Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Jobs - Best Practice

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
623 Views, 3 Replies

Archiving Jobs - Best Practice

I am wondering what people are doing for Archiving Jobs that are complete?

Are are the options?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I'm not on the design side, but, I'll answer anyway. 😉

All record documents received during project closeout are immediately stored on our server. This server has write permissions for only three people, the majority are accessing read-only.

IT handles nightly backups onsite in our data center. I don't know about the off-site backups, as that's not my department.

Projects are filed by building, then ordered by date and floor.

(Data from said projects is also copied over to composite sets for each discipline, which are the live documents that are updated throughout the life of the building, but, obviously, the original sets are never modified. There are no specific technological restrictions in place preventing that, it's just something we don't do.)

There is an access database listing the files, but, most folks don't bother with it, they'll either browse by hand or use the windows explorer search.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 4
wundrlik
in reply to: mdhutchinson

That all depends on what the end goal is.  We are required to keep all of our documentation for 10 years after we no longer have the ship in our fleet.  We have set up a share called Archives, and when a ship is delivered to us, we archive the final delivery documents and any owners work into that shared drive.  Only 4 people have read/write access, but everyone else has read/execute.  This allows us to do studies, and anything else with the base information, but it cannot be changed.  We also are working on a change process on how we update these archives (as a ship may be changing things while in service), and making sure what we have reflects the existing conditions is a Class regulation.  We've found that this works very well, as we always have the original data available as a starting point.

There are any number of ways to archive, but you need to ask yourself, what are my legal requirements, and how long is it reasonable to keep the final set of documents on my server?  Once you know that, you can design/plan accordingly.

That's my 2 cents worth,

Ryan A Wunderlich
Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: wundrlik

In addition to any and all information provided here....

You must keep backups on more than one drive/location/media, all the time: simply relying on the 'server' or a backup tape/disk/harddrive is a nightmare/disaster waiting to happen. Some folks also go to the extra step of creating PDFs of all the material in the backup and store it separately as a 'record' set as well: the idea being if an archive fails you always have the neutral PDF 'print' copy to recover/trace over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report