Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012 Apps Store

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
pendean
1271 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD 2012 Apps Store

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

<<Coins Translate, for example, is a free app that enables designers to quickly and easily translate text in a drawing into a variety of languages, using the Google Translate web service. >>

That could be good; though not coming to your favorite LT install anytime soon I suspect.

Message 3 of 15
JamesMaeding

Kean mentioned it too in Through the Interface blog.

My question is how it does the organizing and loading.

I do like the idea of a tool listing that is guaranteed to install and run (though not bug free maybe).

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 4 of 15
pendean
in reply to: JamesMaeding

It is my understanding that Autodesk reviews in detail each submission and only approves apps that are trouble-free for the end user: but as with all software, bugs are only exposed with mass use, not limited testing, so we will see how they react to bug reports for apps.

Message 5 of 15
JamesMaeding

that is good, but I am more interested in how those apps get loaded.

I tend to demand load things, and that means some menu command or key-in I defined will start them up, not when acad starts.

I also want control of where a programs menu is loaded from, as I continually find third party apps mishandling the menu issue.

Many install to program files, then only have an .mnu file.  So the prog loads the .mnu, and windows 7 does not let them compile a .cui since rights are restricted to prog files folders.

Things like that mean we need control of where things get installed and how they load.

Message 6 of 15
pendean

Are you running R2012? I unfortunately already installed the freeware from Autodesk Labs in R2012 so I'm not really needing much else on offer. I will try the translator app (free) and see what it does for installation and let you know, but it may not represent how "all of them" do it.

Message 7 of 15
JamesMaeding

yes, 2012 is not my production version, but I have it.

I just went to the app store and got the spiro tool.

It downloads an msi, which installs with no meaningful questions on location or options.

It installed to:

C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ADNPlugin-Spiro.bundle\

which is at least better than program files these days.

It loaded the spiro menu automatically on startup, and the spi command worked as expected.

So the install was pretty smooth, although took 2 minutes for some reason to place only 1 mb of files.

The real tools are the .dlls placed in:

C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ADNPlugin-Spiro.bundle\Contents\Windows

The spiro dll is 21kb and FSharp.Core.dll is almost 1 mb.

It is interesting that Kean W recommends placing .net dlls in the acad install folder, yet this system does not.

I have never run into problems by not putting in install folder of acad, so will not until I see some.

Now I need to see if i can move those dll's to another folder, then uninstall the add in to see if there is some licensing held in another spot.  If not, they are just housekeeping for you and that is great for those that do not shuffle around add ons all day.

Message 8 of 15
JamesMaeding

slick, there is no outside authorization, so you can put those dll's wherever you want.

For example, I could place on a network folder for all users, assuming there are no EULA issues preventing this.

I would guess any pay app authorizations would be the same as if the prog was downloaded from a regular online store.

I belive Kean explains all this in his blog, I am just trying things for real to see if any glitches happen.

Message 9 of 15
mjung

I didn't see this in Civil 3D 2012. Is it available? Lynn Allens blog showed a icon to click. That is what I'm not seeing....

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 10 of 15
pendean
in reply to: mjung

I believe it is only available to plain AutoCAD 2012 users in Exchange, not verticals or vertical running 'as AutoCAD' profiles: weird, I'm not sure why the restriction.

Message 11 of 15
mjung

Yea after seeing a few more blog posts and other resources that seems to be the conclusion I came to as well. It looks like the lack of vertical support is to see how it will work on a smaller scale before rolling out to all apps. That's too bad for me because we have dropped vanilla autocad for seats of civil 3d 2012. Gotta love it, spend more to get less. LOL

Message 12 of 15
JamesMaeding
in reply to: mjung

but who cares about a direct link from the acad editor anyway, just use the web link.

You might say C3D does not support this whole app store thing, but it is actually the opposite.

The catalyst that made the whole thing possible was the creation of the "loader" that allows you to install and have the tools available on all acad types.

Autodesk helped the developers automate the task of creating reg entries for the autoload when the command is typed, also the ribbon integration I think.

So they did do this one "right", though the link button might be missing.

Gotta give Kean Walmsly and his team credit for this one.

Message 13 of 15
mjung

OK....what might the web link be? I can get to the Autodesk Exchange web site (http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/) but there isn't anywhere on it that gets you to the App Site.  

Message 14 of 15
pendean

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/store

The direct link has been terminated: try it, if you find it and you are NOT a plain AutoCAD user logged-in to Autodesk, feel free to share more info or a link that works. TIA

As for integration with the ribbon: that's not quite true. While some do plant themselves there, the majority of the freeware do not so you are stuck writing down shortcuts and abbreviations and adding them manually. The installation may work flawlessly, but there is no end-user service/ribbon/menu automated addition: who does that with add-ons? Isn't the whole point of add-ons is for them to be found and used in an application, free or not, they must all adhere to the one and same rule, EASE OF USE FOR THE END USER.

Message 15 of 15
JamesMaeding

oh, whuuuh?

sure enough, the link is no good anymore.  Thx for correcting me.

So much for my attempt at giving credit to Autodesk.

I'll check in and see whats going on, this does not make sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report