this program), means that once is
introduced as a full part of Autodesk new architectural package there where
no need for any customization. I don't know if is going to for any other
disciplines but to me is how "they" vision the future and to keep them on
bussiness.

Just think if you come up with a super-idea the big-ones will try to buy you
or to produce a similar product, to have the control.


:smileywink:
bac
New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-06-2013
Message 10 of 11 (515 Views)

Re: Autolisp Job Opportunities

05-06-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: *Christou, Joseph

Hope this is okay to post:

Have a 1yr contract postion in Phoenix, AZ for AutoLisp programmer. 70K more depending on experience. I can provide more details.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube